A Column Windscreen Finisher Plates

Still got a little time to kill and I seem to be on a bit of roll so another piece that may be of interest to a few.

When I bought Black Bess last year I noticed that the Windscreen Finisher Plates on the A Column were looking a little tired and in a couple of spots surface rust had broken through the paint. As everyone should know rust has something in common with ice-bergs insofar that what you can see is typically on 10% of the total so a re-furb of the plates went onto the short term To-do List. Occasionally, until I got around to actually doing the job, I would take a look at how the plates were fitted and, finding nothing obvious, I was growing concerned that these had been bonded in place somehow or were craftily snugged into a recess in the door seals. Perusal of the Workshop manual provided no clues and the available diagrams so small it was impossible to make out any details.

Anyway, in for a penny, in for a pound and in best Edd China tradition off I goes to Halfords to pick up some Black Satin and a selection of Wet and Dry. Naturally, and as always, I came back with a few more bits and pieces but least said about that the better.

Having armed myself with the necessary I set about puzzling out how to get the Finishers off so that I could do the necessary. After fifteen minutes of pushing and shoving the plates and the surrounding mouldings - and a little head-scratching I admit - I finally realised that I needed to open the perishing doors so I could peal back the door seal. Under which, I was pleased to find, are four shiny screws that hold the plate in place. Having got the plates off I was also pleased to find that the extent of the rust was much less than I could reasonably expect. In short order the the plates were rubbed down, all rust removed, sprayed with several coats of Hammerite Satin Black and hung up to dry in the shed. Next day they went back on a treat except for the occasional and, I'm glad to say temporary, loss of a screw (they're rather small and I've got fat fingers) and now Black Bess is looking less tired. Amazing what a a little cosmetic surgery can do.:thumbup:

By The Way - one of my additional purchases from Halfords included a Clay Bar and Spray which I had intended to use when the weather gets a little warmer. By chance earlier this week I opened the box to find the spray but no clay bar!  Some dastardly !Removed! had obviously nicked it and put the box back. So check the contents folks before you leave the store.

Oh, and if you're the !Removed! that nicked mine, I hope you scratched your paint.:taz:

Well done Steve, I've enjoyed you reading your last posts!

Not sure if the A column finishing trim parts are the same as I need to attend to? Do you have a pic? On my X200 they are cloth covered, so I guess not! The cloth on mine has got loose and floppy. I would hope a hour or so with a can do attitude and perhaps some spray or other adhesive would show a marked improvement, but I'm afraid it's quite low down on the job list at the moment!

I generally avoid Halfrauds at all costs, but if they support the club and offer 15% I could consider softening my attitude (probably not though!). I tend to find Amazon (and eBay) a great source for a lot of the bits I would've gone there for once upon a time. Amazon would've accepted a return on your clay bar and spray, no questions asked. Plus I also aim to get / blag trade at the local auto factors, which are invariably offer a better deal at a fraction of the costs of the aforementioned retailer...

All the best :wink:

1 hour ago, Russ68 said:

Not sure if the A column finishing trim parts are the same as I need to attend to?

Hi Russ,

From what you say I think yours is the interior trim letting you / itself down (pardon the pun). Mine were the exterior metal plates right beside the windscreen, sorry no pics, they're normally black but some may have been colour coded to the car.

I agree re Halfrauds on balance and do make extensive use of eBay and sometimes the other crew. Must admit the best bargains I've found so far are courtesy of eBay and I always check there before anywhere else.

Good luck with the interior trim (assuming I'm right) but my guess would be that the column cover can be removed relatively easily if you can find out how its attached - which seems to be the difficult task for both interior and exterior trim bits.

Take care with this bad weather.

Cheers,

Steve:thumbsup:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership