• Join Premium And Save!
      Join Premium And Save!
    • Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale
      Over 3000 Jaguar vehicles for sale
    • Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!
      Save up to 15% off your Jaguar insurance!
    • Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
      Large Selection Of Jaguar Parts
    • Club T-Shirts and Merchandise
      Club T-Shirts and Merchandise
    • Share Your Experience
      Share Your Experience

Jagnumpty

Coil pack or ... ?

The other day the EML light came on and the engine went into ultra limp mode. I wasn't far from my self styled Jag 'expert', so I popped in and he plugged in his OBD system. He reported that the trouble was the coil pack on cylinder 5 and reset the error code. That was enough to almost  get me the 2/3 mile home when it happened again.

Since my previous bluetooth OBD was acting up I bought a replacement and connected it to the 'Torque' app on my phone. This reported that Bank 1 was running lean and that there were other 'potential problems'.

Does that sound like a coil pack to anyone? I'm too used to real coils serving multiple cylinders rather than a mini one for each, so it's all Greek to me.

chances are slim... i had torque reporting 2 coil pack issues. looked into it a little deeper and decided just to throw a set of plugs at her. fixed the issue.  i moved the suspect coilpacks to the front facing bank so that i only had to take the air filter off (rather than the whole manifold) if it was a coil pack at fault.

Thanks. I'll give that a go. I'll pick up a set of Iridium plugs. Might even use my Halfords discount.

New plugs arrived, but I'm considering getting a coil pack to see what happens when I swap one or more in/out.

However, after resetting the error codes several times, I have ascertained that things only go square shaped if the revs hit just under 3K. That's when the misfire hits and the EML goes on. If I keep the revs under that self imposed limit the car runs relatively sweetly.

The only problem otherwise is that the car doesn't feel  like a Jag. Nothing i can put my finger on, but ... y'know ... 🤥