New Member - Not an owner till next year. What model do I buy?

Hi everyone. Looking for advice on what model to buy. There are too many options to choose from and I don't know where to start (or stop), so your help would be appreciated.

Presently I drive a Honda Civic which I'm happy with, but next year it's going to be a Jaguar. I've had my heart set on a XJ with my second choice being the XF, and finally if all else fails I'm definitely having an XE. I'm having a Jaguar and that's not negotiable.

Recently I booked a test drive with a local independent dealer hoping to drive an XJ to make sure I could cope with it. The day came for my test drive but the XJ had been sold so I was offered a 2 litre XF R-Sport. Got out on the open road and gently put my foot down and I’m like WHAT THE ACTUAL…… (I’ll leave you to fill in the gaps). Never been so pleased with the power behind it and also a bit frightened too!

I still want to try an XJ at some point.

So here’s my dilemma. Do I be sensible and go with a 2 litre XF R-Sport? The 3 litre XF sounds nice and I would like the virtual instrument display, but can I get one on an XF 2 litre or 3 litre? Should I just go the whole hog and get a decent XJ?

I’ve seen that road tax is an extra £300 a year for up to five years if the list price was above £40k. On the 2 litre models though I like the sounds of £30 road tax even on an R-Sport!

Mileage… as little as possible. Interior… something nice, light and airy. Also I'll be approaching 60 and my insurance is hovering around the £500 mark

I’m going to have about £20,000 to play with, probably under that, and anything over would be a struggle.

I expect I’m asking too much. However, thanks for reading this essay and I look forward to being part of the Jaguar community – with an actual car in summer 2021.

Hi Matthew, and welcome to the club.

Jaguars are great cars and I wanted a Mk2 in 1963 when I saw my friend refurbishing a Mark1. A limited amount in my back pocket and then 29 years of company cars prevented me.  In 2013 I got the S Type which I still have and enjoy immensely.

I read up on reviews how the S type performed and I would suggest you did the same with both the XF and the XJ.  Both are great cars, but I have driven neither so I can only go on what has been said by other.  You have the time to do so, so good luck and happy hunting!

Regards,

Peter.

If I may ask another question? Is it better to buy a Jaguar from an approved dealer and have them service it, or buy from a reputable independent retailer and use your own trusted mechanic to look after it?

I feel I may know the answer already.

Thank You.

Hi Matthew,

I have always bought from main dealers,  --  their reputation is too good to loose.

I have always have my cars serviced by a mobile mechanic for the last 19 years, though.

Regards,

Peter. 

Im in a "similar" positiont to you...... (well same age same budget.. and want either an XE or an Xf!).

I used to have a lovely 2.2. Auto Diesel X type...stupildly I sold it though!

This time around, I want a petrol, as I wont be doing many miles at all, as Im recently retired.

I did even have a look around for an 09 or 09 plate petrol X Type...could only find one though! That wasnt a diesel though, that was an 08 diesel estate.

Saying that...maybe they stopped production on 2008?

As regards to an XJ......Id love one! Only trouble is...Im no mechanic...and I feel (probably wrongly!) that it wouldnt be something for me...as I say...Im probalby way off! I mean if I was to find a "sorted" XJ....with the mileage I would do....it would probably be ideal! (I intend...as soon as covid i gone! to spend the winters away..so I would only be home for maybe 7 months of the year anyway!).

Decisions , decisions...Sorry Im no use to your questions........Still at least you arent the only one in this decision making process!

I did have a quick look online at Jaguar cars on their site...........in all fairness....they werent as expensive ( compared to other sellers I mean!)  as I thought they would be...so could well be an option, as you would surely get a good a car from them?.

On 6/18/2020 at 6:46 PM, mattprice61 said:

If I may ask another question? Is it better to buy a Jaguar from an approved dealer and have them service it, or buy from a reputable independent retailer and use your own trusted mechanic to look after it?

I feel I may know the answer already.

Thank You.

Bought my 2013 sportbrake from Motorparks preston 2 yrs Ok. Actually a volvo/fiat dealer but they offerred a "Warranty4Life" if you bought a service plan. £ 400 for the warranty and £550 for 3 years servicing. Was a bit nervous about the warranty as with all insurance - the proof of the pudding is in the eating. As I have posted in another thread my rear doors stopped working along with with the rear windows after I left it too long in lockdown with a flat battery 😞

Lesson learned and now on Ctek 24/7 but point is repair was quick and free covered by warranty. They rang one of the Jag dealers in the group who talked them through repair.

Basically I am so impressed with the warranty (and the dealer / service is very good) I intend to renew service contract on my XF for another 2 years (Warranty covers virtually everything until car is 100k or 10yrs old). AA relay included. Further I am then thinking in another 3 yrs when I intend changing (probs an XJ) i will start my search in the Jag dealers of Motorparks, (Nearest to me is Swindon about 160miles each way - with intention of buying with the same deal with a service plan and Warranty4Life. I really am that impressed I would do a 300mile + round trip to get it serviced). Next choice would be Jag approved and Jag warranty.

John

• Like 1

I'm still going bonkers thinking and talking about them most days. Went to Motorrange in Liverpool today in the hope of next week test driving an XJ -  looked at a very nice black specimen only to notcie the salesman come out with trhe keys and show another couple around the car.

Still if my numbers come up on tonights lottery I'mm have the ncie XJ50 at Inchcape in Preston!!

Choices choices.