DTC Decoding

GuydLV

Hi, a series of warnings started to appear on my dashboard: the engine light and the ABS are on, and there are messages that say there is an 'ABS fault', 'DSC is not available' and vehicle has 'restricted performance'.

I entered the self test menu for the lack of a proper JLR diagnostic tool and retrieved a total of 15 DTC's. I then tried to decode them following the guidelines below, but even then I am only able to match 9 of them with DTC's listed in the workshop manual. I have attached the DTC's reported by my S-Type.

Guideline for DTC decoding:

1XXX relates to Enhanced (manufacturer specific) codes P1
     9XXX relates to Body Enhanced (manufacturer specific) codes B1
     AXXX relates to Body Enhanced (manufacturer specific) codes B2
     DXXX relates to Undefined (manufacturer specific) codes U1
     EXXX relates to Unde
fined (manufacturer specific) codes U2

Obviously I would like to find out the meanings of these codes separately but I am hoping they could share a common cause as the car was left parked for 8 months without being driven at all and then suddenly reports all these issues at once.

My current leads:

1. Someone told me it was the DSC module that needed to be repaired by that a service like this one.
  2. The brake booster could be ko. I did do the usual tests and although I am not fully convinced by its behaviour , I am not sure wheter a faulty brake booster would trigger that many alarms.
  3. Speed sensor ko: I have checked the driver side one at the front, and it looked ok visually all clean.
  4. Alarms need reset: would it be possible that some of the DTCs like the ones related to the battery just need clearing? this would allow to tell apart the relevant DTCs.

Would you have any ideas on the decoding of these codes and why I could not find reference to some of those? or any similar experience?

DTCs.thumb.png.0a88929ddeb9d4cc935f9d93d67d789c.png

Hi Joe, thanks for retrieving these descriptions. I will look at them in detail.

Yes, I did charge the battery and its voltage looks ok. But I guess the code then need to be cleared using a software or will they clear on their own if the fault is gone?

By the way, I know I have a genuine braking issue but that's all I was expecting in terms of warning.

Reviewing all the codes I think I can rule out the ones related to battery fault and also the ones reporting faults which I am not seeing as the ones related to headlamps or lighting.

Ruling out: B1246, B1317, B1318, B1470, B1681, U1752.

This leaves me with:

• CAN related DTC's: U1752, U1900, U2521
  • A/CCM DTC: B1262 (which I can live with)
  • Unkown DTC's: B1352, U1751, U2195, U2197, U2200

The CAN's ones worry me as I don't know how to address them. But I think that what I will is to focus on solving the real problems, hoping that the warnings will go away after clearing the codes. I have an issue with the braking, as the pedal has to be pushed very hard in order to brake as if the car would never stop. The other one is with the performance as if the car had no power at all although the engine starts smoothly and on all the cylinders (apparently).

I'll investigate this and share my findings.

Hi Guy,

Just a thought; you say the car was parked for 8 months, would that have been under cover and dry or outdoors?

On balance, given the number of DTCs you're looking at, my strategy would be to re-set everything using a suitable code reader and, after making sure the battery is fully charged as Joe suggested, take it for a quick spin to see what DTCs might then pop up. You may find that you're then looking at a much smaller number of problems and perhaps none at all - a long shot perhaps but feasible. Also, some DTC codes seem to be so minor that the on-board warning systems will not report them and they can therefore hang about in the system for an age until you re-set them - I recently went through everything on my S Type and came across quite a few that I otherwise would not have found.

Regarding the Speed Sensors, I have some recent, and bitter, experience with these and commonly troubles originate with those on the rear rather the front because the business end of the sensor and the reluctor ring are both exposed to the elements. Trouble here with give you both ABS and TCS problems and, as Joe informed in a previous discussion, will initiate the MIL (Amber Engine Warning) and may drop the car into limp-home mode - which could be why the engine does not appear to be performing - but its just as likely that the CAN problems are also responsible for this.

Given the number of CAN errors you found I would be tempted to trace all the connections and cable runs between the various Control Units to make sure the connections are good, free from corrosion and dry (a spot of DW40 may help). As far as the CAN cable itself is concerned I would be looking for damaged insulation or perhaps pest damage, the mice in my neighbourhood have been known to chew on wiring of all types. If you can find the corresponding ends for each of the CAN cables you can check continuity with a Multi Meter if you cannot visually inspect the wiring.

Hopefully the above will help with your efforts but please keep us posted - my experience so far is that 'what goes around, comes around - in my direction'.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the comprehensive answer.

The car was indeed left without being used by the previous owner. And I have good reasons to think he left it outdoor exposed to the elements and animals.

