OBD access ?

Walkly

Is there anyway to access my '10 plate XF on board diagnostics from the dash or will I require a computer reader.  I would particulary like to monitor the 3.0 diesels engine temperature, this was a matter of a few secret presses of buttons to do on dash in my last MG ZTT.  I am surprised Jag left out a temp guage (ok, I know most of them are pretty useless anyway) and left it down to idiot lights - orange and red warnings when it's just about too late.  Surprises me for such a drivers car...

Thanks People.

hi

if you google it theres lots of info on it

[Diagnostic Screen Access]
1.With the vehicle at rest, place the ignition switch in either
"ACC", "ON", or start the engine.
2.On the "Menu" screen, press the top center of the screen
(circled portion in the image to the left) for more than three
seconds.
3.Enter the PIN code, and then touch "OK".
660: Diagnosis Menu screen
661: System Check screen (DTC code verification screen)
662: GPS Information screen
4.The diagnostics screen will be displayed.2. DIAGNOSIS SCREEN
2.1 Diagnosis Menu
? Transition to various check screens from the Diagnosis menu screen.

cheers

Joe

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi

if you google it theres lots of info on it

[Diagnostic Screen Access]
1.With the vehicle at rest, place the ignition switch in either
"ACC", "ON", or start the engine.
2.On the "Menu" screen, press the top center of the screen
(circled portion in the image to the left) for more than three
seconds.
3.Enter the PIN code, and then touch "OK".
660: Diagnosis Menu screen
661: System Check screen (DTC code verification screen)
662: GPS Information screen
4.The diagnostics screen will be displayed.2. DIAGNOSIS SCREEN
2.1 Diagnosis Menu
? Transition to various check screens from the Diagnosis menu screen.

cheers

Joe

Thanks Joe, so my car doesn't really have Acc or on options, it's a push button start, but I will try in engine running mode.

I would like to see the image you talk about but it doesn't appear to be in your post.  I've never seen anything like what you describe on the screen.  Secondly... pin code ?  what would that be ?

If you could talk me through this it would be excellent and I would love you a long time.  TBH, google doesn't come up with much but cookies and advertising.

Thanks Joe for all of your input, but it's really not what I'm looking for. in fact it's about useless.  It looks like I will be investing in what Ian is suggesting.  Gawd, a simple temp gauge, or even a digital read out of speed would be nice.  I love this car but some things are not thought out as they should be for a luxury sports saloon.  Hey ho. keep saving for the F-Pace 🙂

Hi Martin,

I too was a bit surprised by the absence of a temp gauge - never seen that before! Even my first ever car (a 1965 Ford Anglia) had one! But as far as overheating risk goes, I'd probably notice a warning message sooner than a gauge creeping up, so maybe not such a bad idea after all.

What I do miss is knowing when the engine warmed up enough to really 'GO' after a cold start - I don't like to rag it while still cold.

Good luck with the diagnostics.

Cheers,
Jon

only other option was like above, buy a cheap bluetooth elm adapter, can be bought for around a fiver, just pop it in the OBD port, then use something like " Tourqe app " on your phone and you will be able to view temp that way

There will be a way to view, but its just finding how to

I have a S-type R, well its the same on all S-types, you get a temperature gauge, but its just for show, they show cold then goes slowly to  the center of the gauge, which would indicate normal running temp, but on the S-type's you can put the dash into diagnostic mode and bring up the actual engine temperature, the temperature can move over 30 deg C and the temperature gauge always stays in the center, its as if they dont trust you with the actual temperature itself, only when the temp gets too hot, just before overheating does the gauge move from the center position to full temp. The diagnostic mode on the S-types is very usefull and xf will have something similar, its just finding how to access it

cheers

Joe

Thank you Joe.  I will do something like this.

With my old MG ZTT (had the big cat for a year now) the club members even developed a little circuit board that would read the bus and enable you to put a digital temp read out straight from the bus which you could place anywhere discretely on the dash so it looked good too.  Temperature guages are, like you describe, nearly as useless as an on/off switch and often warn you far too late really especially if you need 10 minutes or something to find a safe place to pull over.

I bought a "cheap" bluetooth ELM327 I think around £15 and got the "Torque Pro" app on my android phone for £2.50. Definitely the way to go. You can choose how many dials with whatever information you wish. In my example below the engine is still cold so coolant is at ambient. There is a thread on the Torque Pro forum for DPF readout if you wish that info. 

20191023_164534.jpg

Well, I was going to get the torque pro ELM327 to suit the Torque pro app but they're temporarily out of stock.   Will get one very soon and post how I get on in case someone else out there in Jag-land is looking for similar.

Thanks everyone for your help, nice to see an active helpful forum !

• 9 months later...

I think you get a warning if car is overheating in main dash, more likely coolant system will go pop than the overheating system coming on, apparently coolant system good but complicated.