Advice on CTEC charger

David Collins

hi

got a low battery warning when out today

battery less than 2 years old 

car used yesterday for short runs in town

put my CTEC charger on

Went to setting 3 quickly

have I connected the negative lead to an ok position as understand it has to be on chassis and not attached to the negative side of the battery 

how long would I expect it to be on setting 3?

thanks

B8DA198E-7EF1-4CEC-8A18-28D57512F59B.jpeg

Hi David,

My CTEK 10 goes to stage 4 fairly quickly, it will then take quite some time before it shows fully charged. You don’t say which CTEK you have but I would imagine it will be the same. The manual should give some indication.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Collins said:

To add to my post

advice on a good battery tester to buy please 

think you can get some that test alternator too?

I have seen the sealey bt102 recommended but on an old thread

Thankyou 

david

David 

With the CTEK  you can buy a easy plug in adapter (I have one on my S-Type) which will show you the battery charge with a series of traffic lights colours, and allows a quick plug in when you want/need to use the CTEK. I find it adequate to control/identify the state of the battery. I do though religiously put mine on the CTEK at least once per month and for at least twelve hours. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304658209966?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200818143230%26meid%3Dfea948544cb1430bb818233e7baa26d0%26pid%3D101224%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D275466040484%26itm%3D304658209966%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DDefaultOrganicWeb%26brand%3DCTEK&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Best Wishes and Regards, John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe that the time taken to charge your battery is dependant on the maximum amps of your charger.  So take the amp hours of your battery and divide by the charge rate of the charger. This should give you the time taken to charge your battery.

For example the CTEK MXS 7.0 gives 7 amps. So a 77 amphour battery will take 10 hours to fully charge

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Denis Oxon said:

I believe that the time taken to charge your battery is dependant on the maximum amps of your charger.  So take the amp hours of your battery and divide by the charge rate of the charger. This should give you the time taken to charge your battery.

For example the CTEK MXS 7.0 gives 7 amps. So a 77 amphour battery will take 10 hours to fully charge

That concurs with my regime of charging for at least 12 hours (7amps 95amp/hr battery = 13.57 hrs.)

Regards, John

• Like 1

hi

the amount of time to charge the battery will vary on how low the battery is, but should take no more than a couple of hours, if the battery is healthy

you cant calculate how long it will take to charge a battery going off the AH rating of the battery, you can only calculate how long it will take to go flat from fully charged.

because of the different states of the battery, from flat to fully charged.

I have a Jaguar CTEK charger, which if the car has been used, once the charger is plugged in will go to fully charged and the monitor state in about 30 mins and there only a 3.3 amp charger, if the battery were a bit low, down to 12.2volts would only take just over an hour to fully charged state.

The CTEK charger can be left on long term because it does bulk charge, then drops to a trickle charge, then completely knock off, with no charge and only monitors the battery voltage, no current, then once the battery voltage drops to around 12.2-12.4 volts the charger kicks in again and trickles up to it knock off voltage, so even if you have had it connected to you battery for 24hours, does not means its been charging for 24hours, if its a healthy battery it many of only charged for 2 hours in that period, depending on battery state, older the battery, the more the battery will discharge and the ctek has to kick in to top it up.

also worth mentioning, make sure the battery has the factory breather still fitted, which vent the explosive gases vent outside the boot area, usually the pipe goes behind the rear bumper, this is usually not a problem without a trickle charger, as gas is only generated as the car is driven and general ventilation will get rid of it, but if your car is store in a garage and not moved, it can create gas in you boot, hence why they fitted a vent pipe.

cheers

Joe

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership