• Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale
      Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale
    • Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
      Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
    • Club T-Shirts and Merchandise
      Club T-Shirts and Merchandise
    • Share Your Experience
      Share Your Experience
    • Join Premium And Save!
      Join Premium And Save!
    • Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!
      Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!



Recommended Posts

 

Hi Lewis,

If you check out the web there seems to be any number of views on this with figures ranging from less than 10K per year to 15K per year. My personal rule of thumb is to check the cars actual average annual mileage to determine how heavily it may have been used where:-

  • 5-7K suggest barely used and mostly local short journeys
  • 10K or less suggests  use with perhaps few long journeys
  • 15K suggests daily use for commute and some longer journeys
  • 20K and above suggests extensive business use (best to run away from these)

I've seen some very young cars offered for sale with more than 50K miles per year on them - run away from these at a rate of knots

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was looking for more of what  the engine would do over a lifetime.  100.000   200.000  300.000  ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

My 2004 S-type R has just covered 40k

I've had the car 3 years, its never missed a beat and never had any issues

I do all my own maintenance and work on the car and has been a very reliable car

cheers

Joe

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Again Lewis,

Sorry, thought you were trying to make a good/bad buy assessment.

I unloaded my first S Type, bought new in 2001, after 8 years and 120,000 miles. Overall it was still in very good condition in every respect but I did manage to blow the gearbox - the old Five Speed Auto - at 78,000 and had to have it replaced. I've heard tales of some S Types with over 200,000 miles but these are rather infrequent. Frankly, unless you really thrash them its really hard to damage the engine and typically its either the drive train or terminal rust that kills them.

I bought my current S Type as a weekend/occasional use car last year - 03 spec on a 02 plate with just 50K miles - and based on its condition, and the amount of use I'll make of it, I'm expecting it to be around for many years to come, albeit I'll probably have to get a bit oily from time to time. But thats all part of the fun of owning one these motors.

Cheers,

Steve

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine has no rust and it's in great shape, Thank you I love the car.       Want to keep it for many years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2018 at 5:21 PM, cubist said:

Hi Lewis,

If you check out the web there seems to be any number of views on this with figures ranging from less than 10K per year to 15K per year. My personal rule of thumb is to check the cars actual average annual mileage to determine how heavily it may have been used where:-

  • 5-7K suggest barely used and mostly local short journeys
  • 10K or less suggests  use with perhaps few long journeys
  • 15K suggests daily use for commute and some longer journeys
  • 20K and above suggests extensive business use (best to run away from these)

I've seen some very young cars offered for sale with more than 50K miles per year on them - run away from these at a rate of knots

 

Hi Steve,

I disagree to some extent with your assessment. High mileage cars which have spent most of their life travelling up and down the motorway network are actually very lightly stressed, both engine and transmission wise, (my S Type for example at 70 mph is doing slightly less than 2000 rpm) and suspension, steering, etc, which actually get a lot less use than on lesser roads and in stop/start traffic. Similarly low mileage cars can indicate, as you suggest, short journey use only which is a lot harder on a car and can cause all sorts of nasty build up in the engine if it rarely gets to operating temperature leading to excessive component wear. Small engines generally have to work a lot harder than big engines which is another factor.

There are no hard and fast rules, and mileage is only part of the overall picture. I remember looking at a low mileage car which on closer inspection had marks and scratches on the backs of the front seats and on the top of the passenger dash. The salesman raised his eyes and explained the previous owner, a woman, had three young kids who put their feet in places not designed for feet! Needless to say I walked away, a low mileage car that had had a hard life on school runs was not for me.

My annual mileage of around 5K, because I work from home, is probably around 80% motorway use. The car is little used it is true, but I actually do very few  local short journeys. By contrast my wife's car, which does a similar annual mileage, rarely gets onto a motorway and most of her journeys are short, local trips so her car actually gets more regular use than mine.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ron,

In principle I agree with your opinion but to be fair to myself I was merely offering the Rule of Thumb I personally use when shopping for a used car. True, its the same thumb I have frequently, but inadvertently, introduced to the business end of a hammer so perhaps a little distorted.

12 hours ago, R2e said:

my S Type for example at 70 mph is doing slightly less than 2000 rpm

My experiences fully concur but I'm concerned that I'm talking to a different Ron. The one I know from this site, based on some of his previous posts, is better know to me as Ron Leadfoot. So I wonder just how often, or rather for how long, 2000 revs is maintained?

Also, as your motor is equipped with the 4.2 Litre, genuine Jaguar engine, it would take a seriously large hammer to do it any serious harm. Those of us with the lesser Ford mills need to be careful even with a rubber hammer.

