XE buying advice please.

Harry Flatters

Considering used XE.  don't do than many miles these days so petrol preferred.  Open to all models but still ageing 'petrol head' so P250 engined models appear to be 'the one' to go for!  For the life of me, I can't work out which models do or don't come with gear shift paddles.  Current car has them and I really would like them again!  Can all you Jag experts out there point me in the right direction as to which modes have this feature please?  Any other advice very much welcomed.  Thank you in advance.

An interesting question - my 2017 R-Sport P250 had them as a standard feature but my newer HSE purchased in 2019 did not.  Unsure whether they were a chargeable option then but they are now a £200 option across the range.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this @ChrisC really useful info.  My budget might allow for a 2017 or '18 R-Sport P250 so I might be lucky!  (assuming swmbo as 'management' is not working to a very different and much reduced budget!!😍) Interesting that they should now be a chargeable option and inexpensive by Jaguar 'options'!  Any other views, comments or observations on the 'marque' would be welcomed as would any points or weakness I might look out for.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same situation, will be buying used (probably a 2017 or 18 model, petrol, 250HP hopefully) but there are a few things I can't fathom that some models seem to have and some don't, in partcular, folding mirrors and folding rear seats. 

Also I've seen a few videos, just a few, that have a CD player slot above the heating controls, but none of the models list it in the spec so I'm a little confused - some of us do still use CDs and I have a collections of 1000s. 

3 minutes ago, Coolcity said:

I'm in the same situation, will be buying used (probably a 2017 or 18 model, petrol, 250HP hopefully) but there are a few things I can't fathom that some models seem to have and some don't, in partcular, folding mirrors and folding rear seats. 

Also I've seen a few videos, just a few, that have a CD player slot above the heating controls, but none of the models list it in the spec so I'm a little confused - some of us do still use CDs and I have a collections of 1000s. 

For the 2017 model the split rear seat was a £420 option and the powerfold mirrors was a £295 option.  I cannot remember a CD player slot in mine (I have a 2020 model now).

3 hours ago, ChrisC said:

For the 2017 model the split rear seat was a £420 option and the powerfold mirrors was a £295 option.  I cannot remember a CD player slot in mine (I have a 2020 model now).

Thanks, much appreciated. I've probably got a hundred more questions yet, I do a lot of research when I buy a car as I'm not one for changing them regularly. 

Seems odd that a car marketed at this level would place folding mirrors as an option. I've never understood that a manufacturer fighting for a piece of a very competitive market would not throw in everything they possibly could, and at least the main things that buyers might expect, and they surely can't cost very much to fit them at the factory, say £50 or so? Even if they add the £50 on to the price. It's important to me as I live on a narrow lane and have no driveway, and the guy opposite has a large van, not leaving much room for traffic to get past and I've had the mirrors hit a few times. For the sake of 300 quid I'd have paid it anyway if buying new (though I'd never buy new, way too much depreciation, taxes and in most people's cases, loan fees so I've never really understood why people do that), but hopefully a lot of buyers will have paid for the option. It would be interesting to know if they can be retro-fitted, if the wiring's there.

I know from the reviews some say the same about the folding rear seats, especially if your load space isn't best in class. I know it's not something that would bother most people, but my wife has an electric bike and needs rescuing from time to time due to the occasional punture. I currently have a Volvo S60 and the bike fits (just) with the rear seats folded. These were standard on the model I have - and it's 19 years old! 

The CD player isn't a deal breaker and I can have one retro fitted I'm sure if necessary. I have Spotify anyway. The ones I saw in a couple of video reviews (but never mentioned in the videos), the slot was on the long black strip between the two temperature displays, above the heating controls. 

On 5/15/2021 at 2:37 PM, ChrisC said:

An interesting question - my 2017 R-Sport P250 had them as a standard feature but my newer HSE purchased in 2019 did not.  Unsure whether they were a chargeable option then but they are now a £200 option across the range.

I also remember reading that you can have an aluminium upgrade for around £120.

On 6/4/2021 at 11:51 PM, Coolcity said:

Thanks, much appreciated. I've probably got a hundred more questions yet, I do a lot of research when I buy a car as I'm not one for changing them regularly. 

Seems odd that a car marketed at this level would place folding mirrors as an option. I've never understood that a manufacturer fighting for a piece of a very competitive market would not throw in everything they possibly could, and at least the main things that buyers might expect, and they surely can't cost very much to fit them at the factory, say £50 or so? Even if they add the £50 on to the price. It's important to me as I live on a narrow lane and have no driveway, and the guy opposite has a large van, not leaving much room for traffic to get past and I've had the mirrors hit a few times. For the sake of 300 quid I'd have paid it anyway if buying new (though I'd never buy new, way too much depreciation, taxes and in most people's cases, loan fees so I've never really understood why people do that), but hopefully a lot of buyers will have paid for the option. It would be interesting to know if they can be retro-fitted, if the wiring's there.

I know from the reviews some say the same about the folding rear seats, especially if your load space isn't best in class. I know it's not something that would bother most people, but my wife has an electric bike and needs rescuing from time to time due to the occasional punture. I currently have a Volvo S60 and the bike fits (just) with the rear seats folded. These were standard on the model I have - and it's 19 years old! 

The CD player isn't a deal breaker and I can have one retro fitted I'm sure if necessary. I have Spotify anyway. The ones I saw in a couple of video reviews (but never mentioned in the videos), the slot was on the long black strip between the two temperature displays, above the heating controls. 

The folding mirrors were standard on my latest HSE so I guess they now realise the popularity.  Folding rear seat was still an option though. 

• Like 1