Dynamic Stability Control, Amber warning

Tim H

I rarely use my XK (X150) and have often had to recharge the battery when I try and start the car only to find it flat.

I like many, have read how sensitive these cars are to electrical issues I wasn’t too surprised to see an amber warning triangle in the message centre alerting me to ‘Dynamic Stability Control’ failure. After fully charging the battery and driving the car for a while I expected the waning light to go off but it didn’t. As there wasn’t any affect on the cars performance I ignored the warning as a temporary glitch.

A couple of weeks later I again attempted to start the car and it did so on its second turn. The amber warning was still there but this time another warning came up in Red, ‘Pedestrian System Fault’ being a red warning I took this one a little more seriously.

I knew both these faults were sensor issues as I rarely used the car so I drove it to my nearest ‘official’ Jag garage with the plan of speaking to a technician. After describing the issues to the female receptionist I was told it would cost £178 to plug in a fault code reader to diagnose the issue and pinpoint the offending sensor/sensors. I would then be charged £170 per hour to rectify the issues found, plus parts. As they were very busy I would have to book the car in for sometime the following week! I declined the kind offer as I knew there was an ‘independent’ Jaguar garage just 5 minutes away.

Pulling up at the ‘Indy Jag garage’ I explained the issues and his fault code reader was plugged in within 5 mins of arriving. ‘Drivers ride height’ sensor was a fault as was two impact sensors behind the front bumper and a seatbelt tightening sensor on the passenger side was also a fault. Each of the sensors were approx £100 each except the seatbelt sensor was £250! I paid £48 for the fault code reading.
I’m comfortable doing a lot of work on cars so I ordered the parts for next day delivery with the intention of fitting the sensors myself and saving a few quid. The two sensors behind the bumper could only be changed by taking the bumper off and the seatbelt sensor requires the seat removed, the ride height sensor just requires the wheel removed.

I collected the new sensors the following day (not the seatbelt sensor as the Indy garage owner said it was unlikely to be faulty) and started the work. After jacking up the car and removing the driver side front wheel the ‘ride height sensor’ is clearly visible and easily removable using a 10mm spanner. I was quite surprised just how vulnerable it is sitting in the wishbone behind the disc open to all the elements.

It took less than 3 mins to change the sensor (less time than removing the wheel) and comparing the two, old and new it was easy to see the old one was stiff and nothing like as flexible as the new one.

After replacing the wheel and lowering the car the whole job was done within 15mins. Keen to see if it had worked I jumped in the car and pressed the start button. Success, no amber warning! I stopped the engine and told the Mrs that I was going for a test drive.

On starting the car for my test drive the ‘Red’ warning triangle had also gone out leaving my dash free of warnings!

4 days of usage later, I’m warning light free and a very happy bunny! I took my unopened bumper sensors back for a full refund and the total cost was just £48 for the fault read and £100 for the one sensor!

The sensor that was removed I cleaned up using WD40 and an old tooth brush and put it back on, guess what it worked! The location of the sensor caused it to be clogged with mud off the road and I guess the little usage caused it to dry rock hard and not flex when in occasional use throwing up the fault code.

If there is a moral to this story it is “don’t panic and pay official Jag prices when independent Jaguar garages are just as good, if not better” and “don’t be daunted to carry out simple work yourself”.

Hiya Tim 

unless your car is a R you don’t have to remove the bumper and the ped sensors can be accessed from the top ,that said if it is an R the sensors can be accessed by removing the front most under tray ,

you will probably find that these sensors are more problematic during the summer season (temperature) however they appear to have a life span of approx 10 years 

never knew that you can have a height adjustable spring/standard front strut arrangement other than coil overs are you sure it isn’t the headlights levelling sensor?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership