Weird

Pietro

Greetings everyone!

I'm a newbie, and I'm not British, sorry for that, one can't be perfect. :)

Reading theese topics comes to my eyes, that they're nothing else about, but errors, faults, problems. I'd like to buy an XF manufactured between 2012-2015, I think they are real headturners. The numerous problems mentioned by owners started to make my head turn also. Rhytmically from the left to the right side, changing my mood from a big "YES, DO IT!" to a big "DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!" and my smile turned into a big, wondering 'O' shape.

I currently own an extremely reliable, totally practical, simply clever car. One of the main things I'd really miss about it would be the level of reliability, the car didn't let me down in the past 14 years (!). Of course, this required regular, almost neurotical level of maintenance.

Please, tell me, that this tarnished British brand can provide the same reliability, considering appropriate level of maintenance!

Please, convince me, or speak me off, because reading this forum gives me rather headache, than motivation. 

Thank you for any response!

Peter

I cant comment on the xf Jaguar, as I drive the x type....but I do have to look after the old girl, !     lucky for me I can do some repairs myself.  my friend had the xf when it first came out ? but after a while he started to pick comments on it, and now drives audi ......

Welcome to the club, Peter.

You will hear much about something on a car failing.  You hear about failures on most car forums. Lots of people don't sat that they don't have problems as they are not seeking for advice and assistance.

Well, here is a different story. I bought my 11 year old s type almost 5 years ago and it is extremely reliable.  Small issues[not problems] have cropped up when the battery is flat, when I have only done short runs etc. Any issue has been corrected simply in 10 minutes or less.

Costs - a new set of tyres - and a new battery and new windscreen wipers.  I have also bought some cleaning materials.  The water pump failed once and it cost £133 to have a new one fitted. I have done 30,000 miles in this 5 years without it letting me down.  It is a 2.7 Diesel with all the bells and whistles and on a long drive I usually get over 45 mpg and twice I have got over 50 mpg,

I use premium fuel with the odd additive to keep the system clean.  I have not had a problem the DPF due to me ensuring there is a longish trip once a month.

Great Cars.

Regards,

Peter.

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

Dear Peter,

I have to say your car's an absolute stunner. It looks factory fresh, I can see the amount of love and care it gets. Not from these pics only, I've seen the others as well attached to various topics. I do the same thing with my car, do everything, that needs to be done, earlier than planned, every squeeks, noises, vibes're hunted and killed almost instantly, I always fill premium diesel (OMV MaxxMotion) to the tank, and the car's still flawless. After 14 years my conditions're cahnging, I can step up to the premium section. The german trio's a huge bromide, Italians produce cars that makes your eyes water, but your best friend'll be the garage manager, French cars are extremely comfortable, but either boring, or unnecessarily clownish. Swedish cars....Well, little cold for your money,

So, we arrive at Great Britain, with the agelessly elegant exterior and rolling cigar club - like interior. Perfect combination, toke me off of my feet.  It's good to hear, that with  apropriate maintenance you can get rid of sudden brakedowns, as my largest fear  factor. I think I'll go for it.

There's one last question, about the engines available. As a daily routine, I travel 2x11 miles, some more on the weekends. I cover monthly around 620miles. I think, for this mileage a petrol one would be better. V6s are a bit thursty I think, do you haver any information about the 2.0 turbo?

Thank You in advance: Peter

Dear Ron,

that's exactly, what I'll do. You helped a lot, it's always calming, to hear from actual owners that the car isn't as expensive, as faulty, as hard to repair as you can hear from rumors, or complaining owners, who possibly own a non properly maintained car. Of course improper maintenance isn't the car's fault, but blaming it on the car's always easier, than admitting your own failures.

I hope your wifes back got better in the meantime.

Thank you for the advice!

I think I'll love my Jag.

As others have said forums are a skewed version of events because the majority of people are there for advice with issues. If you look at the real world, since around 2006ish at least Jaguar has been in the top 5 manufacturers in reliability studies. Usually missing out to the likes of Lexus. But go on a Lexus forum and you will probably find similar to what you find here. No car is fault free. But the faults always come to the top. Look at the online reviews of your favourite restaurant and you will get an idea.

The short story they are pretty damn good compared to most from the research I have done.

With regards to the engine choice. The 2 litre turbo petrol is a very new engine to the Jag line up. And doing the short journeys you are doing you probably wont find any major cost differences between that and the more proven V6 engine that has been around for a few more years.

Gentlemen,

I feel convinced now. The version I'll be after'll be an XF, from the era between 2012-2015, with a 3.0 V6 petrol under the bonnet. And I'm pretty much excited about the project and the adventure.

Thank you for the useful responses!