Updating the SatNav

RioTao

Hi all

A new member here. I purchased my 61 plate XF Luxury in August 2019 and have been delighted with it. My question is hopefully fairly simple ... I have searched everywhere in the boot for a CD unit containing the SatNav CD and can't find one anywhere, there is only one removable felt panel on the right hand side which houses a fuse box. I am wondering if it is therefore a USB method of updating on this model? There are a couple of USB sockets on the central console between the two front seats, located in the lift up arm rest compartment, one of them is coloured blue and is labelled iPod and the other is white. I have a memory stick with music tracks plugged into one of them (I can't remember which off the top of my head) and that all works fine. Would it be one of these sockets I need to insert the SatNav update USB into and will the entertainment system automatically recognise it and begin the update process? Also, where would be the cheapest place to download the latest maps from for me to transfer to a formatted USB stick? Thanks in advance.

This topic has come up a few times on the forum so do a search and see if you can find the thread.   As i recall, if you order an update from Jaguar you will need to arrange a new mortgage.  There are quite a few  people selling updates on the likes of eBay,  but seem to remember someone  saying that it took forever to download  and was not as satisfactory  an experience as was hoped for.     Would be interested  to know if you do manage to resolve the update and look forward to hearing from you  in the future.  Good luck.

Update ... all the threads relating to this are old ones relating to a few years back, can't find anything recent stating whether they eventually released a more stable update ...

• 2 weeks later...

“I've justbought a 2016 XF and there are no updates for the sat nav which ae 2015 maps. I have contacted Jaguar and they are looking into this. I will keep you updated.“

I find this a bit odd, I bought a 2014 year model XF last year. I found that it had the original installed maps from 2013.

I ordered what was (last year) the latest available maps which was 2018. It was supplied on a usb stick.
As mentioned earlier it was expensive, and it took forever to load.
The paperwork supplied with it said it would take 3+hrs to complete. 

Hi Omen,

Jaguar are still looking into this but they seem to be struggling to work out what the problem is. They suggested thart a Q4 2018 update should be available but that would still be at least 2 years out of date. Out of interest, what is the cost of the update? At the moment I'm leaning towards a £100 sat nav from Currys that gives free lifetime map updates 4 times a year.

Regards

Paul

Interesting to read your comments ... they just tend to reaffirm my thoughts regarding leaving mine well alone and use Google Maps on my phone if I come across an unlisted address.

Hi Paul,

The cost was  £175 Give or take a couple of £.

I spent a winters evening driving around loading it. So it probably was as you say a Q4 version. 
The updates don’t seem to be as up to date as commercially available sat navs.
I am reluctant to use google maps in case some nosey copper spies me touching the phone 🤔

Have just checked there is a 2020 version available covering Europe for £169.

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/owners/incontrol/map-updates.html

Hi Charles,

I have a portable sat nav which is usually in the Mercedes as that is so old it predates everything we are

becoming used to now. It has some odd thing called an ignition key ???

Hi Damian

I've never heard of an ignition key, must be something foreign I guess hah! Google Maps are pretty safe really, well, as safe as anything can be these days and at least they are constantly being updated and totally free to use.

• Haha 1

Just picked up a 2018 XF and struggling with map updates.

User manual says USB stick needed, website takes you to Incontrol app which requires SD card supplied with vehicle (there wasn’t), in car update won’t work due no SIM card. 

Any advice appreciated 

Hi all,

Jaguar say that there is an update for my car when they looked at the file I sent them and I should uninstall the InControl app, then reinstall it and send them all the info with screenshots etc. I did all that and got the "No updates available" message again, then instead of selecting 'Map Updates' on the InControl app, I selected 'Buy Updates/Redeem Voucher' button and that found an update for Europe & Russia for £97. The problems for me are

1. there is no date shown on the update to tell you how recent the maps are

2.any country in Europe could have been updated for this update, not necessarily the UK

3 If the UK map has been updated, why doesn't it show up when it checks what version is on my SD card?

I have asked these questions today, when I get a reply, I will update you all.

On the plus side, I didn't think £97 was bad considering I paid £150 for an update to my Vauxhall Insignia about 3 years ago.

On the Minus side for Jaguar, I can buy a Garmin for about £100 that gives free lifetime maps, 4 times a year, free lifetime speed cameras and live traffic through a smartphone. For how much I use the sat nav, it's a serious consideration.

