Fuel Consumption.

Old Peter

Hi Folks,

We have just returned from a  short break in the Lake District, which we visit quite frequently and which I have been doing for over 70 years.  On the way up my S Type [2.7 diesel] returned 45.7 mpg and on the return trip this morning the 134 miles done in 2 hours and 35 minutes [despite 30 miles of road works with a 50 mph limit] returned 46.6 mpg.  Rather pleased.

The S Type [Morgana] ventured into Patterdale via the Kirkstone Pass from Ambleside  --  the very steep bit as there had been an accident on the Pass on the Windemere Route --  without a problem.

In site of the weather we enjoyed the break.

Regards, 

Peter.

P1020234.JPG

My partner and I agree, that's not three bad at all.     Our S 2.7D, on a run, usually returns around 43 to 44.  Needless to say, cold starts and short trips locally it drops down to around 34 to 35 which is to be expected, although still acceptable for a car of the size and weight.          Our XK X150, when we take her out, returns around 24......but then you don't have an XK for economy runs!               We use Shell V-Power in both; we were a little cynical at first, but the S, in particular, seems happier.

Definitely better than my partner's one-time 3.9 V8 Range Rover which always developed a pull to the left when approaching a fuel station!

As always, happy growling

Hi

I get 34.5 MPG on my S-type R, which is the 4.2 Supercharged, which I think is great for the engine size and weight of car.

Never really checked it for local runs, But its not going to be brilliant, but like you say, never really bought it for economy, but must say the 4.2 V8 Supercharged is one of the smoothest engines I've every driven.

Its also worth mentioning if your after good or best economy out of your car, use the Cruise control more often, when the car is in cruise it goes into a economy mode, by keeping the revs as low as possible and locks the torque converter as well, there's a noticed difference in economy on my car if its driven without cruise control on runs

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

I must be doing something different, I don't get anywhere near those figures in my 2.7d . Think the position of my right foot is directly proportional to the width of my grin..ha

Smiles per miles are in abundance...😆

Hi Mark,

The long motorway/dual carriageway runs always give a good mpg.  The shorter stop - start runs gives me about 30 t0 35.  I aways use Shell V power and now and then I put in a small amount of Millers Oils Diesel Power Eco Max which reduces emissions, cleans the injectors and adds a small amount of Cetane to the fuel mix.

I rarely use my car for short runs as SWMBO's car is a Hybrid which runs on air.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Yes I realise that and I also use v power. I only have the need for one car and use it for all events including going to work in the daily slow moving crawl. In this stop start situation I get about 7-11 mph with no grinning or smiling what so ever......😈 . On the up side it does make me look forward to the weekend trips more.  I used to use millers max but stopped when i switched to v power my thinking was the v power was enough. What are your thoughts?

Cheers Mark 

Hi Mark, 

I am not a great fan of additives, but I was getting quite a few EGR problems and was recommended Millers Eco Max after which I never had any at all.  I do not use it for every fill up, but about every three or four.  

My car is the same year as yours and in the four years I have had it I have never  had a DPF problem and in the last year since using Eco Max no EGR problems either.

SWMBO found the Jaguar too difficult to park,  and wanted a bit of independence and as I am no fan of shopping I invested the money for a cruise to the Azores for a month in a car!

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Peter.

Touch wood I've had no EGR issues yet. Had it Terra cleaned when I bought it and soon after started using v power. But I'll keep the millers max in mind. Anything that stops me going shopping is good thing, a few times a year is more than enough ..ha

( except for car bits...they don't count..)

Hi Mark, 

I also had my car Terracleaned and also started using v power at the same time.  There is a Shell Station just 500 yards away that is also the cheapest in the area, which is rather useful.  I get a fiver every couple of months from the Shell Drivers club which is useful!

Regards,

Peter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership