Shifter knob won't raise up

Bluizntx

Hello I'm a newbie to the forum. I have a 2010 Jaguar XF Premium and I drove it had no problems what so ever parked it the next morning got in it to leave, it started just fine but the shifter knob won't raise up so I can't put it in gear. Has anyone else had this happen? What was the problem? Does anyone have any sugguestions on what might cause this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Did I post this is the correct place because no one has answered. If this isn't the correct place to post this I apologize please direct me where I need to post this. Thank you.

8 hours ago, Bluizntx said:

Did I post this is the correct place because no one has answered. If this isn't the correct place to post this I apologize please direct me we I need to post this. Thank you.

Tonya

It appears to be in the correct place (I.E. XF). Sometimes it does take a while for a person who knows the answer to actually read the posted question. There appears to be times when nobody has read the posts at all. It is highly likely that someone will give an answer at sometime.

Best Wishes and Regards, John

• Like 1

On 6/20/2022 at 8:43 AM, Bluizntx said:

Hello I'm a newbie to the forum. I have a 2010 Jaguar XF Premium and I drove it had no problems what so ever parked it the next morning got in it to leave, it started just fine but the shifter knob won't raise up so I can't put it in gear. Has anyone else had this happen? What was the problem? Does anyone have any sugguestions on what might cause this?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Usual problem is dry joints within the console, general fix is to replace with a used unit.

A code reader may shed more light on it for you.

21 hours ago, Wrinkly said:

Tonya

It appears to be in the correct place (I.E. XF). Sometimes it does take a while for a person who knows the answer to actually read the posted question. There appears to be times when nobody has read the posts at all. It is highly likely that someone will give an answer at sometime.

Best Wishes and Regards, John

Hello John,

Thank you for responding to my post. Good to know that it sometimes may take a little bit. I need to more patient. Lol! I just hate being without my car. I don't think there is ever a convenient time for your car to break down but this couldn't have happended at a worse time. Hopefully whatever is wrong can be fixed fairly quickly. Thanks again, Take care. 

13 hours ago, Jimbov8 said:

Usual problem is dry joints within the console, general fix is to replace with a used unit.

Hello, thank you for responding to my post. This may sound stupid but, what is a dry joint and what causes it? Is there anything that I could do to prevent it from happening again in the future or is it just something that happens over time anyway? This is what we have done so far we took the gear shift module off the console and looked at the circuit board that is attached to it ( not sure what that is called) and there are a couple of spots on it that are worn down and have black stuff on them. So we are thinking that maybe the problem. Not forsure but it seems like it at the moment. What is that circuit board called that attaches to the gear shifter module? I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find it by itself only with the whole console gear shifter with start button and the e-brake. I'll post some pics just in case I'm not calling the parts by the correct name so I don't confuse everything. This is a learning experience for me. My next question is does the replacement part have to be reprogrammed to work with my car?? If so does a professional need to do it or is it something that can be done DIY? Is there a certain place anyone could suggest to get the used part from and or places to avoid for any particular reason? Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate everyone taking time out of their day to help me. Here are the pic of what part I'm talking about. This isn't mine it's one I screenshot but the pic of the circuit board is the one from my car I going to attempt to show you the spots on the board I was referring to.

Screenshot_20220621-235453.png

Screenshot_20220622-010434_Messages.thumb.jpg.45e9c2c9b03fdbe8c56850815194dfbe.jpgScreenshot_20220622-010340.thumb.png.12c1e69fc3dbe82393b03e4ee5fe226f.pngScreenshot_20220622-010402.thumb.png.3abc6934781d319e455add2eae918f74.png

14 hours ago, Jimbov8 said:

Hello, thank you for responding to my post. This may sound stupid but, what is a dry joint and what causes it? Is there anything that I could do to prevent it from happening again in the future or is it just something that happens over time anyway? This is what we have done so far we took the gear shift module off the console and looked at the circuit board that is attached to it ( not sure what that is called) and there are a couple of spots on it that are worn down and have black stuff on them. So we are thinking that maybe the problem. Not forsure but it seems like it at the moment. What is that circuit board called that attaches to the gear shifter module? I've searched everywhere and can't seem to find it by itself only with the whole console gear shifter with start button and the e-brake. I'll post some pics just in case I'm not calling the parts by the correct name so I don't confuse everything. This is a learning experience for me. My next question is does the replacement part have to be reprogrammed to work with my car?? If so does a professional need to do it or is it something that can be done DIY? Is there a certain place anyone could suggest to get the used part from and or places to avoid for any particular reason? Thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate everyone taking time out of their day to help me. Here are the pic of what part I'm talking about. This isn't mine it's one I screenshot but the pic of the circuit board is the one from my car I going to attempt to show you the spots on the board I was referring to.

That circuit board has burnt out, that’s the black bits. As far as I’m aware, they do not supply the circuit board separately.

As long as you find the whole console from the same model car, it will simply be plug and play.

• Sad 1

On 6/21/2022 at 5:19 PM, Botch said:

Hope this helps, I've read in the manual that it can still be used in the down position, use a couple of thumbs to twist it. 

Hi, I tried this and I couldn't get it to turn. Wished I could. Thanks for the help.

18 hours ago, Jimbov8 said:

That circuit board has burnt out, that’s the black bits. As far as I’m aware, they do not supply the circuit board separately.

As long as you find the whole console from the same model car, it will simply be plug and play.

That's what we thought also. Good to know as long as it is the same model car it won't need to be reprogrammed. Thank you so much for your help!!

• Like 1