ABS/DSC faults - affects the transmission

piria33

Recently I had the ABS/DSC fault appear. I checked my battery and it was a little low. I charged it, cleared the faults and went on my way.

10 days or so later it appeared again. Battery seemed ok but I reset it again. Then came on freqently. C1175 code every time.

I had noticed over the last couple or months the transmission was acting funny. A bit indecisive, some surges etc. I thought the worst as I had an oil/filter change before this. Booked in for a reset and software upgrade with Jag end of May anyway.

I had also noted the DSC came on very easily while going around corners.

Cruise felt funny like it was up and down.

This week I changed the left rear abs sensor and cleaned up the ring.

The car is transformed so far. No faults, transmission feels much better, no surges, better shifting. No DSC while going swiftly around corners.

I'll check all reluctor rings and clean them up as it seems these are so dependant on the outputs of each wheel also.

The ring was quite blocked up and rusty.

So for 15 pounds and 45 mins work...check the condition of your rings and sensors.

Thanks

• Like 1

Well done! Very interesting! Our S-Type has not been getting much use and has a had a DSC fault come up. Cleaning the rings and checking the sensors seems a good place to start. I've just looked and there seems plenty of online advise as to how to do this. So I'll give it a go :wink:

Thanks!

Yes worth the effort to make sure all teeth are spotless on the rear wheels especially.

Didn't realise how dependant the gearbox is on these. The speed of each is fed into the ECU which in turn is read by the TCM and decides when and how to change the gears.

If one sensor is sending odd numbers then the box can surge, kick and shift at odd times.

Exactly what was happening to mine. Obviously when I saw mine surging, rpm going up and down, I thought the worst! Had many sleepless nights. It was kicking from 1-2 also (lurch) and changing at odd times.

Just done a 200 mile round trip to Wales (M6/M54/A5 and lots of windy Welsh roads). Worked perfectly. Not 1 kick or surge.

(well apart from a leaking expansion tank! new tank/hose/top hose kit going on this weekend)

No worries! The gearbox is not an issue for me as I have a manual, but I'm showing a DSC fault after her standing more than she has since we've had her, so corrosion is a likely candidate. Just need to free up some time to give the old girl some attention :yes: 

• 4 weeks later...

Just got car back.

They didn't replace any rings! The offside sensor was damaged.

They used their diagnostics machine to match the output of each sensor and some shims to get them at the right height.

Every sensor now matches exactly. Impossible to do at home properly. without the equipment

Cheers Christopher, that's really worth knowing. Glad to hear your cat is now in top condition.

All the best.

By the way, I frequently go up to Staffordshire to visit family so if you spot a black S Type on an 02 plate thats probably me and Black Bess.

I think the box is adapting again to the new variables. 1st day out was a bit strange.

After 2 days much better! I wish it would act instantly.

Anything that upsets the box takes time to settle down. Its like upsetting their feelings and being in the doghouse for a few days!! Like I have 2 wives!!

Well after a few days the box just didn't feel right. The garage said they checked all abs sides! BS! They said all outputs matched

I checked the nearside and it was scraping also!!! I put a very thin shim in and instant improvement. I can push hard through all gears in D or manual and it feels tight. Damn these boxes are senstive to all the inputs.

Can't anyone do a proper job anymore?? oh yes they also bent the edge on my sill skirt/rail!! Had to reshape it and paint it again.

I have my MOT with them next week so don't want to !Removed! them off until that is done as they've always been good on the MOT work.

They were probably doing a pin test on the sensors by trying to spin the wheels - which aint so easy on the rear with resistance from the brakes, drive shaft, et al. My guess is they would have got precious little rapid movement and therefore low readings for very short periods of time.

Going back over the complete thread I am surprised that you had further problems so soon after all the other work had been done. Is there any evidence that corrosion of the drive/UJ cover is getting worse and moving the reluctor rings?

Maybe there is some movement with the CV joint and half shaft while under load. It's been dry since so I don't expect any rust increase under the ring.

If the abs clearance is tight while jacked up it might vary slightly while under load and acceleration so needs some headroom. They are moving parts.

57 minutes ago, cubist said:

They were probably doing a pin test on the sensors by trying to spin the wheels - which aint so easy on the rear with resistance from the brakes, drive shaft, et al. My guess is they would have got precious little rapid movement and therefore low readings for very short periods of time.

Going back over the complete thread I am surprised that you had further problems so soon after all the other work had been done. Is there any evidence that corrosion of the drive/UJ cover is getting worse and moving the reluctor rings?

If they do it properly they need to be testing it out on the road under different conditions.

Can the iCarsoft 930 do this?

6 minutes ago, piria33 said:

Can the iCarsoft 930 do this?

It has a real time function but I do not know if it reports on the ABS sensors. I'm still battling with the supplier of mine as it will not read the ECU - but I'm making some headway.

14 minutes ago, piria33 said:

Maybe there is some movement with the CV joint and half shaft while under load. It's been dry since so I don't expect any rust increase under the ring.

If the abs clearance is tight while jacked up it might vary slightly while under load and acceleration so needs some headroom. They are moving parts.

There should be no movement other than rotation of the axle at the hub side of the UJ. Any lateral movement around the centre of rotation would suggest excessive wear in the UJ, the wheel bearing or even the hub retaining bolts.