double beep on unlocking

Taurian

Hi guys

Over the last 2 days, when I unlock the car either with the fob of door handle I get 2 beeps. when it locks and the mirrors fold in.   Clearly the car is telling me that something is not quite right.  Anyone else experienced this problem and. if so ,how did you fix it  ?

Hopefully not related but last year I started to get 2 beeps on locking and the mirrors would not fold in.   I took it back to the main dealer as it was still under warranty and they found a problem with the two  front door locks and they were both replaced. 

Hi Ian,

This may not be what you're looking for, but here goes...

I've had the "double beep" issue a few times...

• Twice when the keyfob battery needed changing
  • A few when the key (in my pocket) was 'hiding' behind something else metallic (normally the battery of my vape).

Both (especially the second) were easily resolved. If they don't apply in your case - sorry, but thought I'd chip in (although I now live in Sussex, we Essex peeps need to stick together!).

Cheers,
Jon

There’s something wrong with one of your door locks

If you have passive unlocking, lock your doors normally (get the double beep) put your fob at least 5 metres away and try all your doors and boot. The one that opens is the faulty lock

Be prepared for the alarm going off...

Thanks for the suggestion Victor.  I've just tried it and all the doors and boot remain locked , so it looks like there must be another type of fault.  I'll phone the main dealer on Monday and see what they say.     I was rather hoping it would have been one of the front door locks as they were  both replaced a few months ago and would probably still be under guarantee.

2 hours ago, Jon Hyde said:

Hi Ian,

This may not be what you're looking for, but here goes...

I've had the "double beep" issue a few times...

• Twice when the keyfob battery needed changing
  • A few when the key (in my pocket) was 'hiding' behind something else metallic (normally the battery of my vape).

Both (especially the second) were easily resolved. If they don't apply in your case - sorry, but thought I'd chip in (although I now live in Sussex, we Essex peeps need to stick together!).

Cheers,
Jon

Thanks Jon,

I know it isn't the fob battery because I only replaced it 2 weeks ago ( got a message on the dash telling me the fob battery was low)

Pretty sure its nothing to do with the key hiding behind anything in my pocket as i get the double beep when I open the car with the fob or the door handle .

Strangely it doesn't happen when I open the boot manually though.

I'm sure you are right Victor. I'm  a bit annoyed that  having both front locks replaced under warranty a few month ago I should have this problem again.  If its one of the front locks, I'm sure there must be some sort of guarantee on them but I will still have to take car to the main dealer I bought it from to find out.     If its one of the rear locks would i  be able to change it myself I wonder.  As I said earlier, I will phone the dealer tomorrow and see that they say.

Just as an update, I had arranged for the dealer to have a look at the car next Tuesday to identify the problem.   Today though the problem seems to have disappeared  - very strange.

If it continues to behave itself between now and the weekend, I will cancel my visit to the dealer. 

Whilst I was speaking to the service manager, I asked him how much it would cost  to supply and fit a new lock - about £460 said he.    

That ain't going to happen !!!    I'd sooner put up with the beep than spend anywhere near that figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm sorry to say that the double beep on door opening is back.  

Does anyone know if the  £20 - 30  code readers  that are freely available on the likes of eBay will  tell me which door lock (if any ) is causing the problem ?

Hi

Can I check that the double beep is on Locking?: "Over the last 2 days, when I unlock the car either with the fob of door handle I get 2 beeps. when it locks and the mirrors fold in"

Just a thought but have you tried to open the fuel filler when car is locked as this is part of the locking process so could be the flap lock?

Regards

John

Hi John

Just to be clear, I get the 2 beeps on unlocking, either by handle or fob.   When I double lock the car I get 1 beep  which is what it should be.  

I have just check the fuel flap and that is correctly locked with the rest of the car,   so the mystery continues.   Interestingly I do not get the beeps when I open the boot.

I have been reading some other forums recently and it appears the 2 beeps on unlocking is not uncommon but nobody has come up with a  single definitive reason why this happens.

I am going to have to go back to the main dealer so they can run their OBD reader over the car to establish the problem.  

Regards

Ian 

"The X250 central locking switches are located above the center console. The buttons lock and unlock all doors and the trunk. The switches are non-latching and allow all the vehicle entry points to be centrally locked or unlocked from inside the vehicle. Pressing and holding the buttons will operate the global open/close function. The windows and sunroof will stop opening if the button is released. When the central lock or unlock switch is pressed, a ground is connected to the CJB sending a signal to the lock or unlock motors in the door and trunk latches. The doors and trunk will only respond to the central lock/ unlock command when they are fully closed. If a door is ajar the central locking feature is inhibited. The operator will be notified of a ‘mislock’ by two audible chirps and a light flash. "

The above is from the original American Technicians Training manual from 2008. It seems to me to say that the "double beep" indicates the CJB has not recieved confirmation of lock position from one of the door modules when you are unlocking so announces a "mislock" even though the car was locked, so maybe the catch is slightly sticking but only being noted as incorrect on unlock. Have you tried repeatedly locking/ double-locking and unlocking to see if it maybe "shakes" something into place, or even slaming the doors before applying the central locking?

Regards

John

.....or If I had looked in my handbook first:

"Page 15

Sensor Fault.

If the security systems detect a fault with one of the security sensors, 2 error tones will sound from the alarm after the vehicle is unlocked and disarmed."

.....so you could try disabling sensors from the security settings on the touch screenbefore arming and see if that makes a difference......

John

Hi John, thanks for your suggestions.   There is a facility to disable the alarm sensors via the touch screen, but in so doing you get a warning message flash up to refer to the hand book.  I don't  really want to keep clearing the warning message  every time i start the car plus I'm not sure if I'm comfortable disabling any alarm sensors anyway.   I think a dealer visit is my only option,  apart from putting up with the beeps that is.   Appreciate you trying to help.

PS. I did try locking , unlocking and slamming the doors but that didn't  do anything apart from soliciting strange looks from passers by !!

Regards

Ian

Hi Ian

It says in the handbook that it will reset after next start. I was just suggesting turning them off one at a time before locking / unlocking to see if it cured the "mislock" warning to identify which sensor may be at fault.

Hope you get it sorted 🙂

Regards

John

• 3 months later...

morning everyone, im a technician at jlr and have had this problem this morning, vehicle double beeps when unlocked, no fault codes and all latches work as they should.

carried out an update on the gateway module and it has fixed the problem.

checked at least ten times over about 15 mins and worked everytime without the beep beep

hope this helps

That's useful info Andy.  Would a Jag indy be able to do the update  the gateway module or does the car have to go to a main dealer ?   Since reporting this back in September last year, I have found that the double beep doesn't happen all the time  - in fact it can be weeks before re appearing,  so I would now class it as an intermittent fault.