Intermittent problem

Bill C

I have an cg 2010 v6 diesel. On occasion the dash will display warnings - gearbox fault, handbrake fault an ASL fault. These messages scroll though one after the other. The car drives perfectly normal and usually when I restart the car the problem disappears.

obviously I’m worried I will have a real problem at sometime. I would be grateful for any ideas or advice.

Bill

Hi Bill

i too get Handbrake Fault and Gearbox fault messages more regularly recently. If I switch off ignition remove key and start again it clears the message, sometimes takes 2 or 3 attempts. But like you say car drives fine. I tend to wait until all lights on dash go out before I turn to ignition.

mine is 2004 2.7d auto S Type 

be interesting to hear other views

best regards 

Bill W

Hi Bill,

The s type Jaguar [amongst others] can have a drain on the battery while it is stationary with the ignition switched off such as the alarm and such like items. And wen you start the car it usually take about 7 miles to put back the battery usage when starting. Lat week I found that my battery wasn't charging properly and having a Auto Accessory shop not far away I asked the owner [whose custom I use] to check the battery, which he did and found it in top condition. He did notice however that the negative terminal did not look as tight as it should be. A new terminal was provided at a cost of £7.99 and now the battery is not losing power and charges fully.  A battery should last about 5 years.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi to flat battery/low battery folk!

Relevant to all sorts of threads and posts which involve issues put down to potential battery problems, my other half (MOH) and I thought we'd put in our two p'worth.

Whilst it must be accepted that car batteries do have a finite life which can vary according to the use to which the vehicle is put, we feel that careful maintenance and "keeping on top of things" are of prime importance.

We have 3 Jaguars.........

our '07 S-type SE is used roughly 4 days out of  each week, covers usually about 150 miles each week, and lives outside.  The date label on the battery tells us it is the original battery (thus almost 11 years old) and, since we bought the S 18 months ago, has not been charged nor shown signs of needing so.

our '07 XK X150 has covered just 9800 miles from new and lives in a Carcoon.  Again, the date label on the battery tells us it is the original battery, and since we bought the XK almost 2 years ago, similarly has not needed charging etc.  Recently, after having stood for 6 weeks (including through the very cold spells), she fired up instantly and enjoyed a run.

our '98 XJ8 X308 which we bought 3 months ago lives outside for the moment and might only be used once a week covering 40 or 50 miles or so.   When we first had her, mindful that the previous owner had only pottered about (she has covered 65K from new), we gave the battery a charge to fully charged, the meter showing around 70% charged.  The battery appears to be 5 years old.  Since then, no issues, even after the recent cold spells where she had stood outside for almost a fortnight.

The common factor for all three.......on buying each car we accessed the battery, lifted out, cleaned around thoroughly, cleaned all terminals and leads, refitted terminal posts with petroleum jelly and coppaslipped each nut/bolt thread, cleaned and checked all earthing connections likewise.    Similarly with the battery mounting brackets/bolts etc., particularly on the S-type!        Every month we simply check terminal tightness etc.   Doesn't take long.

The only electrical issue we thought we might have was on the XJ8.......both entry fobs worked intermittently and had to be right up close to the car for them to work.      MOH opened up both fobs, replaced batteries (which were probably the 20 year old originals!), dismantled the fobs, cleaned all contacts and the back of the rubber buttons with iso-propyl alcohol and cotton buds (20 years worth of crud in the fobs!), re-assembled and re-programmed them to the car.  Voila and all is well with the (Jaguar) world!

Not the cure-all for battery drain issues, but it does go a long way to avoiding unnecessary grief and having to get the jump leads out in a downpour etc!!

As always, happy growling:toot:

2 hours ago, ActorBill said:

3 Jaguars??? GROWL 😁

Careful Bill. Carole has a couple of unpleasant minders that threaten to come a-visiting. Claude is the friendlier of the pair but operates a scorched earth policy nevertheless. The other one is just too scary to contemplate.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Bill

Reference Cubist's information : 

As an aside, Claude ( that's our friendly, well most of the time, Welsh fire-breathing dragon who is safely coralled at the moment and happily reading his daily copy of The Sun (see what I did there) and munching his packet of extra strong Fisherman's Friends, having had his last mission to an oak-beamed pile occupied by Mr Cubist somewhere in Shropshire curtailed).    With regard to the other fella who, apparently, is too scary to contemplate..............he's elsewhere in the house contemplating at the moment.  Now that really is scary!

(For further reference, try other threads posted upon by Cubist!).

As always, happy growling