XF Reversing Camera - Intermittent Fault

TeeMc

Hi,

I have a 2017XF R Sport.  I'm having issue with the reversing camera.  The camera should automatically display when reverse gear is selected.  However, this is not always the case in-fact maybe 20% of the time it doesn't work - instead the parking awareness graphic is displayed.  I've had the car back to the dealer twice, they simply say we have re-set the software and it should work no problem.  Unfortunately it only seems to repair the issue for a short time (day or two) before the issue returns.  Ironically when my car was in the dealership getting repaired I experienced the same issue in the courtesy car.  Are any other members experiencing similar issues?  If so, how was it resolved.

Many thanks in advance

Terry 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Terry,

I'm having a similar issue with my F-Pace R Sport. The car has less than 800 miles on the clock - needless to say I'm not impressed! It's been back into the dealership once and they found it needed a few software updates...this didn't really seem to solve the problem. For example yesterday we drove into town and had to faff around a fair bit getting into a tight parking space. The camera came on initially and then afterwards would not come on again. 

Have you got any further with this and how have your dealers been? I love my car but at only about a month old experiencing problems doesn't bode well for future reliability! 

Thanks,

Ceri

• 3 months later...

According to my dealership (who have been in contact with Jaguar technical) there’s a new software update which was meant to have landed in January. However as of last week it still hadn’t appeared. With my experience of Jaguar so far I’d not be surprised if it arrived mid-June!! 

Interestingly my dealership have reported that six of their vehicles are replicating the issue, however it only seems to be on cars with the basic software. It seems to be a fairly wide spread problem! 

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just a software problem that a quick update will sort or is it something a little more complex which could necessitate new hardware and several trips back to the dealers on a trial and error basis? 

My car is due to go in next week to have this problem rectified, but the dealer says they haven't come across it yet.

• 3 months later...

This is my third Jag. All three have had reversing radar problems (why do I keep on buying Jags?). This time it's the camera. All faults are intermittent, although this time it's more permanent. I have also taken them in from time to time for the dealer to look at. Sometimes it gets solved, but usually comes back. I guess this thread shows that there is no one great solution - it's back to the dealer (again), spend more money getting it "fixed". And then cross fingers hoping the fix lasts.

• 1 month later...

Hi Fergus,

They ended up replacing the entire loom on mine I think (the back windscreen had to come out) and it still didn’t rectify the problem. 

What sorted it for me was rejecting the vehicle and getting a new one with the professional software system. No issues so far thankfully! 

Ceri 

• 4 months later...

Hi. I have a 2018 XF S and the reversing cam has started to play up, the car is only 3 months old, so not happy. 

Has anyone had their camera problems rectified?  

Regards

Peter.

Hi Peter,

My car was in for service a few weeks ago and we were discussing the issue with my old car. Apparently it’s a software issue and it can be solved with a software update. Good luck!

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 5:15 PM, Fmcn51 said:

HI Ceri,

I had the problem on my XF. I bought a new cable which goes from the camera to the main loom. A little tricky to fit, but problem gone.

Regards

Fergus

Ceri, this sounds like it could be a solution to my problem. Do you know if this is a standard cable for all models of XF (saloon, not Sportbrake), and if so can you give me an idea of cost, part number and where you got it from? Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mac

Hi Mac,

Sorry, I don’t have a technical bone in my body when it comes to cars! All I know is that the entire loom was replaced which took a whole morning as the back windscreen had to come out. If your dealership contact Jaguar technical I’m sure they will be able to advise, this was all done per their request to see if they could find a solution to the problem. 

Recently though my dealership said the issue had been resolved on other vehicles using a software update.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Ceri  

Morning All,

I have been having an intermittent issue with my camera and sensors, however, for the last 3 days it has been permanent.

I get the dreaded "Cameras Unavailable, please contact the dealer", it first happened over Xmas, intermittently for a couple of days, then it was fine for a few weeks, then not, then fine, when this happens not only is there no reversing camera but all the sensors don't work, front and back.

I contacted the dealership and have it booked in for Mid March, this was the earliest slot where they have a loaner available while it's being checked.

From my googling, this fault, whilst not the most common it isn't uncommon either.

I will update again after I get it back in mid March.

Thanks,

Dom

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:42 PM, Ceri said:

Hi Mac,

Sorry, I don’t have a technical bone in my body when it comes to cars! All I know is that the entire loom was replaced which took a whole morning as the back windscreen had to come out. If your dealership contact Jaguar technical I’m sure they will be able to advise, this was all done per their request to see if they could find a solution to the problem. 

Recently though my dealership said the issue had been resolved on other vehicles using a software update.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Ceri  

Thanks Ceri.

The auto-electrician diagnosed a problem with the loom. He has sourced a replacement from Jaguar which is about £50 (probably need to add VAT to that!), so I just said to go ahead. The part won't be available for a couple of weeks so I'll let you know if it resolves the problem.

Thanks for your response.

Mac

• 2 weeks later...