I am following the strategy you recommend. I am just waiting for my Mangoose interface to be delivered so that I can confirm codes raised and then erase them to start from scratch. I have also started to check the various connectors on the bus between the various modules, so far nothing to report but I still have quite a few to check. The only possible sign of pest is in the insulation that is found below the bonnet, below that plastic cover at the base of the windshield. It was crumbling but not sure if it was for mice or just because it's old.

Good point about the speed sensors, I will check the rear ones as well... as soon as the snow and the wind will be gone!

• 4 weeks later...

Mangoose/Mongoose cable now received, SDD v1.30 installed on XP, Mongoose cable detected but this is as far as I can get.

As I am trying to connect to a 2002 S-Type, the SDD software reports that no symptoms map are available and I am invited to launch the legacy IDS tools. Which is fine so I click on the link. An IDS window appears along with another web browser pop up but then both disappear and nothing happens.

I have tried to look for the application file of the legacy IDS in the installation folder but I could not find it.
I have seen reports of similar problems on the web but no solution mentioned.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? can this be solved or worked around easily?

Thanks

Hi

is it installed on windows XP pro, Has to be the Pro version

It starts up and you get a warning screen and you have to click continue

then you get a vin screen, you either enter it manually or hit read, once the vin is there, you hit indentify vehicle

as your is a 2002, sdd will fail, as thats for post 2005 cars, then it will load ids

make sure you have windows xp pro

have a look  at the video below

cheers

Joe

Thanks Joe, indeed I installed it on XP Pro.

I can go successfully through the various stages you mention. It is just the launch of IDS that seems to halt for an unknown reason. I go as far as 1:23 in the video, then the IDS launch window and the small browser window on the top left corner both close and nothing happens.

I will reinstall the driver, as someone suggested I used the Mongoose driver from the DVD I got and not from the SDD 1.30 install pack.
But if you have any other ideas, they are more than welcome.

I managed to get a VIN reading so I think loading the drivers that came with the cable helped rather than using the one that came with SDD. However the launch of IDS is still aborting for some reason and there is no error message at all.

Just to show what happens, I have filmed that part and put it here on YouTube.

Could it be because of that icon on the top right corner saying "activation required" that IDS does not launch properly?

not sure why thats not working, not seen that before

but the copy of windows is not activated, as you can see the keys in the bottom right

dont think that should effect it though

was it installed on  a clean install of windows xp pro

cheers

joe

• 2 months later...

I performed a fresh install of Windows and of SDD/IDS over a clean installation of XP Pro. No licence issue anymore but still no luck! IDS initialization stops for some reason after the initial IDS launching screen. Very frustrating!

I have investigated further and it seems that the launch of IDS is actually linked to the opening of an exe file called "tabman.exe" found in C:\Program Files\JLR\Runtime. This does not work either if I launch it directly from here.

However - I think that from the logs - I saw that this "tabman.exe" in turns calls a programme called "testman.exe". This one starts properly in my case and I can select .app files that takes me to similar screens as some of the ones seen on the video.

This is not really usable this way, but it gives an idea on what part of the IDS programme does not work.

I will keep on searching although it would be of great help if anyone could share a working image of SDD/IDS... 🙄

12 hours ago, GuydLV said:

I performed a fresh install of Windows and of SDD/IDS over a clean installation of XP Pro. No licence issue anymore but still no luck! IDS initialization stops for some reason after the initial IDS launching screen. Very frustrating!

I have investigated further and it seems that the launch of IDS is actually linked to the opening of an exe file called "tabman.exe" found in C:\Program Files\JLR\Runtime. This does not work either if I launch it directly from here.

However - I think that from the logs - I saw that this "tabman.exe" in turns calls a programme called "testman.exe". This one starts properly in my case and I can select .app files that takes me to similar screens as some of the ones seen on the video.

This is not really usable this way, but it gives an idea on what part of the IDS programme does not work.

I will keep on searching although it would be of great help if anyone could share a working image of SDD/IDS... 🙄

Hi,having had experience with the 'tabman.ex' when trying to use the mongoose some years ago the problem turned out to be lack of RAM on the device.

Maybe if you install a  higher RAM it may well cure the problem you have.

Good Luck.

Graham

Thanks Graham

I have just tried adding more RAM. It was initially installed it with 1024 MB to be in line with the specs. But even with 2048 MB I still have the same problem.

For the moment, I managed to read the DTC's using testman. Apparently I have faulty front and rear right ABS sensors. I have even been able to use datalogger to read the speed from the four wheels to double check the indications provided by the DTC. So testman works but it is not really ideal using it that way, and I cannot seem to find all the features apparently available in tabman. For example, that part of the application you can use to pair keys.

Guy

20180613_220643.jpg