KEY FOB STOPPED WORKING

oliver's dad

Just back from a day out, went to lock the car with the fob and nothing happened.  None of the functions (lock, unlock, boot or headlamp) work on the fob or indeed my spare one, but I can still lock the car manually (which seems to also still activate the central locking too).

Would appreciate any help/ideas as to what the problem might be, and how to fix it...

so it still works when manually done with the key, so that means you will hear the actuators work, plus the solenoids too.  so all the chrome handles  close  inside the car?  check when you press each button on key fob that they click !  as you may need new "tactile buttons" see previous posts on this issue as it will help you.  ps hope it just needs a new battery ?  but I had to put new buttons on mine, works like new now. 

Thanks for the replies Russ and David.  I thought it might be the fob's battery too, but the guy I get to service the car changed that late this afternoon to no effect.  He also said it might need syncing with the other (spare) fob too - though I was quite surprised when that one failed to work as well (unless the batteries also dead in it!). 

I can hear all the same sounds (actuators and solenoids I suppose) when the car is opened and closed using the key in the driver's door, but no noises from the fob key buttons at all when they are pressed.  Is that a big (and costly) job David?  Where did you get the parts?  (I did read somewhere else on here about disconnecting and reconnecting the car's battery in an attempt to reset the computer?).  It's really quite puzzling because there's been no previous indication that anything was about to go wrong, and for it all to just stop working is strange...

Graham

I done a post on this in july where I used an old mobile phone buttons to replace my buttons on the key fob, please search the "x type forum" as this will help you,   if you still have no luck with the remote then it may need a Jaguar dealership to sort out.... which means it will cost you, good luck....dave

You can buy the fobs and buttons from eBay (and elsewhere I presume) and have them programmed by a local independent if required, generally cheaper than a dealership. Or there are services on eBay that will reburb your old fob if worn and broken switches, I've done both for the Jag and one the Discoveries after I was quoted £150 for a spare. Getting a new key and fob for the S-Type, was about 1/2 that and the key refurb only c£20 I think. The batteries are cheap, so worth swapping these our 1st, it shouldn't need reprogramming if originally programmed for the car, unless something has gone wrong :wink1:

• 2 years later...

Hi, my Jaguar X type 2.5 auto 2007, key fob stopped working.. i can start the car up manually but none of the buttons respond. I have changed the battery a few weeks ago, surely it can't be the battery so soon..pls advise anyone...rgds Adam

• 1 month later...

This just happened to me last week. I have since changed the fob battery but no change. Then I found out how to re-connect - or re-pair - the key to the car.

Open the car with the other key

With the door shut put the faulty key into the ignition

Turn the key from position 1 to position 2 and back 4 times - you should hear a beep, such as when the lights are left on

Take the key out of the ignition and press any button - you should hear the beep again

Then try the buttons. It took a few presses but then it was working perfectly.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:26 AM, The Proff said:

This just happened to me last week. I have since changed the fob battery but no change. Then I found out how to re-connect - or re-pair - the key to the car.

Turn the key from position 1 to position 2 and back 4 times - you should hear a beep, such as when the lights are left on

Take the key out of the ignition and press any button - you should hear the beep again

You have no idea how much this helped. I haven’t read this anywhere else, most were saying you shouldn’t have to re-pair the fob. I got extremely lucky that this was just posted. I was messing with my fob for over an hour making sure the connection to the battery was right, and that nothing was disconnected on the board. Tried this, worked first try. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
On 9/23/2020 at 5:26 PM, The Proff said:

Hey, I get the first beep, but not the second one when I press a button on the key. Do you know what I need to do?

• 3 months later...

• 1 year later...

its the same with me ,re newed fob battery ,re newed circuit borad and ruber butens ,programed it as on web site ,not working ,starts on the key ,opens on the key ,contacted a key company in kent ,where i love and he said ,with the jag xtype you do it manual ,is there any one from kent ,that knows ,some one ,can do it and not over £100 

TTK

Just one thing to check if you have programmed and refurbished the fob correctly before you spend any more money.

There is a small metal flap that closes as you take the key out of the ignition barrel that sometimes doesn't close fully when the key is removed as it wears.This can stop the fob signal working so lubricate it and make sure it shuts fully when you remove the key as it is part of the security system. Had this problem last year and this solved it for me.

Good luck😄

• 7 months later...

Hi Davenports, I seem to be having this issue. key stopped working so changed the battery. Didn't work so have attempted to re-pair (now dozens of times). I go through the sequence, get the first bong, remove the key from the ignition, press the fob button, but no further bong. Looking at the ignition shutter/flap I can see it's worn. It's not sticky, it moves freely but it's worn and leaves a gap which I believe is why I can't pair the key. I even tried lubricating it further, but it's definitely not sticking, just worn and now doesn't seal the ignition shut when the key is removed.

How could I fix this? Can I replace the shutter? Or would it work to somehow truck it into believing it's closed by sticking a small screwdriver into where the shutter would slot in?

Does anyone know where the sensor is which tells the car that the shutter is closed? I'm completely stuck at this point. Such a nightmare every morning when carrying my kids, to have to unlock it manually, lean down to turn the key in the ignition to prevent the alarm from going off, then strap the kids in the back.

Hi Macca,

The flap on mine still leaves a slight gap even after lubricating so I'm wondering if your problem may be something different.Do you have a local indy locksmith who can check if the fault is the fob. If it is you can usually pick them up cheap on eBay and get them cut and programmed by a decent locksmith for a lot better price than a Jag dealer.

I got a spare supplied ,cut and programmed for £ 98 last year locally which I thought was decent.

Good luck😊