Motorways in Bad Weather.

Old Peter

Yesterday I drove the 106 miles to Flint in North Wales with a lot of time on the M6 and M56 in very bad weather.  Visibility was poor and heavy rain as well as heavy traffic with road works thrown in did not make it a pleasant drive.  What surprised me most was the only one car I saw had it its rear fog light on when visibility was only about 80 yards.  I suppose that some drivers could not be bothered as even in bad weather they tailgate, even when there are chevrons on the road guiding the driver into the proper distance between cars.  That was the M6.  The M56 was much more civilised, with no tailgating, no lane hopping, and she very good mannered driving.  It took almost 4 hours to drive 106 miles!

Coming back, the weather was a lot better but someone had the great idea of getting two wide loads to travel between Manchester and Birmingham which a frustrated me getting of the M6 at Exit 16 to travel along the A34 and then  along the A51, --  confusing Doris, the lady in the Sat Nav, -- I knew those roads very well.  It was much more pleasant even though a large lorry was having trouble on the slight uphill stretches, probably with the full load.

I would say, though, the S Type was a pleasure to drive, so comfortable, and with the engine quietly eating up the miles, and even retiring around 40 mpg for the round trip.  The return trip, with half of the journey on A roads, took two and a half hours!.

Too true, Ron.

I find that leaving fog lights on when not necessary is as disconcerting a seeing a trafficator on when the driver is obviously not going to make a turn.   Just careless driving. 

Peter.

• Like 1

When I passed my test [first time] we still had to use hand signals.  You also had to use them on open tractors when on the open road, and during the war [WW2]  when holding the reins on a horse and cart they also came in very useful.

I have now been officially on the road -- no age limit then on horse drawn vehicles-- since 1941!

Regards,

Peter.

6 hours ago, R2e said:

Sure you would look splendid with your top-hat and tails bowling along at 10 mph madly making hand signals :horse:

Actually when I did my first test (in Zambia), hand signals were required, and as a rider of old British bikes without the sissy indicators introduced by the Japanese, hand signals were again a necessity. It all seems so quaint now, particularly the slowing down, and stop, signals

We always dress for dinner [after cocktails] in Sutton Coldfield, but I must admit than  I no longer wear a morning suit these days.

My Triumph T100 blew up - con rod hit crankcase - on 13th June 1964  -  a Honda replaced it for 75k miles!

When police were on point duty, the straight ahead signal was always welcome.

Peter.

2 hours ago, R2e said:

Pass me my smoking jacket whilst the ladies retire.........

Oh for the days when ladies were retiring, or shy, or ladies! Little chance of that in Northamptonshire I'm  afraid :sadwalk:

Cue the feminist onslaught

6 hours ago, Mike_eng said:

...............It's a long way to Wales :scared::scared:

It may be a long way but with a choice of S Type and XK to hand that may not translate into very long at all. You'd best hope that the 2HP (roughly equivalent to 200cc) ride is the only one available.

Either way I'de get my running shoes on if I were you.:fear:

8 hours ago, R2e said:

Cue a blast of impolite, if not downright rude, welsh epithets from Carole........................ :whistling1::whistling1::whistling1:

Mike, I'll say this for you, you know how to live dangerously 

MOH and I say "heavens germergatroyd, what a reputation to have!!".      Actually, reference 

8 hours ago, Mike_eng said:

Oh for the days when ladies were retiring, or shy, or ladies!

I might consider retiring in 5 or 6 years time, I'm not really shy, but I can behave like a lady............not to mention, Ron, I appear to have mislaid my Concise Book of Epithets.  

Meanwhile...

1 hour ago, cubist said:

It may be a long way but with a choice of S Type and XK to hand that may not translate into very long at all

...just to obtain maximum annoyance....we have now added a '92 XJS (named Purrrdy) to the stable, so there are 3 options to translate into not very long at all.  Man (or should I say "person") the barricades.

More about the XJS shortly, but the Practical Classics Restoration & Classic Show has a lot to answer for.!!

Never mind, Ron, we promise not to epithet at you in Welsh...........there's lovely, isn't it, don't you, aren't we.

As always, happy growling

6 hours ago, R2e said:

I won't say how long it took me lest someone thinks I might have an inaccurate speedo causing me to inadvertently break the speed limit.

Theres nowt like a fast Cat to keep us older boys happy - well, I suppose the youngsters may be similarly affected by the feline pheromone exuded by the Jag but I they lack the experience to enjoy them to the full.:tongue_smilie::wheelchair:

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2018 at 6:15 AM, Old Peter said:

When I passed my test [first time] we still had to use hand signals.  You also had to use them on open tractors when on the open road, and during the war [WW2]  when holding the reins on a horse and cart they also came in very useful.

I have now been officially on the road -- no age limit then on horse drawn vehicles-- since 1941!

Regards,

Peter.

Hand Signals are still in the Test for Driving Instructor or Driving Examiner.

On 4/4/2018 at 6:36 PM, Guest said:

I bet he knows all the hand signals too - so better watch out Mike.:punk:

When I passed my test hand signals were obligatory.  Think of a dull day in November in a mini with sliding windows.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2018 at 3:17 PM, Mike_eng said:

Hi Peter,

I know the clue is in your Nom de plume but "trafficator"!!!!, you're really starting to show your age now my friend!

Mike

85 in a few weeks  --  I hope to finish successfully my IAM course before I am 86.

Peter.

• Like 2