• Join Premium And Save!
      Join Premium And Save!
    • Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!
      Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!
    • Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
      Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
    • Share Your Experience
      Share Your Experience
    • Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale
      Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale
    • Club T-Shirts and Merchandise
      Club T-Shirts and Merchandise

First of all, let it be clear that I never named a vehicle in my life. This is all the work of the favourite wife.

Some of you may know that the garage tent collapsed under the snow and put dents/holes in the hood, the roof and the trunk. Thankfully, we're fully covered. The car is now painted and almost ready to come home from the local body shop, except that they're still waiting for the moon roof console or something like that. The first one they got from Jaguar Norway was wrong and now they're waiting for one that's coming all the way from the UAE.

They also found rust in the sills, after the dealer allegedly took care of that under warranty in October. It seems to me that all they did was smear something on the sills without welding or repairing. When we get it back, we're taking it back to the dealer to let them take care of the sills. They're decent people, so hopefully we don't have to take legal action.

I'll keep you posted.

IMG_6555-1.jpg

IMG_6557-1.jpg

IMG_6560-1.jpg

IMG_6562-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

Glad to hear that King Bobs back on the road to recovery.

Hopefully the garage is too and will resist similar pressures in the future.

Cheers and hope you get the Jag grin back asap.

Apparently, there's only one sun roof frame left in the whole wide world and it's in the United Arab Emirates. And the prefered mode of shipping seems to be by camel, because we've been waiting for two months now. In the mean time, we have a Audi Q5. Nice car, but not something we would ever consider buying (unless someone held a gun to or collective head and told us to choose a SUV we would consider buying).

I love this car! 😀

The favourite wife is completely happy, too. But I'm sure she wants a XK8 also. 🤩

The Q5 was nice, but it didn't have any personality at all. The people at Kapp Bil og Karosseri did a good job 👍 and the next step is taking it back to the dealer to find out what they're going to do about the sills. 😐

IMG_6623-1.jpg

IMG_6620-1.jpg

All hail King Bob! Restored to magnificence :yahoo: Be very careful driving him though, I notice they have put the steering wheel back on the wrong side :jawdrop:

All you need now is a leaper and a mesh grille!

First class news and looks like an excellent piece of work by the boys at 'tongue twister' body shop. Am I right in thinking that you have forgone the sun-roof though?

Mind you its an odd part of the world for a sun-roof anyway.

All the best for your dealer butt kicking to come.:whip:

35 minutes ago, cubist said:

Am I right in thinking that you have forgone the sun-roof though?

I didn't like to mention that after noticing the juxtapostioning of the steering wheel...... Perhaps I am just being more subtle and caring about our bacon supplies post Brexit?

After all, how would we maintain our Red sauce/brown sauce arguments?

I wouldn't push the sun roof question too far if I were you.

9 hours ago, R2e said:

All you need now is a leaper and a mesh grille!

I'm in two minds about both. On the one hand, a leaper would be nice, but then on the other hand, making holes feels just wrong. The mesh grille looks very nice, but it's not original and a bit R-lookin. The mesh grille is likely to happen at some point in time, though.

Since they put the steering wheel on the wrong side, I'll try to counter that by driving on the wrong side of the road. 🙂

4 hours ago, cubist said:

Am I right in thinking that you have forgone the sun-roof though?

Sorry, it didn't show in the pictures, but the sun roof is still there. I've never been a big fan of them, but it's nice to have sometimes. And contrary to popular belief, Norway can be very warm in the summer; 25C and up is common. 😎

5 hours ago, Suppedraken said:

I'm in two minds about both. On the one hand, a leaper would be nice, but then on the other hand, making holes feels just wrong. The mesh grille looks very nice, but it's not original and a bit R-lookin. The mesh grille is likely to happen at some point in time, though.

