Battery Charging

LostBloke

Hello. I just bought this car, and have read about needing to keep the battery charged when not used for some time. The handbook says not to charge the battery while connected, I've heard that there is a trickle charger that you can use on battery while connected. Is this true, and if so, is it a special make of charger ?

Thanks for any advice in advance,

Regards

LB

Hi Philip

I use this one: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Start-40-106-Battery-Charger/dp/B00YBR8PFK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1P2BOBHUTT6JG&dchild=1&keywords=ctek+stop+start+battery+charger&qid=1615229884&quartzVehicle=29-10519&replacementKeywords=ctek+stop+start+battery&sprefix=ctek+stop%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-1 along with a Ctek panel which has an LED indication of battery state which is permenantly wired in the boot.

Jaguar do actually do a Jag branded version of the Ctek. I keep my charger in the boot, connect it to the panel when I want to charge and just close the boot (Sportbrake) on the mains cable which then goes to a waterproof plug.

I would strongly recommend the use of a Ctek especially if you are not doing regular long journeys.

Hope that helps

John

Hi Phlllip,

I agree with John.  I have had a CTEK for 3 years which is permanently connected to the battery in the boot. I have an electric connection just outside the garage and charge my battery once a  week --  this lockdown is stopping me having a long drive every week.

The CTEK is not that expensive.

Us Lancastrians would rather be drowned than done!

Peter. 

Do not discount the Optimate 6 chrager

Did I read somewhere that you should connect the positive lead to the terminal but the negative needs to be connected to metalwork and not the negative terminal as it can affect the BMS module.

Hi Paul,

I have never come across about connecting the negative lead to the metalwork, although in my wife's Toyota Yaris Hybrid you have to do that as the battery [not the big one] is under the rear seat with the big one.

The S

type battery negative terminal is attached to the metalwork.

Peter.

Thanks for all the replies.

Is there only one version of CTEK charger as I've seen them at various prices? 

I also read that the charger should not be connected to both terminals the negative should be at least a meter away from the battery, is this true, and if so, is there a handy connection point?

Phil

Hi Phil,

I don't think the negative should be 3'4inches away.  [I don't like foreign measures].

When you get a Ctek  --  I have a Ctek 5  Lead Acid charger -- you will find that you also get terminal connections and a battery reader which tells you the condition of your battery.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi

My understanding is that the supply from the negative side of the charger should NOT be connected directly to the battery terminal. On the XF the Battery Monitoring System Module is integrated into the earth lead at the terminal. If you connect the charger directly to the negative battery terminal there is no "flow" through the BMS when charging from the ctek so the car does not "know" the correct state of charge. The CT5 (S/S) instructions say to connect the negative to chassis (which is what you would do if jump starting. https://www.ctek.com/storage/BB1B5B957F380A58AA7DC41C3D76EDDAE9ABFB3DBBF332368F7ED9E677205D60/7ee76813a1594b14ab69bb0d34ebdb8c/pdf/media/d32b8d87593840368e1c79dac6384cab/CT5_START_STOP-productsheet-low-UK-EN.pdf

I have mine hooked up through the "comfort panel" with the positive connected to the battery terminal via a fused connection and the negative to earth through the chassis. I then have the cable run through the gap at the side of the spare wheel cover so the connector "panel" just sits at the side of the boot peeking out from the OEM Jag rubber boot liner 🙂

There are several alternatives available, but I like the Ctek CT5 Stop/Start because of its simplicity and the fact it is designed for AGM batteries. If considering an alternative the key things to look for are that it is not just a charger but a "maintainer" and can be left attached without risk of over-charging, and it is capable of working with AGM batteries. This requirement usually means a separate "mode". If you have other vehicles with normal wet cell batteries you should consider something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-0-Reconditions-Motorcycle/dp/B00FC42HAA/ref=sr_1_5?ascsubtag=1ba00-01000-org00-win10-dsk00-nomod-uk000-gatwy-feature-SEARC&dchild=1&keywords=ctek+battery+charger&qid=1615294510&quartzVehicle=29-10519&replacementKeywords=ctek+battery&sr=8-5 which is also very good. Being a gadget freak I have both 🙂

Regards

John

Hi Philip,

Firstly, welcome to the group!

Secondly, I also have a 2011 XF 3.0 (S Portfolio).

Thirdly, with no doubt whatsoever, it's the best car I've ever had, best car I've ever driven regularly (can't count the track day in a Lamborghini!)

As for battery issues...

I've had my XF for about 3 years now.  Became worried about the battery quite early on (not sure why, but it seemed like a 'peace of mind thing'), so had it replaced. Since then, in the early days, it had lots of long runs - from Sussex to Manchester and regularly across to Ireland. When retirement & lockdown hit, all that stopped, so only occasional local shopping trips. But apart from the warning message to turn off the stereo when parked, waiting for SWMBO in the Waitrose carpark, the battery hasn't given me any cause for concern. (Hope that isn't inviting retribution!!!).

I've often thought about some kind of trickle charger, but also feel that if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! I hope this doesn't come back to bite me.

Enjoy your XF!

Cheers,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated.

Yes, I think I'm trying to fix a problem that, at the moment, doesn't exist. I'm so pleased with the car that I don't want anything to spoil the fun. Like you, all I'm doing is going to the supermarket once a week, I'm looking forward to the relaxation of restrictions because the Boss and I want to do a couple of weeks touring. 

Regards

Phil

• 2 years later...