74 Xj6L series 2 4.2L

Karl S.

Hello everyone:

Im pretty new to mechanics especially to the sweet Jaguar. I got myself my dream car. Shes a beauty, got really lucky with her, however she sat for 27 years. Does anyone have any idea where i need to start to gaurentee she is rode worthy? I am thinking about starting with the fuel tanks and make sure they are free of rust and maybe put in some sorta coating inside the tank to help with future risting. Does that sound like a good start? Please any advise would be helpful. Thank you so much in advance.

From what the fellas that dropped her off says, she starts and runs. They i guess decided to try it without my consent, out a new battery in her and drover it from the shop it was in onto the flatbed. (I was so furious) So i know she runs i just dont think its a good idea to run it with crud in the tanks.

Thank you again 

Karl S.

O one other thing i forgot to mention where in the world is the VIN number located? Its not in the drivers side window thats an 11 digit number. Inside the door panel has the plate on it buts its so worn its impossible to read anything on it except a couple words

3 hours ago, Jaguar Owners Club said:

The VIN is usually stamped on the bulkhead in the engine bay (also believe there should be a plate there aswell?)

3 hours ago, Jaguar Owners Club said:

The VIN is usually stamped on the bulkhead in the engine bay (also believe there should be a plate there aswell?)

sorry for all the words I just dont know how else to say it without being able to send photos of what i have found I'm documenting everything and again thank you for reading and offering your help i need all i can get. I've learned already that without the VIN number your kinda dead in the water so to speak hope to hear back from you with more advise if ya got any to spare thank.        Karl S.

I did look around that area per friends suggestion only thing I found was 8L10498-L down there I didn't look way down in there but I'll take a look later.  Thank you very much.

Karl S.

Just now, Karl S. said:

I did look around that area per friends suggestion only thing I found was 8L10498-L down there I didn't look way down in there but I'll take a look later.  Thank you very much.

Karl S.

I did find something today under the hood on the drivers fender it was under I think it's the pump for the wiper fluid but didnt follow the wires to far was looking for the vin number. However I found a plate under the pump and it read on to "Ue2T53166BW and 8L10497-L", and then on the bottom it read "5T10910 and 015/26078". Not sure if it's a parts number or what the deal is here. I'm awfully confused. Been looking for 2 days now and tomorrow is the good ole fashion third time is a charm.  Thank you again for your assistance hope to hear from ya again soon.

Karl S.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you! I apparently have found the vin number now I'm having a hard time getting thru to the uk office so that I can verify previous owners and records for my jag. If anyone knows a way to get information thru my vin number I would love it if someone could point me in the right direction? I have called the archives office and tried to get ahold of someone named Fred Hammond. Apparently they never are in the office. I've tried to email, fax ,and call the Jaguar heritage trust people. Emailed them sent a fax and have even called and I got no answer no reply back of any kind. Am I calling the wrong people? Should I wait another 2 weeks and see if they reply? I'm at a total brick wall with out talking to them and getting information from them. Some places wont even let me order parts well original parts with out the title which has been lost in time. I dont know I'm confused never done this before let alone ever worked on a car by myself. So any advise in the right direction would be extremely helpful. Thank you everyone for reading this and any help is exactly that helpful. Again thank you very much.

Sincerely 

Karl S.

16 hours ago, Karl S. said:

Thank you! I apparently have found the vin number now I'm having a hard time getting thru to the uk office so that I can verify previous owners and records for my jag. If anyone knows a way to get information thru my vin number I would love it if someone could point me in the right direction? I have called the archives office and tried to get ahold of someone named Fred Hammond. Apparently they never are in the office. I've tried to email, fax ,and call the jaguar heritage trust people. Emailed them sent a fax and have even called and I got no answer no reply back of any kind. Am I calling the wrong people? Should I wait another 2 weeks and see if they reply? I'm at a total brick wall with out talking to them and getting information from them. Some places wont even let me order parts well original parts with out the title which has been lost in time. I dont know I'm confused never done this before let alone ever worked on a car by myself. So any advise in the right direction would be extremely helpful. Thank you everyone for reading this and any help is exactly that helpful. Again thank you very much.

Sincerely 

Karl S.

Either no one knows how I can take off my fuel or I'm not cool enough I just want to restore this car in my father's honor as well as myself I cant get theu heritage trust they are not taking my faxes or my calls or my emails or my luck no one gets in here enough to b able to answer my questions I'm literally stuck in the middle if this project because I cant get any answers from anyone I have 2 new tanks now but still cant get the first tank off I've watched videos no mechanic I talk to will even look at the car at all and tell me good luck please help me someone I'm desperate