Chris Neil

I have put a deposit on an XK 150 convertible 55 plate with 62k on and a full JSH  to scratch an itch I have had for a few years. It has a great service history having been owned for 7 years by an JEC owner and I have looked at the car in some detail and test driven.

Can I ask  a couple of questions 

Maintenance

Are maintenance costs as high as some suggest ? ( I appreciate they will be higher than average but have seen some horror stories)

Over winter storage

I am picking it up in a week or so when I will probably have a few local runs then store over winter until spring. Are there any specific recommendation or suggestions that people do when they put them away for winter?

Water in boot

I did find water in the boot and it was suggested this was because it had just been jet washed which did not convince me 100%

Is there a common issue with water ingress into the boot and if so should I be concerned or is there a known issue and fix ?

I feel I have done as much as possible to check the car over and as I said,  the service history is impeccable but are there any specific things I should look for before I pay final amount and collect the vehicle?

Thanking you in anticipation

Chris

Hi Chris,

As you’re in God’s county, Chris Isles at Doncaster is the guy you want for servicing. Very friendly, knowledgeable and reasonable prices.

I drive mine throughout winter unless there is snow on the roads however, 3 things if you want to take it off the road, pump the tyres to around 45psi, will help stop flat spots. Fill the tank with fresh fuel and get yourself a CTEK charger/maintainer.

As for water in the boot, I personally have not heard of anyone with this problem on an XK so worth check the seals around the boot and lights.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Can anyone tell me , is the width of a 55 plate XK convertible quoted in specs when the door mirrors are extended or without?

If anyone knows the full width with mirrors out could you please let me know, ( just buying an XK and checking if it will fit in my garage

Chris    

Apologies for posting her but could not figure out how to generate new post

Thanks Jim

It is an XK not an XK 8 and I am led to believe it was built in December 2005 and registered early 200ing number 85 off the production line....

Its going to be a bit of a squeeze but it will fit..... just

Hi Chris,

You have had some excellent information from Jim.

I was thinking a bit about the garage and the problems I have had.  My garage is not perfectly angled, as I have found out after 30 years. It is also 20 feet long but was not wide enough for my Rover Sterling , so I gave up, and wife's Toyota Yaris lives there now!  I didn't even bother with my s type.

Regards, 

Peter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership