Terraclean yes or no?

Allandon

Hi all, the problems I have had with the DPF (well documented in other threads) is now largely kept under control by using Shell V power and making sure I take the car for at least one long run per week. You can probably gather from the above that Jaguar themselves did absolutely diddly about it but I am resigned to living with the issues as best I can.

Well, that was until the other day when I noticed I now have an amber engine warning light on as well. Handbook says it could be engine / transmission emissions related. A technician friend of mine hooked it up to computer and said it was showing EGR fault (think that's right).

Reading through some other old threads on here and I noticed that "Old Peter" had mentioned something about a Terraclean he'd had done a while back.

Quick recap, I have a 2013 XF 3.0 Diesel Portfolio (with less than 46500 on the odo). Does anybody have any previous experience / knowledge whether something like a Terraclean might actually help or heaven forbid, even make matters worse?

As always, all comments and replies are gratefully received.

Thanks - Allan

29 minutes ago, GourmetSaint said:

Additives are a waste of money and do nothing. Get the dealer to check for a crack/leak in the intake manifold. An air leak causes over fuelling and a blocked dpf. A smoke test will reveal.

Cheers,

Mark

not necessarily, i used to have an s-type with engine light on periodically. It was the DPF and after using millers it kept the light off. We used the same stuff to maintain octane when we drove our Navara to mongolia. If you fill up with diesel in mongolia the engine sounds like a bag of spanners

Yes there is a lot of snake Oil around but some stuff works.

• Like 2

HI,

I have found that Miller's Diesel Eco-Max, along with using premium diesel has transformed my XF-S 3.0D since I bought it last October. Quieter, more responsive, more economical!

I occasionally do a very long trip to Ireland, but apart from that, short local trips. In the 10K miles I've done, I've only had one "Regen Needed" message; quick blast around (a bit of) the M25 and it went away.

Obviously, I don't know if that would have been different if I didn't go for premium diesel and the Miller's, but for a car that's lucky to do 100 miles a week, apart from a long one every couple of months, together with all the DPF problems I read about, there must be something in it!

I'm no expert on the relative merits of one additive over another, but for the future, I'll stick with Miller's.

Just wish I knew if it's Miller's or Millers 🙂

Cheers,
Jon

• Like 2

Hi Jon,

Millers Oils is what it says on the bottle!

And Allan, the terra clean did improve the fuel system, but keeping it clean I use Shell V power and Millers ECO Plus Diesel.

The EGR valves [there are two on the v6 engine] have the habit of getting sticky and a bit dirty, and Millers ECO plus diesel will clean them up, but eventually you may have to replace them, which I did a few months ago [£420].

Your friend had checked the engine fault and you appear to have a fault code P4020 which is EGR Fault.  The additive could cure it .  I would not bother going back to the main dealer as the problem is not with the DPF, and they will charge about £70 just to tell you that.

Regards,

Peter.

[Some years ago when I joined the club there was another member posting called Peter.  -  He was younger the me!]

• Like 2

Ah, hence; "old" Peter. I meant no disrespect.

Thanks for the replies, especially Jon and Peter. The Terraclean outlet where I made an enquiry haven't got back to me as yet, so, as I have a journey this weekend (round trip from Dagenham to Bath) I think I will give that Millers a try and keep a very close eye on the dash and see what happens. Off to Halfords in the morning for some Millers. I know they're not the cheapest place but I need to get some number plates made up as well so, hopefully my premium members' discount card will save me a couple of quid.

Thanks guys!

Hi Allan,

I use the Wynns Gold Diesel treatment (from Halfrauds), I add it roughly every 4 fills, I use Shell V Power and have never had and DPF or EGR issues in 40'000 miles, my car purrs smoothly and cleanly.

Just my 2 penneth.

Dom

• Like 3

Hi Allan, 

I don't mind being referred to as old, as I am 85 but still going strong.

Terraclean pump in an amount of a fluid that replaces the diesel fuel for about 30 minutes.  I think the various Oil companies got wise and did the same by using an additive with the fuel that was cheaper and did the job ok.

My S type is in for its MOT tomorrow and it has never failed on emissions yet. 

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

Well, now then. Either this is an amazing coincidence or that stuff is !Removed! good! Treated the motor to a shot of Millers this morning whilst I was waiting for my number plates to be fitted.On the way to Halfords, the amber engine warning light was on as it had been for the past few days. Millers ECO Plus Diesel added and as I was pulling out of Halfords.... no warning light. Gone. Surely, it can't have worked that quickly?? But.. never look a gift horse. I'm still rather skeptical but that is probably my suspicious nature. I'll take it as a plus and keep an eye on things but if it has worked then it is all down to the amazing advice on here and a million thanks to "old" Peter, Jon et al.

Hi Allan,

I did say it was good!

I had the same experience.  The Yellow Light came on  and I put a dose of Millers Eco plus Diesel in, and as I was on my driveway I started up the engine, the revs at 1500 and the light went out.

The next time you fill up put another dose in and then every other fill up.

Regards

Peter.

• Like 1

Can I put my 'alf penneth in ? .  Last year I inherited a 2.7 Liter Diesel Jeep ,when cold it sounded like a bag of spanners and apparently that was usual. I read an american article about using two stroke Oil as an additive for diesel ,as I was of to the north of scotland I tried giving it a dose ,about 70ml to a tank full of diesel . The difference was amazing ,all the noise disappears and the engine ran far smoother. I continued dosing it now and then until I sold it ,the new keeper did as well and as far as I know is still running well.

False Dawn?? As posted on 18 June (last Tuesday) I added some Millers diesel eco plus and the engine warning light disappeared instantly. On the Thursday (20th) I topped the tank up with diesel (about half a tank) and added another measured dose of Millers as I was driving to Bath early the following morning. Round trip to Bath (from Dagenham) plus some local driving probably put about 400 miles on the clock. I'd again topped the tank up (again, about half a tank) prior to the return journey but didn't have the Millers with me. Not a sign of the dreaded warning light, though. Hey ho, jumped into the car to drive home from the office yesterday afternoon and it's reared it's unwelcome head once again. Added another dose of Millers to the tank this morning but it wasn't to be. Amber engine warning light still there. I am at my wits end!

Hi Allan,

Your case is similar to mine.  I used Millers eco plus for abut three years and it did a great job.  Eventually my 12 year old engine went into limp mode and two new EGR valves had to be fitted.

I would have a diagnostic test, but I still think t is the EGR valves rather than the DPF.  As a member of the AA I had the AA mechanic come out to check what it was which save me paying a Jaguar man dealer £70 to do the test.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks, Peter. My technician friend will be changing my front brake pad sensor later today and has said he will check the diagnostics again. He's fairly certain it is the EGR valves, though. He also agrees that, although additives may / not help with DPF problems, no amount of additive will solve the valve issues.

The annoying thing is that I selected an "approved" used Jag specifically for some peace of mind and I've had nothing but grief with it. This will definitely be the last jag I will ever own!

Cheers, anyway - Allan

Hi Allan,
Its sad that you've had a bad experience. Back in 2013, I bought an old XJ6. Bad move! Always loved, craved for a Jaguar, but bought a bad one!

This was a week before I got married...

Wife to be said... That goes or I do!

Swapped for a Ford Capri JPS.

Relationship rescued!

36 years later, have a lovely XF-S, car of my dreams