Stay safe

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Update from Jaguar,

When you click 'Map Update' on the app, this only checks if there are any free updates available, clicking the 'Buy Updates' shows you any updates available and the cost. The current map on my SD card is 2014 Q1, the update available is 2018 Q4, we are now in 2020 Q4 which means if I buy the update it's still at least 2 years out of date. I have asked Jaguar if a new update is in the pipeline and how often they release new updates. I will update you all with the reply when it comes. This has been ongoing for a couple of months and I'm leaning towards a Garmin for £100 that gives free lifetime map updates 4 times a year, free speed cameras andlive traffic through your smartphone.

Loving the car, not loving the after sales service.

Stay safe folks

On 11/2/2020 at 7:36 AM, Glynhj said:

Just picked up a 2018 XF and struggling with map updates.

User manual says USB stick needed, website takes you to Incontrol app which requires SD card supplied with vehicle (there wasn’t), in car update won’t work due no SIM card. 

Any advice appreciated 

Update....

Had to take the car in for window repair (drivers failing to close properly).

While it was in, they updated the map 🙂

To get Live updates I'll need a data microsim (on phone contract). Questions:

1. What size (monthly GB) will be good enough?

2. Given I'll have to pay for the sim plus Incontol app every 3 years, is it worth even bothering or should I just use my phone?

Thanks

• Thanks 1

I have a 2020 XF with live and I still had to use a USB stick to update the map as it was 36 bg.

the SIM card is good as I can start the car up in the morning to warm it up.  And a couple of others features but I would pay for a sim just for things I will hardly use. Don’t Jaguar do a sim connect package?

my sim was supplied by Jaguar with a 10 year package 

Thanks Tom,

I bought mine through approved, 2 years old, I guess the first owner kept the sim card. The dealership told me I'd need to get a sim only data contract with one of the networks to get the live updates.

Interesting about the USB, I've not seen that option on the website. Though, for now at least, the maps are up to date.

Cheers

I don't really agree that 2018 Q4 latest revision is 'up to date' and nobody has ever suggested that I need a sim card for anything. I've given up on a suitable solution from Jaguar and bought a second hand, used twice Garmin fo £60. For what I use it, that will be fine.

Stay safe

Paul

Hi I have just registered with this site principally to find out about updating satnav sand it amuses me to find that this is the first topic I come to. I own a 2005 xtype and my satnav leads to to a place in the Netherlands called Here. I reluctantly forked out £170 for an update.  I admit to being naive that it said 2011/12 and at that price thought it would not relate to how up to date it was.  Naturally I am in the process of returning the product but I am still surprised that a company is selling such a product at such a price.

”fools rush in...”. I’m not hopeful but if anyone knows of how to get a more up to date disc without being fleased I like to know 

5 hours ago, Glynhj said:

Thanks Tom,

I bought mine through approved, 2 years old, I guess the first owner kept the sim card. The dealership told me I'd need to get a sim only data contract with one of the networks to get the live updates.

Interesting about the USB, I've not seen that option on the website. Though, for now at least, the maps are up to date.

Cheers

http://www.three.co.uk/datareward?id=1681&awc=10210_1605357094_c40e1ed3af1dcbd491b6f98f181047d4&aidset=1

this sim is £5 with one gig of data and then you get 200mb a month free. And can top up as required. I think 200mb is all you get with Jaguar so may be worth a look

Update, also had a look in my car the sim is Ubigi it says that you can get there sim from the Jaguar dealer on line. Looks like they only last 3 years. And then £98 a month afterwards. Personally probably get something like the three sim when it’s done just so I can use the car’s features.

D91855CF-815F-4318-ADD9-135E5A4BE583.png

B50D5F41-8364-41CA-AF25-87B635316978.jpeg

22 hours ago, Paul Bolton said:

I don't really agree that 2018 Q4 latest revision is 'up to date' and nobody has ever suggested that I need a sim card for anything. I've given up on a suitable solution from Jaguar and bought a second hand, used twice Garmin fo £60. For what I use it, that will be fine.

Stay safe

Paul

Hi Paul yes Jaguar has not been very helpful as there is a 2020 update for my dads 2015 XF so can’t imagine there wouldn’t be for yours.

you can find them here. I had to download an update and put it on a memory stick for my 2020 XF as well to add latest maps 

https://jaguar.navigation.com/home/en_GB/JaguarEMEA/GBP