Fortunately mine came with the leaper so I didn't have to even think about drilling holes and I'm still not sure if I would have done or not. However I am a big fan now, I love the way it looks, particularly from the driving seat. Somewhat akin to my old E Class with the three pointed star in similar position. I fought off having the mesh grille for nearly a year, like you I considered it not original but finally made an impulse buy of the kit from ebay, still unsure if it was the right thing though knowing if I didn't like it I could pick up a cheap waterfall grille for not a lot of money and put it back the way it was. However I'm now delighted that I did the modification, I prefer the way it looks and the brightness of the stainless matches better with the chrome surround and chrome add ons to the headlights than the old grey struts ever did.

Since they put the steering wheel on the wrong side, I'll try to counter that by driving on the wrong side of the road. 🙂

Ingenious! That's the kind of thinking that made the Vikings so successful ☺️

Norway can be very warm in the summer; 25C and up is common. 😎

Yes but that's only inside the sauna which doesn't count. ⛷️

Sorry boys I am of the opinion Jaguars should be kept in as original a condition as possible, as with all things of quality. Mine is as it was when it emerged from the Castle Bromwich works in 2002, no leaper (never fitted to S Types produced for the UK) and the original waterfall grille. "Why gild the lily". I do however appreciate other owners do like to add their own personal preferences and I have no problem with this provided non spec mods are not too outlandish, I have seen some shockers. As with antiques, things that are in original condition tend to look better and are certainly worth more than "tarted up" ones, not that I am suggesting that a leaper and a mesh grille is "tarting up". I trust that I have not offended anyone with my comments and look forward to any opinions other members may have on the subject. All the best to all members, enjoy your Jags. Geoff.

9 hours ago, isis said:

... As with antiques, things that are in original condition tend to look better and are certainly worth more than "tarted up" ones...

No offence taken Geoff, each to his (or her) own, as they say, and I did tend to think the same way  for my first year of Jag ownership (the leaper was on the car when I bought it, as were the numerous chrome touches). However I think the analogy with antiques is a step too far, the S Type is hardly yet even an 'appreciating classic' far less an antique. You wouldn't (I assume) refuse to paint or update your house in order that you could keep it 'original'. Granted you probably wouldn't put white uPVC windows in an original Victorian home but you'd probably want some form of central heating, modern plumbing and a decent kitchen, despite the diversion from the 'original'.  

Regarding the leaper, I believe it was an option, fitted for some markets, and Mercedes for example didn't stop offering the 3 pointed star ornament as an option until 2009, in fact I think Rolls Royce still offer the Spirit of Ecstasy so I don't have a problem with it, particularly as I think it enhances the retro look of the S Type (though I wouldn't want to see one put on an XF or later model. To be honest, if I could have obtained a waterfall grille with chrome slats, as per the original S Type, for a reasonable price I would probably have gone for that but they just don't seem to be available other than the Adamesh one for post 2004 models. I simply came to the conclusion that I didn't like the grey plastic bars, and the facelift mesh grille looked much nicer, so that's what I went for after months of agonising! The only other 'modification' I have made to my car so far is to fit LED bulbs (though that is reversible) for the benefits of improved performance with much less current draw, particularly the headlamps which have improved my night vision immensely. The next 'modification' on the cards is to fit USB connectors inside the (unused) ashtray. After that I suppose I will need to look at DAB radio options (not easy as unfortunately I have the Satnav version) as we come ever nearer to FM being switched off....

Hi Geoff,

Generally, I am of the same opinion as yourself, although I did fit a leaper after three years of thought, plus the fact that the Mk2 and S type of 1965 which I wanted when I first saw them in the sixties did include a leaper.  A lack of money in 1965 prevented me from buying one, as a house came first, and 29 years of company cars kept me quite cheaply on the road.

My S Type is a 2007 model. coming off the production line on the 13th March 2007 and being delivered to the dealer on the 28th of the same month, and other than the leaper all it has had done to it is an updated SatNav disc, and a detachable [magnetic] GB plate which stays in the boot when not abroad, plus two more powerful [205 more] headlight bulbs as there is an absence of front fog lights.  There s also an AA badge - I am a member - on the bonnet.

But as Ron says, each to their own, but sometimes, going a bit too far detracts rather than improves, in my opinion.

Regards,

Peter.

IMG_0178.JPG