Recently had a new battery installed.

Now both rear door locks aren't working properly.  Of course, when the guy at Halfords disconnected the old battery everything went dead - I wonder if tis may have affected the computer system and/or the electronic door mechanism?

I discovered several days later that rear door locks are playing up.  1) The right rear always locks correctly but will only unlock intermittently and 2) the left rear door will not unlock at all.  Both rear doors were working perfectly before the battery was replaced.

I seem to recall many years ago when a previous battery was being replaced by the Jag garage, that the mechanic mentioned me that you must maintain power to the car electronics while the battery is being replace.  Could this be true?

Does anyone have any ideas on what may have caused this door lock problem on both rear doors at the same time?

Any ideas on how to repair the problem or is it a complete replacement of each door locking mechanism?

All help greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the club, Roy.

If a battery is disconnected certain electrics need  resetting.

Windows, Volume, radio etc --  you need the radio code to get things going.

The doors not working properly seems to me that it is not the battery but possibly a dose of WD40 might solve the problem.

Try that first before getting your wallet out!

Regards,

Peter.

If all was ok prior to the change then the battery has to be suspect. Rarely are new batteries supplied fully charged so an overnight charge will give you a known starting point.

🙂

Hi Roy any luck ? 
I’m having same issue where car wasn’tf used much due to lockdown routines and yesterday I was deep cleaning inside out without stripping anything.. when I tried to lock both of my rear door failed to lock ! Got me thinking simmering to do with battery losing power etc ? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi

On the s-type one of the rear doors is wired parallel to passenger front door

so if passenger door is working so should one of the rears, odds are rears have seized and failed at same time

you need to check your getting voltage to rear door central locking motors, would be first thing to check

if you getting voltage, then lots of wd40 can free them off,

if you need wiring diagrams look here http://www.jagrepair.com/

As for the XF there a completely different animal, but would start with the basics, like checking a the rear door locks for voltages, if you need wiring diagram PM me

cheers

Joe

ScreenShot193.thumb.jpg.5f341464de7b7b7b677282f14739c9cf.jpg

ScreenShot198.thumb.jpg.ec1ba067ac9d08ba94489c55f13751fd.jpg

Thanks to Joe and Hash for replies.

I have now discovered by accident (and this is a change from pre new battery), that I have to press  'lock' on the key fob twice to lock both the front doors then the rear doors.  Likewise, I have to press 'lock' on the key fob twice to unlock both the front and rear doors.  The pattern seems to be:  press once to lock the front doors, then press again and to lock the rear doors.  Very strange!

As I say above this is a change from before I had the new battery put in.  In fact. its a sudden change since the car was new.  Before I only needed to press either lock and unlock once on the key fob to lock and unlock all the doors.

Hash - don't know if this helps you or not.  Before I replaced the battery. I did notice that I sometimes had to press the key fob several times to get the doors to open and also that the auto seat position set in the key fob didn't work as well as it used to.

At least I now know how to lock and unlock the doors!

Thanks again to everyone for your help and ideas.

Roy

Thank Roy and Joe for your replies - I gave my car a good one hour run on motorway today in nice sunshine to charge the battery - will be doing more frequent drives to prevent it from getting dead. 
no luck with the door locks though - I have Noticed the need to press unlock button sometimes 1 or 2 times to unlock front doors but still rear doors doesn’t work .. 

when hitting lock button on fob - the lock knob moved just slightly but not as much as to lock it fully .. so leaving me with only option of doing it manually 😔😔😔.. 

read another post where some guys got the software reboot to fix these doors issues - I’m just too scared to try rebooting software (touching negative terminal to positive ) just to prevent messing Up with any other electricals.. 

don’t know what to do .. may be I should get door locks changed !! 

Edited by Aqua26
Typo correction

Hash,

I wonder if the battery in the fob might need replacing.  I've had to replace the battery in my fobs several times over the years when they stopped working.  The symptom was that I had to press the buttons several times and stand very close to the car to work.  You can change the battery yourself.

Do you have spare fob to try?  Does it do the same thing?

I didn't know the software could be reset without having the garage do it.  Would you send me the link on how to reset the software please.