Puddle lights - where is the light sensor?

Coolcity

One of my puddle lights - the light beneath the wing mirror - isn't working. The problem is I can't test it because it only comes on when it's dark (or it would if it was working, obviously), and I can't find the sensor that ensures it does that. I've covered the windscreen from the outside with a sun screen thing that I have to block out the light, assuming it was one of the sensors near the rear view mirror but to no avail. 

Anybody got any idea? Thanks. 

No, that WAS my first port of call. I wouldn't ask without checking something as obvious first. 

In fact having looked a little further, neither puddle light is working and the fault is a little odd. When I unlock the car the courtesy lights don't come on. With the lighter evenings at the moment I hadn't noticed, in fact it was my wife that noticed the blue glow had gone - that's because the footwell lights didn't come on; I've changed those to blue LEDs to match the ambient lighting. 

So when I open the car from locked, none of the courtesy lights (puddle and footwell lights included) come on at all, but I can switch them on manually - but only the inside lights come on, not the puddle lights. The interior lights will continue to come on when I open the car door, and go off when I close it, but if I lock the car then open it again, they don't come on at all and I have to switch them on manually again. 

I then tested several bulbs and tried some of them in the puddle lamps but they don't come on at all, but I don't know if they're supposed to come on only in the dark or all the time, whenever the courtesy lights come on. 

That aside, I suspect the reason they're not working is the same reason the interior lights are not coming on when I unlock and open the car. I'll take the centre console light fitting off tomorrow and see of there's anything obvious, might just want a clean inside. 

Found this, not sure if true or not but worth trying...

if you press/hold the front centre console light for 2 or 3 seconds it resets the interior lighting including the puddle lights.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tomato said:

Found this, not sure if true or not but worth trying...

if you press/hold the front centre console light for 2 or 3 seconds it resets the interior lighting including the puddle lights.

Absolutely spot on that mate, job done! 

One interesting point, I had a look at the user manual and it doesn't even mention the puddle lights at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...