2004 S Type 2.5L Waterpump replacement

Baudinot

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe and everybody,

Started the water pump replacement job over Christmas. I'm sorry, being a bit thick, but I don't get the bit about the belt tensioner. Can you be a bit more specific which pully the drawing refers to and where it is, and how it actually works. Also, how do I get the right tension back on. Does it matter if any of the pulleys move while the belt is off? 

Kindest regards

Baudinot

Happy Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to you all !!!!

the belt tensioner is the only one that moves, the wheel is fixed to a alloy arm that has a 3/8 square in it, your 3/8 ratchet slot into the arm which is spring loaded,

by turning it one way it releases the belt tension,you have to hold it there while you remove the belt off any roller, letting go of it causes it to spring back

its spring return so the tension is self setting

refitting is reverse, put the belt on all the other rollers, then rotate the last one the tensioner, hold it there and slip the belt back on

look at the video above at 3:04, he puts the 3/8 ratchet into the tensioner and releases the tension.

its also worth taking a few pics with your phone of where the belt runs, as it quickly forgotten once removed

cheers

Joe

• Like 1

1464356503_WPTensioner2.thumb.jpg.f826cd259efc15a1c14f214b74402951.jpg

Hi Guys'

This is a pic of the waterpump belt tensioner. I tried turning the 3/8 square drive anticlockwise. But it barely moved. Should I have loosened the nut below it first? Or tried a harder pull with a longer bar? How far to the left will it move. I am worried about snapping something.

Sorry to be such a pain. By the way, one of my hoses looks dodgy. Who is best for replacement hoses?

Kind regards

Baudinot

Water pump tensioner.jpg

hi

like in the video, put your ratchet in the square, usually easiest if your ratchet is in line with the tensioner

so with the ratchet pointing straight up, push it to the left, anti clockwise, no need to touch the nut, pulley will move a least 1/2" to a 1"

there will be spring tension, I use a power bar, 2 foot long, makes it easier

and the tension will slacken, I would push the belt back towards the engine off the tensioner pulley

then you can release the ratchet

turning it to the right, clockwise, your just pushing against the belt, it would not move

cheers

Joe

Hi Joe and everyone watching this saga. 

Progress? It's going well. New pump installed, new belt installed, new air filter installed, and ready with the antifreeze.

All but one of the hoses reconnected. The last one, a push-fit connector to the bottom of the header tank, uses a spring clip to hold it in place. Very fiddly as one is working mostly blind.  Guess who dropped the spring clip into the depths of the engine bay. Gave up looking when the light failed at 1600 today. Too late to ring the parts dept at Lancaster Milton Keynes. Any ideas as to where I can get another one? Better to get two, in case I lose the replacement. 

Rgds

Ed

Taloo! Talay! O joyous day!

'Rupert' is out of theatre, back on the ward. He will be having visitors today. Hope someone brings him a nip of gin to celebrate with. 

The day started propitiously. It took half an hour of determined searching before I finally found the missing clip. My heart soared. Saved me another £80. After that it was air filter in, trunking connected, hose clips checked and final connections made. In with the 50/50 antifreeze and switch on. The pump just gently hums. The new belt slips silently round. After warmup, the engine is running at a little lower temperature than usual. It's breathing better. Bodes well for better economy and a bit more ummmph. Just waiting now to see if it has any leaks, though none visible as yet.

Mega thanks to you, Joe, and everyone else who helped this septuagenarian amateur spanner-slinger. It has been great fun, reminding me of days past when I thought nothing of taking  engines to bits with nothing more comprehensive than a heavy screwdriver and a box of bicycle spanners.

A very large Bombay and Tonic to you all. 🙂

(Closing the garage door on him, I could swear 'Rupert' is smiling}. 

Ed

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership