Am I expecting too much from dealer?

Ash.w

Hi all,

after some advice on what I should expect from the dealer I bought my xf from.

i suspect I have a warped brake disc as I can feel a stop start motion when I'm braking like the brakes are biting then releasing, this is more noticeable at slow speed when creeping in traffic or when braking harshly. I've felt this since I've had the car on 25th October but to a lesser extent and has gradually got worse.

My question is as I've only had the a few months should I expect the dealer to foot the bill and rectify this as it was sold to me as an approved used car? I doubt this would be covered under the 2 year warranty but having the car for such a short amount of time I really don't think I should be having to pay out for this problem.

the car is a 2015 xf with 31000 miles on the clock, I've covered about 2500 miles since I had it in October.

its booked to go in on Friday so any opinions before then would be really appreciated.

cheers ash.

2 minutes ago, Ash.w said:

Hi all,

after some advice on what I should expect from the dealer I bought my xf from.

i suspect I have a warped brake disc as I can feel a stop start motion when I'm braking like the brakes are biting then releasing, this is more noticeable at slow speed when creeping in traffic or when braking harshly. I've felt this since I've had the car on 25th October but to a lesser extent and has gradually got worse.

My question is as I've only had the a few months should I expect the dealer to foot the bill and rectify this as it was sold to me as an approved used car? I doubt this would be covered under the 2 year warranty but having the car for such a short amount of time I really don't think I should be having to pay out for this problem.

the car is a 2015 xf with 31000 miles on the clock, I've covered about 2500 miles since I had it in October.

its booked to go in on Friday so any opinions before then would be really appreciated.

cheers ash.

Depending on what your waranty covers it might be covered. However, being a couple months of dealing with it, they may say that its a wear and tear item and still hit you with some form of charge. If you didn't report it to them when you bought it and get some form of documentation any legal stuff from it would end up being your word against theirs and they would just say it wasn't like that when it was sold.

Hi rooster thanks for the reply, I didn’t report it to them before as it was only just noticeable and I put it down to my driving and getting used to the brakes as they are much sharper than any other car I’ve owned. 

I think this may be down to the discretion and goodwill of the dealer but I just don’t expect to be paying for new brakes within a few months of buying an approved car from them. 

35 minutes ago, Ash.w said:

Hi rooster thanks for the reply, I didn’t report it to them before as it was only just noticeable and I put it down to my driving and getting used to the brakes as they are much sharper than any other car I’ve owned. 

I think this may be down to the discretion and goodwill of the dealer but I just don’t expect to be paying for new brakes within a few months of buying an approved car from them. 

Yeah I totally agree. It shouldnt have even become an issue. For one they shouldnt have sold it like that, although their tech may have had the same thoughts. 

If you go in the dealer with a little tact and don't just go in demanding it would help. Explain to them whats going on and that it was an issue just not enough to be blantantly obvious I'm sure they'll be pretty helpful at solving the issue. If they value their customers they would anyway. If they obviously already knew and they're being rude and not wanting to fix it without charging to a ton of money, just tell then you'll put your story on every form of social media possible and leave ratings on every site you can find their ad on. Yes thats a very !Removed! way to be but, as soon as they realize the impact that will have on future customers they normally quit being rude about things. Just be nice about it first. Sometimes issues with used cars are over looked if they arent super noticeable. Totally understandable considering as many cars as some of these places deal with, and no one is going to offer up information that could lower the trade in value when giving up their car.

yes I agree, going in like a bull at a gate will get me nowhere. The car was the sales managers company car but it had done only 200 miles in 4 months before I bought it (think they must have used it as a run around before putting in on the forecourt).

I can totally see how it could have been missed, the important thing is how they handle it and the position they take in rectifying it. 

22 minutes ago, Ash.w said:

yes I agree, going in like a bull at a gate will get me nowhere. The car was the sales managers company car but it had done only 200 miles in 4 months before I bought it (think they must have used it as a run around before putting in on the forecourt).

I can totally see how it could have been missed, the important thing is how they handle it and the position they take in rectifying it. 

25 miles in a month isnt even really enough to keep the brakes from getting surface rust on them. Using it that little I doubt they even noticed it especially if it was just short trips up the road like our parts guys at work do. Unless someone stopped in front of them and forced them to slam on the brakes it probably felt normal, especially if it wasnt that noticeable when you bought it. 

At this point I think your best reaction is going to depend on how they react when the time comes. 

I could see them not doing anything at all if it wasnt there at the time of purchase. But since it was, any issue involving the operation of brakes could result in a serious accident possibly even someone getting dead out of it. Even just a warped rotor is going to effect the efficiency of the brakes. So you could argue that they sold you an unsafe car. 

If they value their reputation they should fix the situation, however, since you didn't tell them at time of purchase they're going to stick by well you did something to cause it afterwards. 

As I said earlier I don't know if brakes are considered a wear and tear item at 2 months after purchase on the warranty so they may hit you for the price of parts. But I cant see paying the price of parts and labor on something that was there to begin with. I learned long ago when test driving cars, especially used cars, any sound or vibration or anything that wouldnt be in the operation of the car brand new needs pointed out to the dealer. Especially in situations like this. But also to help get the car for cheaper. Alot of times if you point out issues like hey the brakes need changed, they either sell the car cheaper or repair it and still sell the car for the same price.

Update 

been to stratstone Jaguar in Nottingham today and they confirmed to me I had a warped brake disc, they replaced front discs and pads and rear discs free of charge without discussion, they didn't replace rear pads as they said they are not very old and had still 80% wear left so they took them out cleaned them up and refitted them, this has cured the problem. 

So far couldn't be happier with the service from them at Nottingham, I would recommend them to anybody. Nico dealt with me when I bought the car and he was really helpful with no pushy sales rubbish, and now it seems the after sale service is also very good. Big thumbs up from me 👍🏻

On 16/01/2018 at 3:24 PM, Rooster210 said:

25 miles in a month isnt even really enough to keep the brakes from getting surface rust on them. Using it that little I doubt they even noticed it especially if it was just short trips up the road like our parts guys at work do. Unless someone stopped in front of them and forced them to slam on the brakes it probably felt normal, especially if it wasnt that noticeable when you bought it. 

At this point I think your best reaction is going to depend on how they react when the time comes. 

I could see them not doing anything at all if it wasnt there at the time of purchase. But since it was, any issue involving the operation of brakes could result in a serious accident possibly even someone getting dead out of it. Even just a warped rotor is going to effect the efficiency of the brakes. So you could argue that they sold you an unsafe car. 

If they value their reputation they should fix the situation, however, since you didn't tell them at time of purchase they're going to stick by well you did something to cause it afterwards. 

As I said earlier I don't know if brakes are considered a wear and tear item at 2 months after purchase on the warranty so they may hit you for the price of parts. But I cant see paying the price of parts and labor on something that was there to begin with. I learned long ago when test driving cars, especially used cars, any sound or vibration or anything that wouldnt be in the operation of the car brand new needs pointed out to the dealer. Especially in situations like this. But also to help get the car for cheaper. Alot of times if you point out issues like hey the brakes need changed, they either sell the car cheaper or repair it and still sell the car for the same price.

Update 

been to stratstone Jaguar in Nottingham today and they confirmed to me I had a warped brake disc, they replaced front discs and pads and rear discs free of charge without discussion, they didn't replace rear pads as they said they are not very old and had still 80% wear left so they took them out cleaned them up and refitted them, this has cured the problem. 

So far couldn't be happier with the service from them at Nottingham, I would recommend them to anybody. Nico dealt with me when I bought the car and he was really helpful with no pushy sales rubbish, and now it seems the after sale service is also very good. Big thumbs up from me 👍🏻

3 hours ago, Ash.w said:

Update 

been to stratstone jaguar in Nottingham today and they confirmed to me I had a warped brake disc, they replaced front discs and pads and rear discs free of charge without discussion, they didn't replace rear pads as they said they are not very old and had still 80% wear left so they took them out cleaned them up and refitted them, this has cured the problem. 

•  

Very good news Mate, glad to see the awesomeness of the UK doesn't stop at the message forums. A mate of mine from the UK cougar club lives in Nottingham.