Hi,

New to group, emailing from the States, Newcastle, WA to be exact. Brit been in US for about 25 years. Had many Jags over the years, many XJ-S's, XJ-SC, XJR, XK8 and now finally a 2010 XKR.

Car is in near perfect cosmetic condition, about 45,000 on her, only hitch is she is a none runner. Previous owner was driving her, went to get an Oil change, was told Oil was very low, drove the car away after getting fresh Oil and filter to get new tires and wouldn't start again when they went to pick it up.

They tried numerous shops to try and figure out what is wrong, one shop said engine won't turn over even with a breaker bar on the crank. Consensus was needed new engine $$$$.

So they decided to sell her because they had no idea what it might cost to repair. So now I have a non running XKR that I'm waiting to be delivered.

I've been trying to find out where I might be able to get an engine rebuild kit, forged pistons etc, so I can start researching prices, the US isn't proving to be flush with Jaguar engine parts.

Can anybody recommend some places in the UK that might have these parts, and if anybody has done an XKR engine rebuild themselves?

Thanking you in advance.

Steve

Hi Steve, and welcome to the club.

Finding a parts supplier in the UK must be easier than in the USA, and finding one that would ship out parts could prove difficult.

There is one company that is worth looking at and one I have used before for small parts.

Have a look at the David Manners Group who have a very good supply of new genuine Jaguar parts and who do ship abroad.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Peter.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update No 1 on 2010 XKR, got the car to run, was a blown 400 amp fuse for the starter motor, that is the good news, bad news is the engine sounds terrible (which is what I expected). So I'm going to drop the engine and gear box - I'm lucky enough to have a 4 post ramp so I'll lift the car off the engine and gear supporting the front sub-frame and gearbox. Anybody done this before who can offer up any advise/suggestions. Might have my kids do a "you tube" video of this depending on how much time that would add.

I now need to find a really good machine shop in Pacific North West - any suggestions?

If people are interested, i'll keep adding updates, if I don't then I'll drop it here.

58595112583__239AAB15-281A-46E2-A82B-F2817C994D8C.JPG

Hi Steve,

The XKR is a future classic, and I am sure there will be many members rather keen on knowing what you are doing with yours.

I read all posts and I always look forward to reading what members are doing.

My S type is getting old, but still drives like a dream and there is no way it will leave me!

Good luck,

Regards,

Peter.

P1020466.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Nice house Peter, I love those sand stone buildings, my sister lives in a terrace house in Ramsbottom, also made of sandstone.

Anyway back to the car, attached is a clip of the engine running for the last time before working on her. Tonight I dropped the sump and found pieces of metal, suspect the remnants of a spun bearing. Confirms the full engine out rebuild. Next is to remove the exhaust, bonnet, front bumper and the wheels (bought a second jack so I could jack the front up evenly and safely on the ramp. Plan is to drop the engine and gearbox from underneath.

Seems like its just you and me Peter, I'll keep you posted.

SteveIMG_0299(2).thumb.jpg.c086b2f575a935ca8f3793015672dfbc.jpgIMG_0300(2).thumb.jpg.94a610af7c85faa57d51a77bbc9d754b.jpg0109e86d948ab2c3660b17c20f9d2dd7c19d54986d.thumb.jpg.ffbc25cbb3c60cbe6e00c8e9bccce9e9.jpg

Hi Steve, 

Unfortunately not my house  --  we rented it for a holiday in June in the Trough of Bowland,  We live in the very urban area of Sutton Coldfield, part of Birmingham -- exiles from Lancashire.

I am not an engineer, Steve, but I am very interested in the wonderful things that they can do and following what you are doing is not dissimilar to what I was doing to motor bikes  sixty years ago.

Regards, 

Peter.

DSCF9985.JPG

Hi Steve,

I've just had a quick google and found, https://www.britishparts.co.uk/jaguar-parts-c11/jaguar-x150-xk-xkr-c108/engine-c149

Good for gaskets but not much else. Mains and big ends seem hard to get, I wonder if you'll need a crank grind too if its scored the crank. Either that or if you can find a engine in the states thats had a timing failure of some sort and the bottom end is ok and take the crank out of it.

Dunc

The other way I've been thinking of it is that the Range Rover runs the same engine. I would think the they share the same block/crank/bearings. I've found a company that cover the 5.0 litre engine. 

https://www.turnerengineering.co.uk/land-rover-50-v8-engine-parts-c102x3706479

King bearings are good so they are not some no name brand (I work for a classic car motor factors specializing in vintage engine parts)

Seems like you can get oversize too , 10 and 20 thou so thats good news. You could have the crank ground.

Dunc

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, quick update, decided to go the short block route, haven't had a great deal of luck finding information or part numbers on over sized bearings, so bought a short block P/N AJ812891. Brand new engine, not rebuilt and no core. Being as I live in Seattle I actually took advantage of the exchange rate and bought it from Jaguar in Vancouver.

Still not got the old engine out yet, taking my time and not rushing, trying to enjoy the rebuild.New engine sitting in the garage patiently waiting on the transplant. Intend to add a pre-oiler at the same time so as to maximize the life of the new engine.IMG_0395.thumb.jpg.7df3db63d30ebfd12bc66542fc7e8373.jpgIMG_0396.thumb.jpg.9d0b4cbc49d1f100d0cdd554a5e0fe44.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0399(1).jpg

Hi Steve,

Very interesting.  Never rush anything.  There is a book called  "The Little Life of Don Camillo" -  the story of a Catholic Priest who fought in the resistance in WW2 with a Communist, who later became his parishioner.  The Communist told him "Lente, lente, Carissime.  Sunt difficultates, sunt obstacula"  -  Slowly slowly, my good friend,  there are difficulties, there are obstacles"

When you are putting in the parts you will see how true that is,

Regards,

Peter.