Air Con

Grattik

Hi all

I have a 2016 XF S and bought it in late September last year from the main dealer as an approved used car.

Being late September I had no cause to use the air conditioning until two days ago when the temperature was sky high. Turned it on expecting a nice cold stream of air after a minute or so but instead got rather warm air, even with the unit set to LOW.

Jaguar are taking the car in next Friday, in the meantime does anyone have any ideas? Could it be as simple as recharging or is it likely to be something more indepth. I have never used aircon in the winter and started again in spring/summer and had no issues before.

Also is this likely to be sorted under warranty?

Thanks for the help

Hi Dino,  

You fall into this large percentage of people that think air conditioning is only for summer, it should be getting used all year round nice and hot at xmas. Also the car will loose a small percentage of gas a year.

Dave.

Hi Dino,

Jaguar recommend that the air conditioning/climate control should be set on auto  --  switched on - all of the time which keeps the system nicely lubricated.

I have always done this and my 11 years old s type has always performed well in summer and winter.

Regards,

Peter.

Have the same problem ....

Recharged by Halfords .. lasted about a month then back to usual warm air.

Tried another garage with the same outcome ....  does not cool car after ~ one month.

Both said no leaks as the recharge went as expected .... in my car it looks like I have some very small pinholes somewhere that allows the gas tol escape.

Thinking on biting the built and taking it to a Jaguar garage .... just worried about the final bill.

Or may try the stopleaks option that miken used.

Over a month now and aircon working well after addition of stop leaks, just get halfords or whoever to add can of stopleaks (£19) halfway through recharge. Much cheaper than other options so worth a shot as I said worked well 4 me

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My air con started playing up a couple of months ago at least, finally got around to getting it checked last week and it is now booked in for a new pump.  Something I realised last week is that my stop/start has also stopped working, I didn't really notice at first but it seems to have coincided with the air con issues, the garage has told me that these two are not linked but it seems a strange coincidence.  Car is a 2013 Luxury D that I have had from new, now has about 77,000 on the clock.

Hi Jim,

I have been told this morning that the cost will be £643.61 inc vat, this includes the cost of the pump, 2 hours labour and a re-charge of the gas.  This is being done at a local garage, not a Jag garage.

Michael, given that your aircon and stop start both stopped working at the same time, I do wonder whether your problem may simply be the state of charge of your battery. I would check that first, before spending on a new pump.

Hi Leo, would this be enough to cause these problems, mechanically I must confess I know very little about how cars work.  My car is used just about every day and some days I can do journeys up to 100 miles so I'm assuming the battery gets and maintains a decent charge, it is the original, 5 and a half years old now.

Hi Michael,

As Leo has suggested its worth getting the battery checked out before committing to anything else. Whilst your regular mileage is high enough to maintain a good charge theres no guarantee that the battery is retaining that charge effectively. Also, it could be that the alternator is not providing sufficient current to fully re-charge the battery. If you get the battery checked at the likes of KwikFit, or similar, they'll tell you if the battery is ok and will also check to see if sufficient current is being supplied by the alternator - but be sure to ask them to check the alternators output.

Cheers,

Steve

1 hour ago, mickn said:

Hi Leo, would this be enough to cause these problems, mechanically I must confess I know very little about how cars work.  My car is used just about every day and some days I can do journeys up to 100 miles so I'm assuming the battery gets and maintains a decent charge, it is the original, 5 and a half years old now.

Your battery is getting to the age when it may well need to be replaced.

Daily use doesn’t automatically mean that the battery is kept fully charged: Aircon, stop/start, HiFi, lights, wipers etc consume a lot of power, and urban use in traffic may use more battery power than it generate

I agree that a 100 mile journey should normally recharge the battery if it is in good condition, provided that there are no loose connections, and the alternator is working properly.

16 hours ago, mickn said:

I have been told, and I believe the person who told me, that the electricity usage of most modern cars can mean that a battery that is around 5 years old needs replacing.  My s type came off the production line in March 2007 and the battery was replaced in February 2013, and again inJanuary 2018, which seems to prove the point.

While I do not do many long runs I do charge my battery every two weeks.  There is so much electricity being used while the ignition is switched off, surprisingly. that this is worth doing.

Regards,

Peter.

1 hour ago, Old Peter said:

There is so much electricity being used while the ignition is switched off, surprisingly. that this is worth doing.

I'll say. I have one of those bluetooth battery state monitors fitted to my S-Type that signals to an app on my phone and every morning the battery is down to approximately 90%

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2018 at 12:21 PM, mickn said:

My air con started playing up a couple of months ago at least, finally got around to getting it checked last week and it is now booked in for a new pump.  Something I realised last week is that my stop/start has also stopped working, I didn't really notice at first but it seems to have coincided with the air con issues, the garage has told me that these two are not linked but it seems a strange coincidence.  Car is a 2013 Luxury D that I have had from new, now has about 77,000 on the clock.

May be a coincidence but my air con stopped working and my stop/start failed at same time, air con re-gas sorted both. My theory is the air con compressor was running constantly trying to cool the car down and made battery too low to allow stop/start to work (it senses battery voltage and if low it stops working)

Well I mentioned the battery to the garage, they said it was fine and that power was getting to the compressor.  They changed the compressor and I have to say all has been fine since.

• Like 1