2006 KKR 150 refuelling problem

Steve XKR

Hi everyone, I'm new to Jaguar ownership and after some advise, I recently purchased a 2006 XKR 150 4.2l convertible, it was a private sale and had a full tank of fuel when I picked it up, on filling it for the first time it took me about 10 minutes to put about 20 litres of fuel into it, I googled the problem and found some advise saying turn the nozzle 90 degrees clockwise, I tried that and it was better but still a little slow, got 45 litres into it and that was it, thought it must be full, turned ignition on and only showed 3/4 full, I had the breather tube checked, that was clear! Any ideas about possible causes?

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

Without wishing to duplicate a post, could I just add a few “update” comments, having the same problem and looking at every forum I can think of! Firstly, this is a common Jag problem and not restricted to XKs; indeed, I understand Jaguar issued a modified fuel filler neck for the XF. It may be related to oversensitive pump sensors, of course, but actually in some cases, its the car not the pump! Also, note, the filler system is different (on XKs,) between EU and NA models, so likely that the EVAP canister problem suggested on many forums does not cause the issue on UK cars. The other point to be aware of is that most JLR dealerships will “claim” ignorance of it being a car problem, (mine certainly did!)

if you are unlucky to have a vehicle that suffers, then please try all the self help suggestions ie angling the nozzle, turning it to 90 degrees etc. It may work! However, there are clearly some problem cars which no matter what you try, the slow fill problem may persist. Very sadly, I have not yet stumbled upon the solution, and as mentioned, not getting any help or advice from JLR either. The problem certainly seems more prevalent as the tank fills to ward’s capacity, and to make matters even more frustrating, sometimes filling up works okay. It is not related to different pumps either, because I can only access one pump locally with E5, (and before anyone suggests it, happens just as often with E10)

If anyone else has discovered a fix, would be delighted to hear 👂 

4 hours ago, drphilgood said:

Without wishing to duplicate a post, could I just add a few “update” comments, having the same problem and looking at every forum I can think of! Firstly, this is a common Jag problem and not restricted to XKs; indeed, I understand Jaguar issued a modified fuel filler neck for the XF. It may be related to oversensitive pump sensors, of course, but actually in some cases, its the car not the pump! Also, note, the filler system is different (on XKs,) between EU and NA models, so likely that the EVAP canister problem suggested on many forums does not cause the issue on UK cars. The other point to be aware of is that most JLR dealerships will “claim” ignorance of it being a car problem, (mine certainly did!)

if you are unlucky to have a vehicle that suffers, then please try all the self help suggestions ie angling the nozzle, turning it to 90 degrees etc. It may work! However, there are clearly some problem cars which no matter what you try, the slow fill problem may persist. Very sadly, I have not yet stumbled upon the solution, and as mentioned, not getting any help or advice from JLR either. The problem certainly seems more prevalent as the tank fills to ward’s capacity, and to make matters even more frustrating, sometimes filling up works okay. It is not related to different pumps either, because I can only access one pump locally with E5, (and before anyone suggests it, happens just as often with E10)

If anyone else has discovered a fix, would be delighted to hear 👂 

I have tried all the things such as turning the nozzle to different angles, even got my local garage the check the breather tube, then thought it was just my local garage pumps been to sensitive,  no, as everywhere else was the same, then one day I literally just pushed the fuel pump as far as it would go into the car, I know this sounds a bit stupid, as every other car I have owned could be filled with the pump only 2 inches into the filler, it had a full tank in no time at all, since then, I have had no issues at all, all I can say is, if the pump will go further in, then try it, it could save a lot of embarrassing moments at the garage, hope this helps.

Thanks Steve, will certainly try this next time! The infuriating thing is that occasionally it fills ( and I generally use the same garage and pump for E5), without any issue. Go back 10 days later and bad as ever

• 3 months later...

quick update; did a recent road trip, excess of 600 miles , so inevitably regular fills of tank. first 2 fills, same issue, very slow fill. Third time noticeably quicker, fourth fill up, almost  no issue, filled up carefully as ever but no cut outs on the put[p sensor and filled at "full rate". Subsequent fill at a different garage, no issues. Question; is the problem more likely if we are not driving the car often/ long distance so there is a pressure build up?

• 2 months later...

3 months on, and frightened to post, but the car seems to have cured itself. The only other useful tip I have learned after the months of frustration, is that now, my routine is to ensure the nozzle is fully into the fuel neck filler, (even to the extent of feeling I am forcing it into the vehicle), and then to increase the pump flow pretty rapidly and "go for it"! When it was constantly cutting out, I was pussyfooting about fearful of filling too fast, it seems now easier just to hit the gas literally.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

now almost 6 months on from my last "update" and my car/ fuel filler is behaving itself, touch wood!!!! routine still, insert pump nozzle 'firmly' and ensure fully engaged, and increase fill rate pretty rapidly . Seems to be working and now no longer the idiot blocking a pump! Relief.

I did read one other tip elsewhere; member suggested that its maybe caused by a build up of pressure in the tank if the car is left standing, eg mothballed over the winter? His solution is a. leave the tank completely full when he knows the car is going to stand, and b. before he next uses the car and goes to fill the tank, he wedges the filler cap open for 24 hours. His view is that that "releases" and pressure in the tank?

It does kind of chime with my experience that my filling issue seemed to get better when I was using the car more frequently. When I bought the car, it had been very little used for a while as previous owner had passed on.