Low battery warning

JohnG

Hi I have just purchased my second Jag XF 2.2 very pleased.

The problem I am having is that the low battery warning display comes up with just the ignition on but the batteries test OK has anyone else had this problem

low bat.jpg

Perfectly normal John. You will also find that if you play the radio without the engine running it will shutdown after 10min. These cars are power hungry and they don’t like low voltages.

• 3 months later...

I've had my '64 plate XF-S 3.0D for just over a year now, and I have been getting this error virtually from the start. Apart from not being able to listen to the sound system without the engine running, it also seems to disable the Eco Start/Stop as well. In the early part of this year, when I might go for 10 days without using the car, this happened all the time. Since November, however, when I started to use the car every day, the Start/Stop has started working again. I bought a cheap bluetooth battery monitor, and previously, the voltage would drop to just below 12 (typically 11.85V), but rapidly rise to 12.8V after a short run. The car has never failed to start, and the only reason I haven't changed it is because of conflicting reports as to how the car would respond to a battery disconnection - I've just let sleeping dogs lie!

So, on balance, as long as the car starts, I would leave well alone, unless you need to listen to sounds whilst waiting with the engine off...

Incidentally, I started a thread yesterday regarding 'Take me home' which you have - just wondering how to get that option on mine - any help would be appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I have a 2011 XF 2.2 190. A few weeks back,I noticed all the windows down (global opening) whilst the car was parked outside my house. The fob was on the kitchen table. A week or so later,I get a SMART key BATTERY LOW warning on the dash. I change the battery,twice,and now the fob isn't working. Car has done very few miles recently, I'm hoping that a good run with amend things. Smart key still works when plugged in. Anybody any similar experiences?

Edited by Fuz

• 2 months later...

HI everyone,

I have recently the same problem with the low battery warning coming up every time I started the car (2014 XFS Portfolio), which eventually turned into a NOT CHARGING warning. I had my local garage check it out and ended up having a new alternator fitted and both large and small batteries changed. This was only a few weeks ago and despite the NOT CHARGING warning going away, I have still had the low battery warning which I have put down to not having done any long runs. Last weekend I did a 180 ish mile motorway trip but still have the low battery warning when starting the car. I've also noticed that the AC isn't blowing cold - possible low power issue?

This morning the NO CHARGING warning has come back. I know I need to go back to the garage with it but wonder if they might not have missed something here, maybe the battery monitor unit?

Anyone had the same problems and managed to solve it?

Thanks

Steve

• 8 months later...

I have had a low battery warning coming up for a few weeks, but does not show issues with charging, one of the annoying things is when you return home and switch off the engine and go to the boot and press the button to raise the boot it opens, but does not raise,  I have to start the engine again, surely this isn't normal?

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone

I have just joined the ranks of the Jaguar owners as I have just recently purchased a 2014 XF Luxury model.    Very pleased so far, but I have this low warning battery message and switch off in 3 minutes.   I have ignored it and the car starts fine.    I took it to a Jaguar garage where they said it was most likely due to the car being on the forecourt for some time.   They suggested I put the battery on a smart charger which I did for about 20 hours.   The reading was fully charged.    I then went to start the car and... yes you guessed, I got still got the 'battery 3 minute warning'.     This problem seems to be aired on so many forums, there must be an explanation and solution.

I've also been told that to update the internal GPS it will cost £169 and to make sure I had plenty of diesel in the car as they would have to keep the engine running to effect the update via the USB.   Does this sound right?

Roboman 

13 hours ago, Roboman said:

I've also been told that to update the internal GPS it will cost £169 and to make sure I had plenty of diesel in the car as they would have to keep the engine running to effect the update via the USB.   Does this sound right?

I think it is a precautionary measure as it takes a while to update and can sometimes get corrupted if its stopped. Others on here that have upgraded will have a better view.

3 minute battery warning is a "feature" 🤣 if you have checked both batteries (if your car has 2) and the alternator is good and you use regularly, would not overly worry

I have this message come up often. I only use the car once a week and the car is fitted with the original JLR battery (4 years old). I had the battery tested and it reports 67% healthy. The engine turns over with no problems but the auto stop/start needs the battery charge to be at least 80 per cent. I will hold off from getting a new battery until late Autumn (before the cold weather strikes).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Michael Bunce said:

I have this message come up often. I only use the car once a week and the car is fitted with the original JLR battery (4 years old). I had the battery tested and it reports 67% healthy. The engine turns over with no problems but the auto stop/start needs the battery charge to be at least 80 per cent. I will hold off from getting a new battery until late Autumn (before the cold weather strikes).

Hi

The XF is very unforgiving of low voltage and it can cause corruption of the many computers which would cost a lot more to fix than a battery replacement.

If I were you I would change the battery now or get a CTek charger to keep the battery topped-up until you do change it. Failing that, at least make sure you do a good hours drive when you do use it.

John

3 hours ago, Big John said:

Hi

The XF is very unforgiving of low voltage and it can cause corruption of the many computers which would cost a lot more to fix than a battery replacement.

If I were you I would change the battery now or get a CTek charger to keep the battery topped-up until you do change it. Failing that, at least make sure you do a good hours drive when you do use it.

John

I think Jaguar in general is "very unforgiving of low voltage."  My S-Type needs regular use of my CTEK MS 7 to keep it electrically fit. One of the best investments I have made in looking after my S-Type, especially for the relatively low cost. I put mine on charge at anytime when I know it is not going to be used for a couple of days. If it is used daily it still gets put on at least twice a month.

Best Wishes and Regards, John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions.  As the car was still in a three months warranty, I got the garage to check the battery.  They agreed to fit a new one and, so far, everything seems ok.

Once again, many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

1 hour ago, Roboman said:

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions.  As the car was still in a three months warranty, I got the garage to check the battery.  They agreed to fit a new one and, so far, everything seems ok.

Once again, many thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

Roger

Even with a new battery, which is good news that the seller replaced it, you should still consider buying a CTEK to keep the battery in good condition. Jaguars are notorious for battery drain.

Best Wishes, John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/25/2022 at 10:54 AM, Wrinkly said:

Roger

Even with a new battery, which is good news that the seller replaced it, you should still consider buying a CTEK to keep the battery in good condition. Jaguars are notorious for battery drain.

Best Wishes, John

Thanks, John.

Can you recommend a suitable CTEK?

Roger

4 minutes ago, Jimbov8 said:

For your car the CTEK 7 would be ample to keep the battery healthy.

Absolutely correct, Jim.  I have had one for four years and even put a connection on the wall just outside the garage.

Peter.

3 hours ago, Jimbov8 said:

For your car the CTEK 7 would be ample to keep the battery healthy.

Totally concur, |my CTEK ms7, keeps even my power hungry S-Type in tip top condition.

Regards, John

• 5 months later...

I was informed by the dealer that you must connect the 12v charger to earth not negative terminal, also positive terminal of course. There is a current measuring device in the Neg lead and perhaps the low battery indication is because the computer has not registered that the battery is being charged.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

HI SIR I NEED A HELP FOR MY Jaguar XF 250.SIR IN THIS VEHICLE FULLY BATTERY DEAD AFTER THAT NOT STARTING , NO CRANKING,NO IGNITION ON .I TRY TO RUN ALL MODULES WITH SDD. BUT SOME ERROR MESSAGES COMING. I ATTACH A PHOTO HERE. THANK YOU

WhatsApp Image 2023-03-20 at 22.21.26.jpg