The fault is nothing to do with software, the camera either works or it doesnt work and if it doesnt work or only works spasmodically it is probably a fault in the wiring harness between the camera lens in the boot lid and its connector to the main loom in the rear right hand wing behind the boot trim. The problem lies in cheap wiring looms using Aluminium wires where it exits the boot upper body and into the boot lid via a rubber flexible conduit. I have just replaced mine after it kept playing up, now its fine works every time,

11 hours ago, MartinTaf said:

Hi Mac, 

Did you have any luck with the loom? I seem to be having the same issue with my 2012 XF. 

Regards, 

Taf

Hi Taf.

The auto-electrician effected a temporary repair to the loom which has fixed the camera, but the quality is incredibly poor. However, the fact that the repair, albeit temporary and not very good, has given me back at least a very poor image implies to me that he was correct and it is the loom, not the software. He has got the loom now and I'll get it fitted in the next couple of weeks. I will keep you all updated via this thread, hopefully getting a few pictures as he goes. The loom cost £40 ish (+VAT) and will take a couple of hours to fit. He charges £50/hour (including VAT) so hopefully not too expensive.

Thanks to everybody for their help, I'll be back soon to update you all.

Cheers,

Mac

7 hours ago, colin hewetson said:

The fault is nothing to do with software, the camera either works or it doesnt work and if it doesnt work or only works spasmodically it is probably a fault in the wiring harness between the camera lens in the boot lid and its connector to the main loom in the rear right hand wing behind the boot trim. The problem lies in cheap wiring looms using Aluminium wires where it exits the boot upper body and into the boot lid via a rubber flexible conduit. I have just replaced mine after it kept playing up, now its fine works every time,

This fits in exactly with the issue I am having, and yes, it does appear to be the loom. Fingers crossed the new loom fixes the problem.

Cheers,

Mac

On 2/21/2019 at 9:05 PM, DO55MAC said:

Hi Taf.

The auto-electrician effected a temporary repair to the loom which has fixed the camera, but the quality is incredibly poor. However, the fact that the repair, albeit temporary and not very good, has given me back at least a very poor image implies to me that he was correct and it is the loom, not the software. He has got the loom now and I'll get it fitted in the next couple of weeks. I will keep you all updated via this thread, hopefully getting a few pictures as he goes. The loom cost £40 ish (+VAT) and will take a couple of hours to fit. He charges £50/hour (including VAT) so hopefully not too expensive.

Thanks to everybody for their help, I'll be back soon to update you all.

Cheers,

Mac

Hi Mac,

Sounds like exaclty the same fault on my 2013 XF Sport.

Makes a hideous screeching sound when I start the car then says 'camera not available, contact dealer'

It happened a couple of months ago so I booked it into the local dealership, but before the appoinment came around it started working again, so I cancelled the booking.  since then it's happening again so I've re-booked it for a few weeks time.

They tell emt the diagnostic charges are £180 per hour - so if I can help them to find the failt in a bout 5 minutes it's be a huge help!

Do you know what the part number / description is?  And can I buy it from the main dealer myself?

I've looked t the rubber hose between the boot lid & body - all looks fine but obviously can;lt see what's going on insite the tube.

Thanks in advance

Ivor

On 2/21/2019 at 1:32 PM, colin hewetson said:

Colin

Sounds like that's what I need to do.

Do you know the part number you needed?

And if it's likely to be the same for my 2013 XF Sport?

Thaks in advance

Regards

Ivor

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 9:05 AM, Dom13 said:

Morning All,

I have been having an intermittent issue with my camera and sensors, however, for the last 3 days it has been permanent.

I get the dreaded "Cameras Unavailable, please contact the dealer", it first happened over Xmas, intermittently for a couple of days, then it was fine for a few weeks, then not, then fine, when this happens not only is there no reversing camera but all the sensors don't work, front and back.

I contacted the dealership and have it booked in for Mid March, this was the earliest slot where they have a loaner available while it's being checked.

From my googling, this fault, whilst not the most common it isn't uncommon either.

I will update again after I get it back in mid March.

Thanks,

Dom

Update*

So I took it into the dealers, it turned out it was the wiring loom but not at the boot, it was the loom in the front bumper, it had moved and then proceeded to rub through a couple of wires.

All fixed now, they did try to blame it on a pheasant strike (there were still feathers inside my grill lol) but I told them the strike was long after the camera issue started.

I went the last 5 weeks without a reversing camera at all, now I find myself forgetting to look at the screen and just using the mirrors lol.

Anyway, all sorted on warranty, so no cost to me.

Dom

• 3 months later...

Hi,

ive just had a 2018 XF 20D delivered and am surprised to find that the reverse camera does not function - just the sensors. Also the front sensors don’t seem to be working either.

My assumption was that these are supposed to be standard and not extra. Please confirm.

I bought a new XF R SPORT Nov 2018,The reversing camera was an optional extra at £350.Sensors front and rear were standard factory fitted.On selecting reverse the camera functions with no problem,However on several occasions if the rear sensors sound when close to an obstruction the camera screen switches off.This I never find a problem as it’s part of the system design that indicates any hazard on the screen 

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Have this issue to, apparently the fuse box that controls the screen monitor  is under the wipers water tank (RHS underneath the dashboard) and the tank have a defect design, each and every time you use the wipers the water is leaking on top of the fuse box and causes damage