Help required please

Lee 1977

Hi guys, I've recently purchased a late 2003 s type Jaguar 3.0. Seems to of been well maintained as looks pretty immaculate and many parts have been replaced, it's certainly been well maintained with a relatively low 132 k miles covered. My issues are as follows. The chap I bought it off has lost all the service history or that's what he told me anyway, he was a lovely guy and honest too so no reason to disbelieve him. Does anybody know how I'd go about attempting to trace this please as logbook no longer gives precious keepers and for the love of god I cannot remember who I purchased it off as travelled 100 miles to get it. Secondly when it's cold first thing in morning I get a rear noise which sounds like an intermittent rubbing and as it makes that noise it feels as though it's braking at the same time, I also get a brake squeak to but as stated only for the first 5-6 miles, then it goes. There is no warning lights on dashboard other than when I press the fob to open the doors, a red brake symbol comes on dash yet goes away as soon as it's started.  Do these models have a seperate braking system for the electric parking brake?

kind regards 

lee 

Hi Lee and Welcome to the Club,

Sorry but the best advise I can offer concerning the service history would be to chat up one of your local Jag dealers and ask if they can make an enquiry on their computer system. It may be bit of a long shot and in any event would not produce records of any services conducted by anyone other than a Jag dealer.

As to the noise and braking/resistance in the first few miles. First, check the condition of the pads and discs for excessive wear and also that any wear is even on both sides of each disc. If good, check the Electronic Parking Brake operates smoothly and releases effectively you should also check the callipers to make sure the slider pins are operating smoothly. Your problem should be one of these. A word of warning, the reason the resistance/braking effect goes away after a few miles is that as the discs and pads get hotter the braking power is reduced.

Hope the helps but keep us posted.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi steve, it's had brand new discs and pads and doesn't seem to have any wear on them at all, is there seperate pads like drums that operate as the parking brake or are these the pads u can see through the alloys? Is there anyway to trace the previous keepers as this could be a productive way to gain the service history?

kind regards 

lee 

Re service history you could try asking the dvla if they can contact previous keepers with your details, I know they won’t give you there details due to data protection, as for the noise from the rear of check the diff for Oil as if it’s dry it can cause a noise and drag on the drivetrain 

Hi Lee,

On the 3.0 there are no separate parking brake pads on the standard build and I do not recall them being offered as an option either. They were however fitted to the 4.0 and 4.2 V8s with Brembow brakes and I suppose someone may have uprated the car but that seems unlikely to me - if they did you should be able to see a second calliper on each disc.

Given that the pads and discs appear new I would check the Parking Brake Cable to make sure that it moves freely in the outer sleeve - the cable is prone to seizing. If thats good then check the slider pins, these too can seize. If these too are good then Michaels suggestion would be worth checking if you can.

While writing one other thought occurred to me. When the discs were replaced, I'm assuming they have been recently, the mechanic 'should' have made sure that any corrosion or dirt had been thoroughly removed from the hub where it comes into contact with the disc before fitting the new one. He should also have checked that the new disc runs true after fitting. Excessive/un-removed corrosion or dirt, or a fault during manufacture of the new disc, can cause it to rotate out of true and feasibly could produce the effect you're seeing. I must admit though that this is a bit of a long shot.

Sorry cannot help with the service history and again Michaels idea may produce an answer for you but I would be surprised if the DVLA did not want a fee.

Cheers,

Steve

I'm at a loss with this rear dragging and rubbing noise when cold it's driving me crazy. I can hear a brake squeak too when cold which doesn't go away even if u tap the brake. All these issues go away once warm. I was told that if the Parking brake was electric then it was most definitely on a seperate braking system and hoped that'd be the cause.. I'm aware the diff can be an issue with these cars, would this be a symptom of a failing one? 

Could I Contact Jaguar to see whether it has any main dealer service on file or again would this be confidential. Can I post the reg on any forums to see if anybody recognises it as once theirs? It's been so incredibly well looked after it must have paperwork somewhere? I'll contact dvla to try get their help but I'm pretty sure it'll be fruitless as data protection. 

Hi Lee,

Just to clarify: -

1. The EPB and the main hydraulic braking system both meet at the calliper and operate to close the brake pistons to apply pressure.
  2. When you set the EPB, or if it sets itself automatically when you switch off the ignition and take your foot off the brake pedal, this sends current to an actuator which pulls on the brake cable to close the pistons.
  3. Previous suggestions from Michael and myself concerning checks on the various brake components and diff Oil level should be made. If you are not comfortable doing this yourself there are many Jaguar independent garages out there that can do these things for you.
  4. If the DVLA will not provide details of previous keepers I'm sorry to say your efforts to get the service history are stuffed. But, if you check the Log Book/Registration Document you should have from the DVLA this will at least tell you how many previous owners have held the car and where it was first registered. It should be a short step from the location where it was first registered to find the Jag dealer that sold it.

Cheers,

Steve