Now my Jag stops properly!! Had a seized slider unknown to me

piria33

I always thought my brakes on my newishly acquired 3.0l 2004 were a bit poor. Thought it was just a heavy car or had poor pads on.

MOT time this month so I'd thought it was a good idea to replace the rear discs at least. 7pm Friday night I'll pop out have have the rear offside done in a couple of hours max.

oh boy was I wrong!!

Firstly I almost broke my back trying to remove the main 15mm caliper bolts!! OMG how much blue loctite did the previous garage put on (medium strength but had copious amounts on)??? Every 1/4 turn was a workout using a fairly long breaker bar, one I could just fit in.
Literally had to lie down after I finished each one.

Then after clenaing up the caliper I saw that one of the sliders looked a bit rusty. It was completely seized, caked in thick rust. Took me about 30 minutes of hammering just to break the rust seal.
no wonder the pads weren't clamping properly. The piston was just pushing against a seized slider!!

I managed to release it and clean it up nicely, new grease and slides perfectly now.

Under floodlight I finished about 10.15pm.

Saturday morning I tackled the nearside (with bad knees , cuts and bruises).
Again a good hour at least getting off the 2 15mm bolts. They certainly didn't want anyone to remove these!!

Well after a good bleed on both sides, new disks and pads braking was a brease coming to work this morning.

Fronts do need chaning but enough pads and disc material to get through the MOT this month.
Think I need a month to recover before hitting the fronts!!!

Looked like about 2 years of rust on the slider. How that accumulated since the last MOT puzzles me!!!

Hi Chris,

Well done and I hope you're fully recovered now - thats the S Type for you though - money, sweat, blood and perhaps a few tears too, but nothing gets rid of the big grin.

On 6/4/2018 at 8:45 AM, piria33 said:

Looked like about 2 years of rust on the slider. How that accumulated since the last MOT puzzles me!!!

Had the car been standing unused outside for some time?

Not as far as I know. Both brakes are working well now but still the nearside gets a bit hotter than the offside. Maybe I need to strip it again and make sure all the moving parts are super clean and free of rust. The contact surfaces for the brake pads on the caliper surfaces for example.

Once you have wound out the piston and replaced everything they are self adjusting aren't they? I mean if I have wound out 1 piston more than the other both will push back in until they have full contact?

I did recalibrate the electronic hand brake just in case.

My memory is a bit uncertain but I seem to recall that Jaguar recommend replacing the slider bolts rather than re-using them. I did not follow that advice though as after cleaning and greasing mine worked well and did not appear to be stressed or damaged in any way.

Yes the pistons are self adjusting. First application of the brake pedal will advance the pistons and apply pressure to the pads and disk. On release of brake pressure they would typically back off by a small amount only to allow pressure release on the pads and disc.

Some ideas to consider, but not in this order (I'd try the last one first): -

1. There may be some interference between the piston and the piston barrel caused by dirt contamination or perhaps even corrosion. I would also check the piston seal to make sure its in good condition and press/wind the piston back and check for improvements after re-assembly.
  2. If you can, check the disk itself to make sure it running/rotating true and within tolerance, you'll need a clock gauge for this though. Corrosion between the disk and the hub mounting plate or distortion of the disk itself could produce the symptoms you're seeing.
  3. The EPB cable is exposed and can be affected by corrosion. Its a good idea to make sure the cable, and the lever mechanism it connects to at the hub, are moving freely. If they are not then you may be able to get them moving properly with a little DW40 and some suitable grease.

Hope this helps, keep us posted.

Steve

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership