Jaguar voice help needed!

Alsatian

Hi everyone, please accept my apologies if I have posted this in the wrong section, but it's my first post.

I bought a 2008 Jaguar X type 2.2 diesel 6 speed manual a few days ago, so still getting to grips with it. Although I love the car. 

I have paired my phone and (hopefully) copied the phone book, I can receive a call and answer via the steering wheel control, but cannot make a call using Jaguar voice? 

If I press the phone/voice switch on the steering wheel, all I get on the radio screen is a 'mute on' message? 

Can anyone help an old 'non technical' man solve the problem please? I did read in the handbook that Jaguar voice wouldn't work without inputting the security code? But I don't have that code anywhere. 

Thanks, Keith 

Thanks for the offer, but not sure that it'd be worth the time/money involved as I wouldn't use it that much. I can receive calls OK, it's just making them that I can't do without parking up and dialling from my phone. 

Thanks very much anyway for the offer. 

Keith 

Paul, I have a Jaguar S-type 2008-model, and would very much like info on how to have the voice module fitted. I have bought a module as well as a D2B-cable, but I don't know how to find the wiring loom in the car, and am unsure whether it has got a plug for the voice module or not. Any info would be much appreciated!

Best,

Håvard

Håvard

The Voice module mounts on the back of the Kaiser panel ( a metal ribbed panel which can be seen once you remove the DVD stack). The connector will be in the loom there. It will have a grey spongy covering. You will find that the plug does not completely fill the socket in the module.

Hi Paul, many thanks for this! I have not checked behind the Kaiser-panel, so I will certainly have a go at that. This will be very exciting. I do have the microphone fitted, and here is the D2B-cable:

image.thumb.png.6b6c8c022b9f2780db359e3ff41ac0de.png

I will keep you updated,

Håvard

Hi again Paul,

A quick quesiton about the D2B-wire: the one I bought has a link to the phone module, the voice module, the DVD/Sat nav and the CD-stack, as well as to the main connector. But would I need one more connection to "close the circuit"? Do I need a sixth connection-point (because I thought the D2B should go in a circuit), or have I misunderstood something here? And if I do need a sixth point, is it possible to splice on another connection from another cable (e.g. the existing one)?

Best,

Håvard

image.thumb.png.1530cd53da1adc5691237e163a99f211.png 

Håvard,

What you have there is a complete D2B loom for a specific level of equipment.

Personally, I would just inset another connector in your present D2B loom where convenient.  Contrary to popular opinion it doesn't matter which order the modules are connected.

Another alternative is to use a splitter which you could make out of the loom you've bought, so ou would unplug one module and use the splitter to reconnect to that module and also your voice module.

You could change the whole loom for the one you've bought but seems unneccessary.

Splicing a connector into your present loom would be easy and I can send you instructions when I get home from work if you want.

You can visualise the D2B loom as a big circle with each module linked serially but always in the same direction.

Paul

Thank you very much, Paul, this is excellent! It is all much clearer to me now, and I can see why you suggest to just splice on the existing loop, it looks fairly easy to do after looking at the PDF. I will try to explore the boot over the weekend, and will let you know how it goes. Again, many thanks for your help. By the way, it looks like we have the same car and the same colour—indigo blue? Looks great:)

Håvard

Hi Paul, I have now unbolted the stack and removed the Kaiser panel, and I did indeed find the phone module and a grey loose connector there, which seems to fit the voice module. However, there were some wires stuck in front of the connector, in a kind of a loop (see photo). Should I remove these wires, and if so, how? Is this the voice connector? Also, should I try to mount the voice module here behind the stack along with the phone module, or on top of the stack? Or can the voice module replace the existing phone module (which would make the connecting process much easier)?

Connector.jpg

Ok, learning by doing: I realized I can just unplug the cartridge with the wires, and that the connector fits the voice module. Brilliant. Then it is just the question of where to place the module, behind the Kaiser panel or on top of the stack? And then I'll have to sort out the D2B-loom properly. This is exciting.

Håvard

This is fantastic, I actually made it! Thank you very much Paul, I have searched around the web for how to install it many times earlier, but have never found clear instructions anywhere. I would never have made it without your excellent instructions, especially on how to find the connector and how to splice the D2B-loom. It was brilliant, thanks!

Best regards,

Håvard

45 minutes ago, Norway member said:

Yes, you were of great help! I do have the training and vocabulary documents, thanks. And this retrofit was fun to do, so what next—any recommendations?

Premium sound?