S Type 2.7 Diesel alternator change

Gordon Mac

Hi Gordon,

I don't get underneath cars any more, but looking at where the alternator is on the S Type 2.7D I would guess that it is  difficult job.

Most mechanics have a routine to get to awkward parts and I guess that the alternator is one of them!  Its position appears to be down on the right hand side [passenger side] so it does not surprise me that a part or two needs to come off first,

Good luck,

Pete.

Thanks Pete,  am the same, can’t lie under cars anymore. Seems a bit strange removing part of subframe though. I would have thought going in from top was a better idea. Never done it so, what do I know. 🤔

Hi Gordon,

I had a look at that, but I think the 18" wheels on my s type prevents access from the top. I think if they put the car up on a ramp removing the sub frame right let the mechanic get his hand on the alternator.

Given the fact that the alternator is supposed to last for 150k miles I don't think any f the design team could have been much bothered in making it easy.

Gone are the days when I could replace the distributor on my Triumph Herald in under an hour!

Peter. 

• 5 months later...

Hi all ,  I have had my stype 2007 lately with the red battery light on . I got it checked by computer plug in , and it was the alternator starting to die .  the reading said …….. Generator Field Low.

Purchased one from carparts in Liverpool costing £135 exchange. 

My mechanic actually got it off by wriggling it around the gap that was available , after removing the engine undercover , and the intercooler pipe and a lot of wiggling about but it did come out. one tip is to take a photo as it comes clear , so as to the angle to put the new one in and spin it in to position for bolting up. 

It was quite a Chinese puzzle , left a bit up a bit , right a bit  etc , but it Will go Without damaging anything , and removing any subframes .

from start to finish 3 hours and red light now off .   charge £60 but he is a friend .

I hope this may help if anyone has the same problem .  

Cheers Mally.

Hi Peter , 

A Happy New Year to you and the Wife Sir . .  I have not been on here for some time to be honest just cant seem to find the time .

I put the post up on the alternator ,  as it is a common fault apparently the battery light staying on . and I could'nt find anything on the web really apart from changing the battery ( which isn't all ways the case of solving it ) and the alternator ..

People have changed Both and still had the Battery light on after resetting it.  fingers crossed mine is ok now.

Having said that , I started the car today and drove off about 100 yards to a give way , and I looked at the dash it said GEARBOX FAULT. ????   I pulled up around the corner switched the ignition off waited a few seconds , switched on and hey presto no warning and all back to normal ,

It has done other things like xmas eve ( of all days ) PARKING BRAKE FAULT  , it has had a New EPB about 6 moths ago so I knew there was nothing wrong .

All you do is take off the battery negative connection wait about 30 seconds , put it back on then turn on ignition and apply foot brake and handbrake switch on and off 5 times and hey presto ..

I had the gearbox serviced about 6 months ago at Northwest transmissions in Liverpool who were brilliant and I would totally recommend them .they charge £300 take the car in the morning and they ring when its ready .. 

I have come to realise how Sensitive these cars are for electronics . the sensors a lot of the time are sending signals when nothing is wrong .

BUT !!!  I STILL LOVE MY CAT .

I hope everything is good your side Peter ,  my Kindest regards Mally. 

Hi  Mally, and a happy New Year to you and your wife, too.

The s type does not like the cold, and I found that out last week when I had the Park Brake  fault come up.  I also had Gearbox fault, but it went and I found out from the AA mechanic when he came to see  why I was getting restricted performance that Gearbox fault will dome up if an EGR valve is faulty, or in my case, dead.

That is a good price for gearbox servicing, but a bit too far away from me!  Getting a bit too old now for regular long trips,

Keep in touch with the club, Mally.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Mally,

Since 2002 I have used a mobile mechanic who knows everything about cars.  I checked out the cost of s type EGR valves and they varied from £185 to £235 for each one. I though that I was looking at about £700 minimum for both to be supplied and fitted.

Carl only uses genuine parts where possible and he also charges me the price he pays rather than the listed price.  His supplier gave him £50 off each one which put the cost at  £270 plus £150 labour which is not bad for a days work.

He is picking up my s type on Monday evening so that he can start on Tuesday with a cold engine.  He will bring my car back on Tuesday evening..

Good job well done as usual.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1