Jaguar recall

PeteL

Just info for everyone. Today I got a letter from JLR informing me that my XF is the subject of a recall. It is:

H149 - emissions related recall, XF and XE engine system upgrade.

I had a brief conversation with the dealer to ask if that could be carried out while they investigate my satnav problem (see previous posts) next week.There are parts required I.E. a belt for something and Oil too as JLT are insisting on a certain type of Oil be put in. If the parts are in he agreed it would be done.

All the best

hi

have a look here, personaly I would not have it done, anything with the emissions will make the car slower and not as nice to drive, if you have it done you will end up having it remapped to make it how it was

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=117670

Hi Joe, good of you to reply, I take my car into Inchcape Norwich tomorrow so will seek advice and report back as promised. However, they’ve got the car until Friday to sort out my satnav problem out (previous post)

Pete

I was in Edinburgh East Jaguar dealer's enquiring about a warranty as I am looking at XF 2:0 litre models.

And enquired about the H149 recall and was told that it is only the engine Oil that is going to be changed and nothing else, it seems there's a problem purchasing the Oil

and they're trying to get the Oil from Castrol and the oil that they use at the moment is Mobil Super F- C1  5/30.

And they have 4 cars waiting for the Recall to be done, but they can't till the oil arrives.

I certainly wouldn't have it done if it affects the performance of the engine, but if H149 Recall isn't done would that affect any warranty.

Regards Tom.

I thought any recall would affect the warranty. Inchcape in Norwich told me there was a belt to be replaced too. I wonder if anyone has actually had the recall satisfied and can speak from experience 

6 minutes ago, PeteL said:

I thought any recall would affect the warranty. Inchcape in Norwich told me there was a belt to be replaced too. I wonder if anyone has actually had the recall satisfied and can speak from experience 

Yes it looks like that there's more to the Recall than just changing the Engine Oil.

I'm having a test drive in an XF on Monday, and i should have looked at the Topix vehicle summary list that i got today before i sent the post above.

As the Topix vehicle summary list has on it , an Outstanding Campaign H149 and it says Engine System Upgrade.

Regards Tom.

Hi all,

In short mushroom treatment from Jaguar.

Just called Jaguar customer service centre and they were not knowledgeable, when asked what is involved in the recall: "They do some tests and tweak if necessary! might have to upgrade the software etc, or may be change some stuff"

I asked what the resultant change would be in XF (2017 2l D), i.e would the economy and performance change, he said he did not know?

I said presumably the boffins within Jaguar would have this information as they would have had to do extensive testing and would know what the results were and what the impact would be, he advised that he did not have that type of information. I asked could he find out, to which he answered no, I then asked if I could email the technical department, he said that they do not give this information out!

Is it any wonder consumers loose faith in brands when those brands are less than transparent with their customers.

I have bought Jaguars & Landrovers with my heart and not my mind (much to the ridicule of friends and colleagues), knowing the build quality is never as good as the Germans or Japanese. Next time I will ignore the heart, no more JLR for me. 

Hi.

Ref to H149 recall for Jaguar XF emissions.My car is A 2018 XF R SPORT.I have emailed Jaguar customer experience to actually 

specify in detail the exact work to be carried out relating to the recall.After two emails asking for details of work applicable to the recall 

all I get.by return is the standard letter sent out to all owners for the recall.

My next step was to contact the service manager at a main dealership where I purchased the car and was assured for the XF diesels   2litre 

all that’s required is an Oil and filter change.

I suspect Jaguar are playing the avoidance game fearing any litigation,

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all ,

2016 Jaguar XF R sport 2.0 D

I have been looking for some updated info , regarding the emissions recall.

Lots of info informing owners about the recall, but very little about its effect on the cars afterward.

I decided to contact the dvsa and had a conversation with one of there senior officers, regarding the possibility of getting the car returned with deminished driving ability.

I was assured that there is no legal requirement!!!!  to have this recall completed, allthough he did try to persude me that i should consider that my vehicle pollutting the enviroment.

And i felt i had to coment that my car was far less poluting than some of the earlier diesels.

I have spent ages trawlling the net for info regarding people who have had the recall completed , and there views afterward! , have any other forum members found any usefull info?

Regards to all.

Hi John, no I only know what I got told right at the start of all this. However, having checked two weeks ago with my dealer “ the Oil is on back order “. I have to call them again in November 

Regards to all

• 2 weeks later...

I had the H149 done to my 2.0l diesel XF at Inchcape in Preston. Performance doesn't seem to affected, however, after driving for about 60mls a warning for incorrect diesel emission fluid detected appeared. I have contacted JLR who carried out the work and they have said it was just an Oil and filter change and therefore not their fault. Has anyone else had this problem?

23 hours ago, Jackomoonshine said:

I had the H149 done to my 2.0l diesel XF at Inchcape in Preston. Performance doesn't seem to affected, however, after driving for about 60mls a warning for incorrect diesel emission fluid detected appeared. I have contacted JLR who carried out the work and they have said it was just an oil and filter change and therefore not their fault. Has anyone else had this problem?

When i bought my XF in September from a Ford garage they said  that they had booked the car in for a Software update to the local Jaguar dealer's and also said that they had bought 16 litres of AdBlue from the Jaguar dealer that sold the car in the first place, and filled up the DEF Reservoir in the boot. Well after driving 37 miles to get home i get a message about the AdBlue not being properly dispersed and the message said Non Critical.

So the car went in for the H149 Recall to the Jaguar Dealer and then i get a phone call telling me that to delete the Non Critical message from the Dash they would need to Drain the AdBlue and then refill with New Ad Blue and asking me to Pay £160 pounds for this to be done, so i told them to phone the Ford garage and they agreed to pay the £160 pounds.The Handbook does mention that overfilling can Cause Problems, my mechanic that has serviced my car's over the year's said that he Just Tops up the Ad Blue Reservoir and doesn't no how it can be Overfilled .

• 3 weeks later...

Had my 2.0D MY2016 XF Portfolio in for H149 last week. Initially they couldn't tell me details of what was done, but on pressing them, they printed off ALL the details for the H149 recall. It applies differently depending on whether XE or XF. For XE it further depends on year of manufacture. but for all XE's it involves renewal of Accessory drive belt, Update Power Train module, Replacement of ECU. For the 2016 XE EGR rework required. It seems to specifically EXCLUDE Oil and filter changes for XE models.

However for all XF models all that is done is an Oil filter and Oil change to Castrol Edge Professional E 0W-30. It says that this is a new formula. It specifically mentions no other work under this recall for ANY XF so cannot understand why  people are being told otherwise. I have the printed document from Jaguar. There is a partial URL at the foot of the page:

https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topix/service/procedure/1026317/ODYSSEY_FSA/G24..... 

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Glad to join the community! I have just had the H149 done on my XF, 2017 and I demanded a report because:

- when I called in for the recall I was told over the phone that it was a software recall

- when I came into the booking, I saw approx 12 page document in their hands - a file for my car. When I asked to tell me what will be done, they told me they were to check loads of stuff on my car in the engine and the exhaust system.

- I was given the car back in approx. 6-7 hours (same loads of paperwork in their hands but they refused to give me a copy), instead they told me they would send the summary over email.

- couple of days after I wrote to them and to JLR, nothing happened

- I called them the next day and finally a man agreed to send me the paperwork. One page that said: change of Oil and filter.

In all of this situation, I wish they were transparent and not withhold information on what they have checked. Oil and filter change requires an hour, not 6 hours. On the other hand, nothing changed with the driving experience and I am still a happy Jag owner.

Hi Arnas and welcome to the club.

I appears to me that you have been in the secret service of a car dealer.  My last visit to a main dealer was to check why I had a amber light on my dashboard --  I was not used to Jaguars. It was a long time ago and £67 for a 10 minute job force me to keep my wallet closed when passing Main Dealer.

I have had a mobile mechanic for 19 years now and he has never let me down and what I paid £67 for he does for nowt!

Just keep enjoying your Jaguar!

Regards,

Peter.