How many miles is ‘too many’ when buying an s-type?

JamesJ

Hello all,

looking into buying an S-type. I’m curious as to what, if anything, I should be avoiding? Where possible I’m aiming for FSH but would consider partial if there’s enough information. 

I’ve seen a few with 120k miles (mix of pre/post facelift. One near me I am considering is 57 plate) - should these be avoided, or can S-type keep going with proper maintenance? Thinking diesel, but open to thoughts on petrol. Most second hand seem to be automatic, so at that point I assume I should also look for one where transmission fluid has been changed?

I’m mostly wondering as the lowest mileage ones always seem to be 100+ miles from where I live (I’m currently carless so distance is a factor.) whereas the 100k miles+ seem to be more frequent, obviously due to the age.

In short, should I rule out high mileage s-types? I would be using it frequently.

what are your total mileages? That may help me here.

Thanks in advance. Not owned a Jag before so want to certain on what I could expect re: longevity.

hopefully this all makes sense!

This is only personal opinion. We bought a second hand diesel and didn’t fully explore reviews and got a problem with dpf almost immediately. No warning lights and engine died requiring new engine. If buying again I would avoid the diesel, as I said this is only my opinion and may have just been unlucky 

Hi

I bought a low mileage (61,000 mls) 2005 S Type 2.5 V6 Petrol Auto in April this year. In fabulous almost pristine condition.  A good service history, although not had a lot done to it other than regular servicing and had all MOT`s. It was MOT`d for me before collection with no defects noted or advisories given, (a clean sheet). In my opinion I feel it is able to be classed as low mileage for its age, I have had to do a couple things in the reasonably short time of owning the car and only completing some 1000 miles in my ownership. Insisted with my purchase that the gearbox Oil and filter were changed as part of the deal and this was complied with.

1/ Have replaced  all six plugs and ignition coils. The only fault was at No.3 cylinder only,  but whilst manifold was off all six plus and coils and manifold gaskets were replaced.

2/ Am currently attempting to get to the bottom of a Code No: P0420, relating to Cat reading below expected level on Bank 1. Have replace Upstream  Lambda and yellow warning came back. Am now about to fit a Downstream Lambda in the hope of curing the problem. Used genuine Denso on both Lambda`s  as these are original Equipment by Jaguar.

This is not a major issue to me as the cars themselves are what I consider to be the last of the traditional looking Jaguars and are an absolute delight to drive and own. I absolutely adore my S Type and would not change it for anything else. I was always a petrol head and even at almost 72 I still am. I adore classic looking cars, having owned such cars as Nissan 200`s, Nissan Skylines etc etc in my younger years, as well as a Mk2 Jaguar as a late teenager. I wanted for many years to go back to a Jaguar and did so in April this year.

My personal advice and opinion, although not necessarily reflective of other respected persons on this or any other Forum, would be look for a service history and proof of mileage (like via continuous MOT`s, (if possible by the same test station) and buy what you consider is the best you can afford. I would add to that, all of the decent condition S Types now appear to be fetching good and increasing monetary values and never seem to be valued by age related prices, which of course one would not expect from what is undoubtedly an up and coming future classic.

They have a terrific comfortable ride and I can achieve 25 - 26 mpg with mine.

Loving it, so go do the same yourself and enjoy it.

Good Luck and Best Wishes, John

Edited by Wrinkly
to add regards auto box oil/filter change

On 9/15/2021 at 10:36 AM, Mag55 said:

This is only personal opinion. We bought a second hand diesel and didn’t fully explore reviews and got a problem with dpf almost immediately. No warning lights and engine died requiring new engine. If buying again I would avoid the diesel, as I said this is only my opinion and may have just been unlucky 

I wouldn't read to much into that, a good diesel engine will usually run for hundreds of thousands of miles if looked after. It's the service history that's important. 

I bought a 2006 s type diesel the day before lockdown in 2019. Have abs and handbrake warnings on start up but everything clears as I drive off. Local garage serviced every 12 months and MOT at the same time. Now has 123000 on the clock and runs like a sewing machine up to the legal limit. 

Chidders

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2021 at 4:24 AM, Coolcity said:

I wouldn't read to much into that, a good diesel engine will usually run for hundreds of thousands of miles if looked after. It's the service history that's important. 

I would not recommend the diesel at all if you are a city driver. On my first diesel S type (2006 model) The DPF filter was a problem for all of the 5 years that I had the car and at 120,000 miles it just started to mechanically disintegrate, got rid sadly. Have had the petrol S type sport for the last year and it is way better than the diesel. No comparison. More cost of fuel but better in every other way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that's a fair point. You really need to have regular motorway runs (once every couple of weeks of around 60 miles seems to be a rough average quoted by many people) plus if you're doing a lot of short journeys. By the time you're done it's probably no cheaper than running a petrol engine. 

hi

if your after a diesel s-type go for the earlier ones, with tail pipes that point down, they have no DPFs and get much less problems with the engines

service history is ideal, but if your only doing short trips, then a diesel will give you problems, unless it has no dpfs

cheers

Joe