XK8 low oil pressure query

Hi all....Today, I thought I would give some attention to the recently acquired 1997 4.0 XK8 that  I bought for a very reasonable sum approximately four weeks ago...I purchased it on the basis that it was a non-runner but would turn over..I started by checking Oil and water....the water was fine but there was no Oil i it....I had in the garage 5 1/2 litres of semi synthetic Castrol. so I filled it up...I am not sure it was enough as the dip stick showed barely any Oil, but I thought it was a reasonable amount to add.....I attached a good new battery to it and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it fired up!....it seemed to idle ok.....but I noticed the rev counter was sitting at 0, and the 'check engine' light was on, so I turned it off....I then re-started it and it fired up and I seem to recall that the rev counter was now registering revs but it then cut out....the oil gauge showed no pressure...I was wondering if anyone could offer some insight?.... i  am in no hurry to get it running but I am happy to have a tinker as best as my limited mechanical skills allow!

Bill 

BUE 1997 XK8.jpg

Hi Bill.

Albeit it seems like you may have got a bargain, if it is Oil pump, bottom end engine wear or other related issues then this may cost vastly more than possibly fitting another engine and go from there.

It would be prudent to take some true readings....e.g. Oil pressure, compression, leak-down, etc to determine exactly what is going on inside the engine.

Keep up updated as always keen to know any related issues with these engines and good luck

Hi all...I just thought I would give you all an update on the situation of the 'low Oil pressure' 1997 4.0 XK8....I haven't investigated the car itself any further, but I have been doing some research into possible avenues...I intend to follow the advice of Trevor ( given above ) as regards taking readings of Oil pressure, compression etc and I will do that before I commit to any work or expenditure on the car....

What I have done is taken the worst case scenario and investigated it...the scenario being that a replacement engine is required.

1..I started at what I consider to be the base or cheapest option....and that is of buying a used engine with no ancillaries....they seem to be available from £500 upwards....there is no history with them, no warranty is offered  and they need re-fitting with ancillaries and re-installing....I have determined that fitting the engine is in the region of £500-£1000...the overall cost is in the region of £2000+

2 I considered a complete engine with known history, and approx 6 months warranty available for approx,£1000...again fitting is in the region of £500-£1000...so the overall cost is again, in the region of £2000..

3 I looked into having an engine fully rebuilt....I came across either a website or search engine ( im not very computer literate so I am not sure what you would call it ) which allowed you to 'tender' a job and have different companies submit a quote....I received a total of 3 different quotes....they each offered to EITHER provide a fully rebuilt engine or fully rebuild the existing engine...two of the quotes provided for the removal of existing engine, the removal of all ancillaries, the supply and fitting of a rebuilt engine ( with all ancillaries re-attached ) with the existing engine taken on an 'exchange basis'...they were both offered with a 12 month warranty with the following work carried out:

• Brand new service parts (Oil filter & Engine Oil)
• Piston Rings
• Main Bearing
• Con-rod Bearing
oil Seals
• Valve Stem Seals
• Head Gas kit
• Camshaft Inspected
• Timing Chain/Belt Kit
• Liner Polishing
• Crankshaft Regrinding 
oil Leaks Tested
• Crankshaft Front Seal
• Crank Shaft Rear Seal
• Rocker Cover Gasket
• Inlet & Exhaust Manifold Gaskets
• Cylinder Head Pressure Testing & Skimming

Both companies quoted £4000 total.

The company which quoted for a rebuild of the existing engine offered the following:

Engine will be stripped and all parts cleaned in a chemical bath, engine block will be honed if needed.
 All piston rings are replaced
 Where required; crank is re-polished and re-ground and refitted with new bearing shells (both big end and main)
 The head is pressure tested and skimmed, valves cleaned and re-seated, new seals fitted
 All head and engine gaskets are replaced
 New timing belt or chain fitted (please note extra cost may apply if your vehicle has more than one)
 New water pump (Electric pumps will be charged extra if required)
 Injectors cleaned and tested
 Where applicable; turbo will be removed, tested and cleaned
 Radiator checked and flushed
 Coolant replaced
 Oil and filter replaced

Again, a 12 month warranty was offered and the price included the recovery of the car to their premises. The price quoted was £3800.

The funny thing is I received a second email from one of the two companies quoting for  a rebuilt engine on an exchange basis, and they lowered the quote from  £4000 to £3300!
I guess they were eager to have the business.

Personally, I think either option is good value. If you are going to spend £2000+ on an engine with no or little guarantee of the internals, an extra £2000 or so for what is essentially a brand new engine seems like a bargain to me. Looking at it over the course of 10 or 20 years, it is not a vast amount of money. I shudder to think what 'Jaguar' would charge for a brand new 4.0 XK8 engine. I estimate £10000 plus.

Having said that, I could not necessarily  justify spending £4000 on the blue XK8. It is not pristine, has no service history, and I only paid a meagre sum for it.

On the other hand, should my red XK8 require an engine, I would consider it. It has relatively low miles (114k), a full main dealer stamped service history, lots of receipts and a rust free body and chassis. 

For now, I plan to carry out a full investigation of the blue XK8's engine and will proceed with 'something'   once I know the full picture...I will keep you updated 🙂

Bill

MY XKK8'S.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all..I thought I would give  short update on proceedings....It seems that the 'Corona Virus' lock down restrictions and the potential job losses  etc are having an effect on businesses, which may benefit the consumer....Further, to the quotes that I received for replacement/rebuilt 4.0 engines, I have received  two new ones....the first is from one of the companies who originally quoted me to for a replacement engine...they have lowered their asking price from £4000 to £3750....and secondly I have received a quote from a new company....they are asking just £2500!...what a bargain!...although I must admit, at  that price I would have some concerns about the workmanship/standard of finish etc....but on the face of it, very tempting!...but, for now, I will stick to my original plan of fully investigating the current engine.

Bill