Tyre recomendations

lou tennant

Gave the Jag a good wash n wax yesterday, noticed a slight bulge in one of the rear tyres (side wall )

There is probably only 2/3mm left on both rears so i`m going to get them both done at the same time.

All suggestions will be entertained, although I am looking for quality rather than frugality.

Thanks

Big fan of All season tyres for British Climate and as a driver who doesn't drive it as if I stole it 🙂

My 2013 Sportbrake is shod with Bridgestone A005 Evo Weather Control (245/40 19). Still not had chance to try in serious snow but grip in wet or dry when below 8C is significantly better than any summer tyre and in summer is still A rated in the wet. I also still have 4 Jaguar snow socks in the boot (still in original packing) as a couple of years ago when I still had a SAAB 95 (shod with Michelin Cross Climates) I nearly wet myself watching a BMW and Merc failing to get up the slightest of inclines in just a couple of inches of snow and vowed that would never be me!

John

I dont think these cars handle that well in snow, certainly no issues in the wet. Most people dont know how to drive in snow the UK, even the land rovers who forget they do have to stop in snow 🤣

Made my decision, Goodyear Eagle F1 assymetric 5. Did briefly consider all season tyres, but to be perfectly honest I won`t be driving the Jag in snow/slush/sh1te conditions.

Thanks for the comments, I shall report back with all honesty once the Goodyears are scrubbed in.👍

You pays your money etc....

The real advantage of All Season tyres is that you give up 10% of your ultimate, on the limit summer performance for a 30 or 40% improvement in grip when temperature falls below 8C.

It all depens on your priorities 🙂

John

On 10/24/2021 at 11:27 AM, Roaring Success said:

3 hours ago, Big John said:

You pays your money etc....

The real advantage of All Season tyres is that you give up 10% of your ultimate, on the limit summer performance for a 30 or 40% improvement in grip when temperature falls below 8C.

It all depens on your priorities 🙂

John

Just reduces the ability to power slide 😄

• 4 weeks later...

Pirelli P Zero appears to be a choice made by many members. I looked at the  Pirelli website and found many options. I have an XF-S  2010 3.0 ltr D with 255/35/20 Senta wheels but am not sure which of the Pirelli to choose for the best result. Some guidance would be appreciated regarding which to choose or the preference of members for whatever reasons.

Roger. 

Hi Roger,

I have the P Zero.  I did try Goodyear and found that they were quite quiet, but started wearing after about 6,000 miles [2.5 years]. Pirelli are stronger and hold the road better but are slightly noisier on rough roads.

Peter

Clearly I got carried away by the range of P Zero types available. Hence my query as above left me wondering which variant members had used eg. Corsa, Scorpion or others. So, it is plain P Zero. Got there in the end and thanks to you all.

Roger.

I am a tyre fitter by trade, 

michelin are the only true round tyre and are without question the best for high mileage,

nexus are also excellent,

but if you do lots of low mileage town work, buy cheaper brands with a high shoulder as these wear most when doing slow manoeuvres or parking,

I use nexus on mine 

• 2 weeks later...

I had Dunlop Sport Max on my 3.0d when I got it but they broke up on the shoulders with 6mm of tread left on them. I could see the canvas through the cracks. 235/35/20. Will never buy any of them. I had Nexans fitted. They aren't the quietest but they are lasting well and at a lot less money that the Sport Max.

• 1 month later...

When I got the car they had awful cheap Chinese tyres on, I forget the brand but in the slightest bit of rain they slid all over the place. Dealer had swapped them actually before I collected the car as it had Dunlops on when I went to look at it - I didn't notice until a couple of weeks later. 

I got the P-Zeros as the local National tyre place had a really good deal on them, and cannot fault them at all, wet or dry, but I was told the Dunlops last longer.

As for snow, all rear wheel drive cars struggle. I had a 3-series a few years ago and it was a nightmare in the snow, As luck has it, it very rarely snows where I am . I tried the Michelin Cross Climates and they were brilliant in the wet but typically, it never snowed all the time I had them so I cant comment.

Hi Gary,

I have always found that using the best tyres give you the best drive.

In the days before front wheel driving had come I have to use very strong rear wheel tyres which got me safely from my home in Widnes to my work in North Wales every day. 

The tyres I had where similar to those on tractors and lasted for a long time in the snow!

Regards,

Peter.