12 hours ago, R2e said:

Similarly low mileage cars can indicate, as you suggest, short journey use only which is a lot harder on a car and can cause all sorts of nasty build up in the engine if it rarely gets to operating temperature leading to excessive component wear

Best hope the afterlife ushers don't see this one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, cubist said:

 

My experiences fully concur but I'm concerned that I'm talking to a different Ron. The one I know from this site, based on some of his previous posts, is better know to me as Ron Leadfoot. So I wonder just how often, or rather for how long, 2000 revs is maintained?]

Steve are you suggesting I would break the legal speed limit? Perish the very thought! I maintain a legal 69mph throughout my trips so as not to upset Mr Plod. I confess I did digress once and was sent on a 'speed awareness course' run by two 'Driving instructors'. When I pointed out that the previous weekend I had travelled from Frankfurt to Munich in some Opel or other on autobahns at speeds exceeding 220kph (136mph) in perfect safety, their only comment was "Sheer madness". I also had the temerity to question braking distances (based on a recent Top Gear episode) but was told the braking distances were based on a 1950s Morris Minor which was a lot lighter so nothing had changed... I learned my lesson. Speed limits are arbitrary but they are the law, end of story! And driving instructors are stupid with no capacity for logical or considered opinions. I kind of blew their minds when they showed a graphic of a car travelling at 35mph mowing down a child, whereas at 30mph it could stop easily, and I suggested a man with a red flag walking in front of every car which would stop pedestrians being hit 100%... I don't think I took it too seriously.

52 minutes ago, cubist said:

 

Also, as your motor is equipped with the 4.2 Litre, genuine Jaguar engine, it would take a seriously large hammer to do it any serious harm. Those of us with the lesser Ford mills need to be careful even with a rubber hamme

Now here I agree with you, the 4.2 is a totally awesome motor, I just wish I'd had the courage to go with the STR, but nonetheless I am delighted with what I have. I am also a complete snob regarding the lesser and in my view pointless 3.0L V6 and, god forbid, the oil burning 2.7. There! I've admitted my prejudices and will no doubt receive hate mail and death threats from owners of such...er....reduced Jaguars. Apart from a brief foray with a Merc C270CDI, which I will admit was excellent, the last oil burner I had was a 70's company car, an Opel Rekord 1.9. It performed slightly worse than the Mini 850 of the time but did get good fuel consumption for a 1.9 (but not compared with the Mini). As if I cared....

 

1 hour ago, cubist said:

Best hope the afterlife ushers don't see this one.

A vain hope I suspect, Carole will be all over this like a rash when she wakes from her slumbers and comes forth from her, Jaguar inspired, but coffin shaped sleeping area complete with four headlamps to light up the path across the Styx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/2/2018 at 10:09 PM, R2e said:

Now here I agree with you, the 4.2 is a totally awesome motor, I just wish I'd had the courage to go with the STR, but nonetheless I am delighted with what I have. I am also a complete snob regarding the lesser and in my view pointless 3.0L V6 and, god forbid, the oil burning 2.7. There! I've admitted my prejudices and will no doubt receive hate mail and death threats from owners of such...er....reduced Jaguars.

We know where you live.

Ours has 190.000km (or close to 120.000 of your units of measurement) and still in very good condition (one previous owner and all services at Jaguar Norway) except for the sills that we hope the dealer will accept responsibility for. Up here, I haven't seen any V8 S-Types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Suppedraken said:

Ours has 190.000km (or close to 120.000 of your units of measurement) and still in very good condition (one previous owner and all services at Jaguar Norway) except for the sills that we hope the dealer will accept responsibility for. Up here, I haven't seen any V8 S-Types.

It's a British thing Knut Are, or rather an English thing, we Scots don't really have such class distinctions. 

This sums it up - 

So comfort yourself that you will still be able to feel superior to oil burners!

Interesting that you should mention that yours is in very good condition. I think this is the nature of the beast, owners appear to look after Jaguars much more than they would with a Ford or similar. I can honestly say every single one I looked at (mainly pics on Autocar adverts but three in person) before buying were in very good condition which was a pleasant surprise. When I looked at the paperwork that came with my car it was obvious, despite four previous owners, that it had been cossetted throughout and properly maintained by every previous owner, a trait I have continued, my latest, post mesh grille, being fitting all the interior lights with LEDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 54 plate sport has just turned 100.000 and still ticks like a Swiss watch goes like stink too !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I only have the 3 litre V6 rather than the V8 model, but I look at the rpm when driving and it is so low that the wear and tear must be minimal. I rarely get over 2000 rpm - maybe it's the way I drive??  Mostly, to keep a good solid well working engine, change the oil and filter regularly - don't wait for 12,000 miles, do it at half that interval and you will protect your engine and give it long life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now