Conversion to LED headlamps

Kamal

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

I changed the bulbs to H7 LED. Ones with the inbuilt fan. My main issue was obtaining the different retaining clips, dip and main beam use different clips and different again to the standard ones. The bulbs were sold as a direct “plug and play” replacement, so I was not amused when I found I had to start again. I did get a 50% discount on the bulbs as it was an obvious trade description infringement. Now main beam is very good and dip is cleaner if a bit to white for me. 

• 7 months later...
On 10/31/2020 at 1:41 PM, Apriliaman2000 said:

I changed the bulbs to H7 LED. Ones with the inbuilt fan. My main issue was obtaining the different retaining clips, dip and main beam use different clips and different again to the standard ones. The bulbs were sold as a direct “plug and play” replacement, so I was not amused when I found I had to start again. I did get a 50% discount on the bulbs as it was an obvious trade description infringement. Now main beam is very good and dip is cleaner if a bit to white for me. 

Old post I know, but I've been curious about this as I've just bought a 2009 XF and have no idea which type of lights it comes with, i.e. halogen or xenon. Spec descriptions seem vague and say "some models" come with HID/Xenon, but don't specify which ones. Anyway, I have a pack of aftermarket LEDs for my last car which I never got around to fitting and I think they're the same one, H7 so we'll see.

But I do have some sympathy with aftermarket parts manufacturers, as the parts are generic and meant to cover a range of cars. However, as you found out the XF has different retaining clips and there's no way an aftermarket seller or manufacturer can go through every possible variant of every possible car and know if they're actually going to fit or not for certain, especially given what I said in the first sentence. I'm surprised they didn't have a disclaimer on their site (or maybe they did and the sales assistant wasn't aware of it).

This sort of thing isn't usually an "obvious trade description infringement", it simply happens for the reasons stated and I think buyers should be a little more tolerant of this sort of issue - you would have been entitled to a full refund, but if you're asking an aftermarket manufacturer and/or retailer to know what Bulb fits every vehicle (and technically it did, it was just the clips that were the issue), then I just think people are asking too much and should be prepared for this sort of issue. 

If I have an issue with items I buy, I generally inform the seller. Not to get a refund as much as letting them know a potential problem, so they can either solve it or amend future sales information. In the case of the LED bulbs, the seller did know there was a problem with fitting and gave me the details of a competitor who sold the clips. The gave me a partial refund as a sorry, without my asking/demanding. 
bulbs still work okay, especially on a dark road, but not ideal in when raining. It’s the white light somehow not lighting up the road the same as halogen. But great on main beam. 
Rob

• Like 1

That's fair comment, especially if they knew about the problem. In that case they should have stated that upfront. I'm probably thinking as an online retailer so I see it from both sides. 

I've heard other people who have switched cars say that they find their new car with LEDs are not as good as what they had previously. Does make you wonder if it's a bit of a sales gimmick.

Yes I have a shop on eBay so I’m aware of being courteous as well. But I had converted my previous Jag, a X type, to HID, so when I got the XF I was genuinely shocked at how bad the standard lights were!! It was like driving something out of the 60’s with Prince of darkness electrics. 

That's interesting, I've never really heard any complaints about the lights but it seems to be something I'm always unlucky with, whenever I replace my car the lights always seem to be worse than on the previous car. At least it's the right time of year so I have time to do something about it. 

Mine is the 09 Premium Lux version so I'm hoping it has the Xenon lights, but I'll know in a couple of days. 

Yes, just read elsewhere that it had to be Portfolio spec to get the Xenons. I did look for one but couldn't find anything in my price range, except for very high mileage so I took the option of missing a few toys but with much lower mileage, which is probably more important. I still have that LED upgrade kit if the lights are that bad, and if that doesn't fit I can resell it and buy the correct one. They're not that expensive.

I knew HIDs were, wasn't sure about LEDs. It's probably one of those they would never actually bother you for. When I bought my current car it had blue LED sidelights and I left them in until one failed, 4 or 5 years later. I drove past the main police HQ every day for years, and there are always police cars around. Never once got pulled up - nor for the dog standing on the centre armrest. He was strapped in, but you couldn't really see that from outside the car. Never failed an MOT for the bulbs either. 

Many thanks for this interesting link. My local MOT garage actually fitted my HID bulbs on my X-type, but had to remove a lot of the front end to do it , so can’t see any garage going to those lengths just to check the E marking?? As long as the pattern and height is ok, in reality the car should pass ok. On a side note I wonder if this legislation is why there is a mix and match of led/ filament bulbs for the tail lamp assembly??

For what it's worth: my 2d(!) worth...

My last company car before I retired (3y ago) was a Mercedes with LED headlights and auto-dimming. Dipped beam coverage was OK but very white. Main beam was astonishing, but I always had to be wary of the car not dipping in time, if someone came toward me. This leads me to wonder if auto-dipping lights are a half-step too far; after all, it isn't a major hassle to pull the stalk toward you if you spot a car coming.

Change of influence...
"Steerable" headlights (anyone remember the Citroen DS?) are (IMHO) very useful. Lots of cars have mocked them up (including my XF) with a light which shines into the corner You're turning into.

So, back to my XF-S...
I actually find the lights totally acceptable. I once had a Citroen DS5, which seems to have it's mission in life to light up the universe; forgetting about the road!

On country lanes, the XF generates a kind of 'tunnel' of light, which, with the corner addition, seems to be OK.

However, my boss (the wife) has an Audi TT (2015), which I really dislike...

• Suspension is soooo hard
  • No room for a 6'1" driver
  • No room for any sensible luggage
  • Noisy as all hell

So basically...

We are all here because we are passionate about our lovely cars!

Let's enjoy 'em and not change 'em too much! (although I did tint my rear windows (Soz!)

J

2 hours ago, Jon Hyde said:

after all, it isn't a major hassle to pull the stalk toward you if you spot a car coming.......

True, but it's amazing how many seem to forget to. 

First job I had from leaving school, the guy I worked for had a DS. I remember I was never going to buy anything else! 😅

On the pittance we were on then though I couldn't even afford a pushbike. 

I'm early 60's too, seems to be a theme developing here!

Although my missus doesn't drive (and doesn't like going fast, which to her is anything over 40), she likes to know what all the buttons are for. The one with the chequered flag on is going to be tricky....

• Like 1

My wife does drive, but it’s a Toyota and a few times she has leaned over to look at my speedometer, turns out she was going to complain I was going slow, till she realised the real speed and just how deceptively quick these Jaguars can be. Actually I suppose that applies to all luxury cars? 
mid you want to talk wages, my first one was for £1 and10  shillings. Compared to the current hourly rate….  Wow.