Love vs. Cost

Mr. Martin

Hi All,

I've only just signed up as a member but I've been peeking here for a while now. I owe this forum a lot.

So in August of 2016, I got a car from my father when he was moving up the ladder. When he used to be the driver, I never really liked this car, it was only when I first got to drive it that I really fell in love with it. It's now my own, this S-Type 2.7 Diesel, and it's by far the best car I've ever driven. It will soon reach its 300,000km mark, almost half of that done by me since I've had it.

It required some costly work in the last few years, and it will require a good bit more. I've just ordered two new wishbones for the rear and a few other bits and pieces, the turbo needs regeneration and the gearbox has been acting up - I'll be getting it serviced soon with the rest of the work, hopefully that's all it needs. All of this will be around €1,500 bringing the grand total for 2019 to €3,000. New timing belt, rear break discs & pads (Bosch), 3 track control arms and now rear wishbones, turbo and serviced gearbox. This should make the car 100%, but for how long?

My dilemma is this: I've been advised by everyone to get rid of the car and get something new - things will just keep breaking and it's a never-ending story. Thing is, none of these people understand just how much I love my S-Type. I know you do. Hence my question to you: is it all worth it?

I know some of this forum's top members are S-Type lovers like me, I respect you greatly and same goes for your advice. Thank you in advance.

Welcome to the club, Martin.

I have an s type 07plate and a 2.7 diesel.  Like you, I find that it is a great car to drive and in the 6 years I have had mine I have enjoyed every minute.  My car has done 85,000 miles, with minimal cost and my intention is to keep it forever [I am 85].

I would be inclined to keep you car  --  it is one of the last to be made --  but in the event of more costly repairs I would look around for a similar s Type with a lower mileage.  There are quite a few around in the UK.

Regards, 

Peter.

Hi Martin, and welcome to the club.

I agree with Peter. Personally I'd weigh up whether or not the upcoming (and previous) work will keep the car on the road for any appreciable time; there inevitably comes a point of no return, particularly on a high-mileage car, and it may be that it's reached that point.

There's no harm in browsing for one with fewer issues and a lower mileage - you may find one at a good price that you like. I've had Jags all my driving life, and there'll always be one out there for you.

Regards, Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies guys. Personally, I feel it's not like the car is constantly breaking down, just that a lot of the overdue works are becoming necessary and urgent now. The money I've already spent on it doesn't bother me as much, knowing I've paid for the best parts and gotten pretty good deals (thanks to buycarparts.co.uk!). I see it as an investment in 'renewing' the car and while some like to spend money on new phones, jewellery or fancy clothes, I kinda feel happy buying the good parts for my car. Sort of like a hobby I guess, doing the work on this car. Also, it would feel like a waste if I was to sell this car now, because nobody would appreciate the work done on it.

Now, the motor runs well, the transmission may (hopefully) be back to normal after the service, electrics aren't acting up so I think I might have a good foundation to build on. A lot of the costs is consumable parts, so maybe it's just the time when the car will need a new everything, but maybe there's not so much to do after all.

I may be wrong (likely!), but I believe that at a certain age (12 in this case) you just need to buy the car again in a way, meaning replacing most parts because they were designed to live maybe 10 years. But once that's done, there is no reason why the car shouldn't live another term, starting from basically new again. Would you agree?

I can understand your wanting to keep the car, but at 300,000km (200,000 miles) I'd be reluctant to throw good money at it. You haven't mentioned anything about the engine, which must be pretty worn by now. After rectifying the current faults what would you do if the big ends start knocking or the rear crankshaft seal starts leaking? They're both engine-out jobs. I would guess that the cams must be pretty worn by now too. Great if you've got the time and facilities to do the work yourself, but if not there'd be some serious decisions to be made.

Again, it's a personal view, but I'd be looking for something else.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership