Jaguar Tamworth Owners Club Event

Mandi Rawlings

My first car was a Triumph Herald that was just a few months under 3 years old when I bought it.   Two years later it died of rust and was taken apart before taking it to the council tip.

I worked in the Steel Industry for 45 years and it took a long time for us to convince car makers that a galvanised chassis will last much longer.

Peter.

Ah yes, Peter, isn't it just the way? I was an industrial chemist and had a lot to do with corrosion processes in the construction industry over many years. I can just picture that Triumph Herald disintegrating in front of your eyes... I had a Citroen GSA that was 4 years old that did exactly the same for me in the early 1980s. I suppose that is why some of these older cars are so rare now - unless they were put in a museum, they'd fall apart. Jaguars were, if anything, built of tougher stuff- but unfortunately they did source their bodies from the notorious Presses Steal Fisher plant in Oxford, which churned out rust prone car bodies for all and sundry. At least, that was the case in the 'bad old days'.

We of course are trying to maintain and preserve our beloved Big Cats - and even with more modern ones like the S type, we are now talking nigh on 20 year old machines in some cases. I think motor manufacturers will give a 10 year warranty, but that tells us something... I wonder how the aluminium bodied Jaguars are faring now? From what I've heard old Landrovers which also have aluminium bodies have done pretty well. My only regret would be, some of the older Jaguars have iconic designs that I'd wish to see preserved and kept going, which includes the S Type of course. Cheers!

hope to make it there, but not 100% sure,  it may be me and the other half if she feels up to it. as for the time when we get there? again not sure but im really hoping to make it. the jag is having an air con service Friday so hope that goes ok with no problems.  regards dave. 

Today is a good day for giving your car the once over before the JOC Event in Tamworth at Lancaster Jaguar.

My S Type had a wash yesterday and was well rinsed when it rained.  Today will see a good waxing and a good polishing, and the interior examined for anything untoward.

There will be a good exchange of experiences, and some very good opinions about cars, new and old.

All members will be welcome, even if your car is an older one that still needs a touch to get it to the condition you want.

No booking, no forms to fill in, just turn up, talk about Jaguars and enjoy a sunny Sunday.

Regards,

Peter. 

well I can honestly say it was nice meeting you peter in person. since joining this forum its been of great benefit for useful information on what ever cause.  also it was very nice to meet  people who too made the time and effort in a small handful that turned up at the Lancaster event at tamworth,  I look forward to maybe seeing some of you again at the Jaguar breakfast meets at gaydon motor museum in future... (first Saturday of each month) or maybe other meets, …….. regards dave 😎👍

Hi Dave,

Glad you enjoyed the day.  It is a pity that those more local didn't take advantage of the opportunity to meet other members.

I might come down to Gaydon some Saturdays and persuade SWMBO to come down for the day.

Organising meets does take some time and some effort, and I sometimes wonder why some clubs can get a large attendance and other can't.

But c'est la vie!

Regards,

Peter.

• Thanks 1

peter, have you had any feed back from mandi r,  as to how Lancaster Jaguar dealership thought how the meet went ?  also will we get to see the photo which was taken with line up of the cars ? would be nice to have some feed back from them,.    dave. 

Hi David,

Mandi isn't back from Edinburgh till Wednesday - a family wedding.

I was hoping that we could have an annual event at Lancaster Jaguar who are currently developing a huge Jaguar LandRover site in Wolverhampton.

Personally, I thought that the local members of the JOC let the club down  ---   they missed a good day, but those that came a good distance were just what the club wants and needs.  The club is not just for answering queries but also for having days out.

I will let you know any feedback I get.

Regards,

Peter. 

• Thanks 1

Good morning all

Thank you to those that attended on Sunday - those that did seemed to have a great day from the feedback & social media posts received.  Thank you Peter for your visits to Lancaster Jaguar Tamworth to arrange the event with me.

Sorry I was unable to be there but I had a family wedding in Edinburgh so have been away for a few days.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Mandi

IMG_5066.jpg

IMG_5067.jpg

IMG_5068.jpg

IMG_5069.jpg

IMG_5070.jpg

IMG_5071.JPG

IMG_5072.JPG

IMG_5073.JPG

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5075.JPG

IMG_5076.JPG

IMG_5077.JPG

IMG_5078.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks, Mandi.

As you can get I was quite dischuffed at the poor attendance, but very please with those that did for their contributions to the discussion and chat.

I was the only local member there, and others came a long way.  I wonder if West Midlanders would go 15 miles to a meet?

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Darren, 

As you can guess I was very disappointed.  It is not the first time that a meet has been organised in the West Midlands and those that said they were definitely coming have not done so.   Pity!

But if there is enough interest a meet could be organised before Christmas.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

I would love to come down to one of these in Tamworth - I was going to be at one last year but the S type was rear ended in a car park, damaging the bumper, and I have only just found a replacement one that fits. If there is a meet before Christmas let me know.