Abs fault ...yup me too

First of all thanks for the add ..

I have ,what seems to be a common fault , abs light came on after I went over a bump then after parking the old girl up a gearbox fault came up. Now I have only 2nd and 3rd gear.  My firms £5000 diagnostic tool can't even access the abs . New battery fitted today and tomorrow I'm jac king her up and having a look at the rear sensors / rings to see if there's any obvious damage . Any advice or help would be greatly received. 😕 

Check the cicuit diagram for a connector/s carrying the relevant controls/signals then check that it is not loose,  Disconnect the battery, clean the contacts on both sides with a professional spray contact cleaner then insert and remove connector a few times. Recon the battery, follow the procedure and keep your fingers crossed!

Good luck.

Mike

9 hours ago, mrmike said:

Check the cicuit diagram for a connector/s carrying the relevant controls/signals then check that it is not loose,  Disconnect the battery, clean the contacts on both sides with a professional spray contact cleaner then insert and remove connector a few times. Recon the battery, follow the procedure and keep your fingers crossed!

Good luck.

Mike

Ta mate did all that plus cleaned the reluctor rings and checked the sensors visually.  I have a icarsoft  930 coming ina few days I'll bung that in and see which one of the sensors is in the spritz 

20220716_161123.jpg

20220716_161118.jpg

20220716_161115.jpg

I use the icarsoft 930 and it has always cleared the dtcs, with 2 exceptions, from memory 3087 and an a/c Blower prob which doesn't exist.

BTW. I soldered the battery connector cables, got rid of a lot of wierdos, after 2 years stil doin fine. Touch wood, unfortunately not in the Cat!!! Wood that is!!!!

8 minutes ago, mrmike said:

I use the icarsoft 930 and it has always cleared the dtcs, with 2 exceptions, from memory 3087 and an a/c Blower prob which doesn't exist.

BTW. I soldered the battery connector cables, got rid of a lot of wierdos, after 2 years stil doin fine. Touch wood, unfortunately not in the Cat!!! Wood that is!!!!

Cheers Mike.. I can't believe these cars are so sensitive.. my old E class has a supplementary battery..small 12 v battery similar to the battery in my bike . Anyway next step.is to clear the codes and go from.there .. BTW  wheni bumped over rhe speed hump.in our lane I dif scrape the undercarriage about halfway don the car so when i get access to  our loft I'll have a good look under the car . Ots beginning to look.like I was stiched up with this old girl 

Just now, sosmotorcyclerecovery said:

Cheers Mike.. I can't believe these cars are so sensitive.. my old E class has a supplementary battery..small 12 v battery similar to the battery in my bike . Anyway next step.is to clear the codes and go from.there .. BTW  wheni bumped over rhe speed hump.in our lane I dif scrape the undercarriage about halfway don the car so when i get access to  our loft I'll have a good look under the car . Ots beginning to look.like I was stiched up with this old girl 

The list of things to do on this car is getting longer .. its had a bump at the front but I was given a new bumper skin .. no air con , sticky drivers window , key has oNly to working buttons , fuel flap latch is broken , grubby two tone seats ( I have an entire  black interior )  misty headlamps  .. all the mechanical stuff I can handle ( I'm a bike mechanic )  but the electrical stuff is a bugger 😬 

hi

you should get a better idea once codes are read

its usually a abs sensor and sometimes abs unit which can easily be fixed

see what codes you get

also icarsoft LR v3 are very good for our cars, but only Jaguar based and icarsoft cr pro is even better works with all car makes.

cheers

Joe

42 minutes ago, JOE-DOT-COM said:

hi

you should get a better idea once codes are read

its usually a abs sensor and sometimes abs unit which can easily be fixed

see what codes you get

also icarsoft LR v3 are very good for our cars, but only jaguar based and icarsoft cr pro is even better works with all car makes.

cheers

Joe

Thanks Joe .. I've owned a fair few BL built xj6 s and I was a chauffeur  in London so Ive driven even more   I'm used to the labour of love these cars inevitably are ..  I got this car many cos my old man had a 63 Mk2  and it's the closest I'll ever get to that 

Had a few MK2s 3.4s, 3.8s and a 3.8 XKE  The 3.4 was the first car I had that topped a ton with ease. Cost me 25 quid. When they broke you got the scrappie to take it away, giving you a tenner towards the next one. I sold the rust free XKE for 180 quid because a kid cracked the windscreen in Italy.

2 hours ago, mrmike said:

Had a few MK2s 3.4s, 3.8s and a 3.8 XKE  The 3.4 was the first car I had that topped a ton with ease. Cost me 25 quid. When they broke you got the scrappie to take it away, giving you a tenner towards the next one. I sold the rust free XKE for 180 quid because a kid cracked the windscreen in Italy.

Mike

When young (am now 72) and a real "jack the lad" at 18 I bought two jags. A XK120 convertible which was an absolute rust bucket but it did run and drive. Sold it in three days and made a great profit of £250 . Also bought a Mk 1 which was in fairly good order. It was a metallic dark blue with cream leather interior. Kept for about two weeks and sold it making £450 profit.

My mother (bless her) was not at all pleased and "suggested" (being polite) that I bought no further junk and brought it home.

I wish I still had them two cars now, but suspect that they have gone to their resting place.

Gor blimey, you're a kid I'm 73, My CTH940, I think, it is silver grey now. My mates TC europa is in the background and sat on my bonnet was a friend who always came to "Brands H" with me

image.jpeg

Mikes E-Type4.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mrmike said:

Gor blimey, you're a kid I'm 73, My CTH940, I think, it is silver grey now. My mates TC europa is in the background and sat on my bonnet was a friend who always came to "Brands H" with me

image.jpeg

Mikes E-Type4.jpg

Unfortunately I have no photos back as far as yours go. I only have from the days of Nissan Skylines, 200SX and Primera eGT that I once owned .

Best Wishes, John

ok so solved ....twas a right hand rear ABS sensor and dirty rings [oeer matron] turned off the DSC light ABS ;ight And the gearbox fault light ........But ,,there always a but with these infernal cars ..its still throwing up a restricted performance issue when i boot it..EGR maybe ? Thanks for the huge amount of info on this site and the very knowledgeable people who offered advice