European headlight adjust

Xk john

I will be registering my 2011 XK in France and will need to change the headlight direction for left hand drive. Looking on the internet it appears the XF has a lever that can be moved to change the headlight direction, has anyone any info on this - is there any instructions anywhere. I do not want to buy two replacement headlights if at all possible....dread to think of the cost.

A very helpful lady at Jaguar informs me that apparently my model does not have the lever - see below:

Thank you for your email dated 9th February 2020.

I note your question regarding the headlights on your Jaguar XK when driving in France. I have taken this opportunity to liaise with our Technical Team and they have advised your vehicle headlights are of the bi xenon type. Therefore, they are a flat beam and do not require adjustment, hence the lever not being present.

I hope this answers your question and should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Sharon Casey

Customer Solutions Executive

UK Customer Experience Centre

Superb service from Jaguar Customer Care Centre for both my recent queries.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2010 XK with bi xenons and the lever is definitely there as described. Easy to access and move. Poor advice from Jaguar, xenon beams are NOT flat, they are raised on the near side (left hand side in the UK), flicking the lever flattens the beam so this doesn't blind oncoming drivers when driving on the 'opposite' side of the road.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the process of buying a 2006 XK, and while I'm waiting to collect it I've been reading through the 2008 owner's manual. On this topic I see that the headlamp units need to be removed completely if you want to flick the lever or even change a Bulb. Is that correct, or can it be done without taking the unit out?

• 2 months later...

June 8th - France. Well Jaguar were wrong and my XK must have levers as the car has just failed the Controlle Technique (MOT) here in France that I need to change the registration to France. So G2EOF is spot on, I will now investigate the lever situation and hopefully return to the test station for a pass!!

Thanks for the comments and advice. 

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I have a 2013 XKR and have spent hours trawling sites, forums, user guides, techpubs etc...
I imported mine last year, thankfully the guy doing the French MOT said "well its a UK car so I didn't test the lights". 

So in fact I was able to get the paper I needed to register the car and now have a 2 year breathing space before the next test !

What I found was:

• There are a mind boggling number of combinations of headlamp, Bulb and configurations for the front light
  • Jaguar don't know the answer despite providing them with the VIN number
  • There isn't an easy way for the novice to work out what is fitted or what to do about it

How to find out if you need to change your headlights

• Park against a wall - maybe 5 feet away (just over a meter if you want to be European)
  • Look at the shape of the beam.
  • If it kicks up at one side - then the lights have to be fixed.
  • This isn't just lowering the beam - there is a deflector plate inside the headlamp itself with a ledge cut in it to deflect the beam.

Now... how to do this

• Remove the bumper (Yes you do - or have a magical touch like Harry Houdini to wiggle out the light)
  • Open the lens by baking it in oven
  • Remove the beam deflector
  • Fit european ones that you can buy on e-bay
  • Reassemble
  • Rebake in the oven to seal everything off
  • Put it all back together again

Or  try these guys - a bit pricy but a lot easier...

https://www.reflektorklinik.de/

I should start this in February - but now I have to find a jack that will go under the sill cos its a tiny bit low !

Best

Andy

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership