Hello

Hello! Just thought I would introduce myself. I am Jim aged 57 and live with my long suffering other half on the Isle of Wight. I will collecting my (New to me) Jaguar S type in a couple of weeks from a local dealer. I have always wanted a Jaguar but for varying reasons it has never been the right place or time. I had a limited (Very!) budget to replace my car with, but was amazed at the prices that you can pick an S type up for. The one I chose was well within my budget. It is a 2001 3.0 automatic in Aspen green with a cream leather interior, 10 spoke wheels and is in immaculate condition. The reason I chose it was because of it's condition. Mileage is 97k which is very reasonable for its age, It all works! All of that leather, air con, the V6 and so on for virtually banger money. There were some Xj's available but I personally love the s type styling and I feel it is a more involving drive. I have read all of the "It's a Ford", "Its a Lincoln not a Jaguar" "You should buy a German car" posts that are all over the internet, but totally disregard them. This drives so well, I can't imagine how the later models drive!

I will post pictures and hope to share experiences with other S type enthusiasts who enjoy the car!

Thanks

JIm

Hi Jim,

I am new to this site also, I posted a few niggles that I had with mine and the response has been overwhelming, from just a handful of people. Anyway, sincerely hope you enjoy your purchase...and happy motoring.

Regards.

Phil

Hi Jim and Phil

Welcome to you both.

As Phil has mentioned, there are some very knowledgeable folks in the JOC, they have helped me many, many times since I joined (and have been very patient as well!)

Jim enjoy your car, and I'm sure we are all looking forward to seeing some pics

regards

Steve

Welcome to the club, Jim.

When people say that your S type is a Lincoln, tell them that their Rolls Royce i a Buick!

The s type  is a proper Jaguar and a future classic.  The floor pan may well be a piece of Detroit Lincoln, but when you think the most cars nowadays have parts in common you will realise that such things happen. And mostly are rather good.

The s type is a great car to drive - Grace, pace and space

Just enjoy the Jaguar experience.

Regards,

Peter. 

P1000190.JPG

• Like 1

Good morning Jim

A little belated, but hello anyway.  We, like you, are delighted with our ownership of  an S-type, and hang all the silly comments!    Ours is a '07 in Seafrost with ivory trim and is delightful as our (most days) transport.  Our high days and holidays transport is a '07 8500 mile XK X150 which is even more cossetted than the S!

We expect you'll have already got the hang of parking way away from others, preferably in an end bay, as those unguarded S-type doors are prime for careless dings!  Also, should you have need to change any of the bulbs in the rear clusters, be aware (as we weren't!) that the metal part of the Bulb holders are permanently live and will, therefore, if touched against the frame of the car, short out producing all sorts of strange light combinations until the relevant blown fuse is changed.

Reference the silly comments, a friend of my partners once pulled up at a car park security in his new X-type whereupon the attendant commented "enjoy your Mondeo"; that spoilt his day until he researched and found out just how much commonality there is/was in certain makes and models.  Don't suppose the same attendant would call out "enjoy your bit of tree" if somebody pulled up in a Morgan?

We can recommend the Jaguar Breakfast Club which meets at Gaydon on the first Saturday of each month.......a good social meet (look up on the net) with a good breakfast and the opportunity to visit the Jaguar Heritage Collection as well.   No fee (although you do need to buy a ticket to access the museum/cafe); just turn up.

As always, happy growling and enjoy the S

WP_20160723_14_04_05_Pro.jpg

Thanks to all for your comments. I will be enjoying my Jaguar experience! As regards the man who was told to enjoy his "Mondeo" when parking his X Type, Jeremy Clarkson summed that up by saying that 98% of our DNA is shared with Chimpanzees, it's the 2% that is important. And of course if it's good enough for the Queen then... 

With the S type, development was shared with Ford, and Jaguar technicians were involved in making the Mustang handle, no-one calls a Mustang a Jaguar. The Bentley uses a VW platform, Ford Ka is Fiat 500 as is the Panda and Alfa Mito, Saab used Vauxhall platforms..and so on across the motoring spectrum. One of Fords engineers said that a platform is only a set of numbers...

I will definitely try to get to a breakfast meet at Gaydon.

Thanks once again.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership