King Bob

Suppedraken

First of all, let it be clear that I never named a vehicle in my life. This is all the work of the favourite wife.

Some of you may know that the garage tent collapsed under the snow and put dents/holes in the hood, the roof and the trunk. Thankfully, we're fully covered. The car is now painted and almost ready to come home from the local body shop, except that they're still waiting for the moon roof console or something like that. The first one they got from Jaguar Norway was wrong and now they're waiting for one that's coming all the way from the UAE.

They also found rust in the sills, after the dealer allegedly took care of that under warranty in October. It seems to me that all they did was smear something on the sills without welding or repairing. When we get it back, we're taking it back to the dealer to let them take care of the sills. They're decent people, so hopefully we don't have to take legal action.

I'll keep you posted.

IMG_6555-1.jpg

IMG_6557-1.jpg

IMG_6560-1.jpg

IMG_6562-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

Glad to hear that King Bobs back on the road to recovery.

Hopefully the garage is too and will resist similar pressures in the future.

Cheers and hope you get the Jag grin back asap.

• 1 month later...

Apparently, there's only one sun roof frame left in the whole wide world and it's in the United Arab Emirates. And the prefered mode of shipping seems to be by camel, because we've been waiting for two months now. In the mean time, we have a Audi Q5. Nice car, but not something we would ever consider buying (unless someone held a gun to or collective head and told us to choose a SUV we would consider buying).

• 2 weeks later...

I love this car! 😀

The favourite wife is completely happy, too. But I'm sure she wants a XK8 also. 🤩

The Q5 was nice, but it didn't have any personality at all. The people at Kapp Bil og Karosseri did a good job 👍 and the next step is taking it back to the dealer to find out what they're going to do about the sills. 😐

IMG_6623-1.jpg

IMG_6620-1.jpg

First class news and looks like an excellent piece of work by the boys at 'tongue twister' body shop. Am I right in thinking that you have forgone the sun-roof though?

Mind you its an odd part of the world for a sun-roof anyway.

All the best for your dealer butt kicking to come.:whip:

9 hours ago, R2e said:

All you need now is a leaper and a mesh grille!

I'm in two minds about both. On the one hand, a leaper would be nice, but then on the other hand, making holes feels just wrong. The mesh grille looks very nice, but it's not original and a bit R-lookin. The mesh grille is likely to happen at some point in time, though.

Since they put the steering wheel on the wrong side, I'll try to counter that by driving on the wrong side of the road. 🙂

4 hours ago, cubist said:

Am I right in thinking that you have forgone the sun-roof though?

Sorry, it didn't show in the pictures, but the sun roof is still there. I've never been a big fan of them, but it's nice to have sometimes. And contrary to popular belief, Norway can be very warm in the summer; 25C and up is common. 😎

Sorry boys I am of the opinion Jaguars should be kept in as original a condition as possible, as with all things of quality. Mine is as it was when it emerged from the Castle Bromwich works in 2002, no leaper (never fitted to S Types produced for the UK) and the original waterfall grille. "Why gild the lily". I do however appreciate other owners do like to add their own personal preferences and I have no problem with this provided non spec mods are not too outlandish, I have seen some shockers. As with antiques, things that are in original condition tend to look better and are certainly worth more than "tarted up" ones, not that I am suggesting that a leaper and a mesh grille is "tarting up". I trust that I have not offended anyone with my comments and look forward to any opinions other members may have on the subject. All the best to all members, enjoy your Jags. Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

Generally, I am of the same opinion as yourself, although I did fit a leaper after three years of thought, plus the fact that the Mk2 and S type of 1965 which I wanted when I first saw them in the sixties did include a leaper.  A lack of money in 1965 prevented me from buying one, as a house came first, and 29 years of company cars kept me quite cheaply on the road.

My S Type is a 2007 model. coming off the production line on the 13th March 2007 and being delivered to the dealer on the 28th of the same month, and other than the leaper all it has had done to it is an updated SatNav disc, and a detachable [magnetic] GB plate which stays in the boot when not abroad, plus two more powerful [205 more] headlight bulbs as there is an absence of front fog lights.  There s also an AA badge - I am a member - on the bonnet.

But as Ron says, each to their own, but sometimes, going a bit too far detracts rather than improves, in my opinion.

Regards,

Peter.

IMG_0178.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Well, then. The dealer has had it for a week and on Friday said it's ready to come home again. As you can understand, I was a bit sceptical and asked for pictures of the work in progress. They didn't have any, but said that not only did they replace the sills, but also took care of some minor rust on the wheel arches and at the bottom of the rear door. 🙂 I hate to be difficult, but at the same time I like to get what I think I'm owed. This was more than we asked for and as the original deal was 50/50, we offered to pay our half of it. We also tried psychology on them, saying that if it's as good as they say, we'll buy our next car from them. But if it turns out to be not ok, I'll be angry. Haven't heard back from them about that, but we'll pick it up on Monday anyway.

Yay! 😀

First class news Knut Are, congratulations. Let us know when you get King Bobs grin back and whether you need to borrow a suitable hammer to deal with the garage if the work is not up to expectations.:hammer:

My daughter has a friend in Norway who (genuinely) goes by the name of Thor, he may also be of some help.

• 4 months later...
On 6/10/2018 at 12:26 AM, Suppedraken said:

But if it turns out to be not ok, I'll be angry. Haven't heard back from them about that, but we'll pick it up on Monday anyway.

Well, it turned out to be a crappy job that made the overall situation worse instead of better... 🤬

So I asked the lawyers at NAF what to do. This has taken some time, but the dealer will come and pick it up, leave a loan car, repair the damage they've done, bring it back and pay for a post-repair inspection. If this third repair is not good enough, they will pay for a repair at a shop of my choosing.

I'll keep you posted.

• 2 months later...

The car is back in its garage and from the outside it looks ok, with apparently new sills. Because they didn't provide any pictures of the work done, as requested, I'll have to take it to the local guys and have them inspect the repair with a snake cam. The champagne is still on ice, in other words.

The mother outlaw, visiting from the US, approves of the car and the favourite wilfe will take the three of them on a short trip from Bergen to Trondheim on https://www.hurtigruten.co.uk/ tomorrow. Fireworks, fjords and whatnot. But the interior (and trunk, as I discovered) light to doesn't work any more, not even by pushing the buttons. Everything else seems to be working as it should and the battery is fully charged. Can the welding people have messed up something that needs reprogramming if they disconnected the battery or is it a very specific fuse? Or is it just a case of RTFM?