New Owner.

I bought my first Jag yesterday😉. It's a 2.5L black 2005 S Type with 93000 on the clock. There will be few times when i will be asking for your advise including why the Air Con only blows cold on the passenger side, my side was blowing hot, (yesterday 20/05/23 was quite a warm day).

Immediately though, i have a more urgent problem. I can't get it taxed😡.

I did, to the best of my abilities, do due diligence on the car's history, but when i applied for road tax i got the attached reply. Can anyone please advise?.

Car Tax.jpg

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the club!

Regarding the tax, i suspect the dealer you got it from gave you the green slip intended for him - you may find you have to apply to the Divvy-La-La for a new V5 log book in your name.

However, before doing any of that, try on monday afternoon again using what you have - i've known the website often has problems over weekends, especially those at the end/start of a month.

As for your AC, silly question but you are aware there are two separate temperature controls, one for each side? If you set the passengers to minimum and then the drivers, if you don't touch the passengers you can control both from the drivers side.

Next option is that the DCCV is sticking so try running the temperature for the drivers side up to max and down to minimum while driving or sat with the idle speed raised to ~2000rpm to help circulate the coolant. If the temperature hasn't been changed in a while the DCCV can stick and you will only get hot air out, no matter what. (It's a useful preventive maintenance at least once a month to cycle the temperature like this - you don't want to have to change the DCCV!)

Alternatively, phone the DVLA tomorrow and ask them what's going on - they seem to be making it harder and harder to tax any vehicle these days, high time VED was scrapped and a small amoutn added to fuel duty to replace it - fairer and much easier to administer!

• Like 1

Hi Dave, The tax situation is just as you predicted. I taxed it at the Post Office, no problem. The Air Con problem didn't get fixed though. I'll try again a few more times though. 

• Like 1

Glad to hear you got it taxed Bob, i had a feeling you might have been up against the might and mystery of cyberspace!

See how it goes with repeatedly trying the AC temerature up/down, i have another suggestion that's a bit more technical after that if it doesn't work though.

• Like 1

I walked into this car knowing full well there were issues to be resolved, so I'm happy to sort them all out one by one. I'll spend tomorrow driving the car and playing with the heater/air con, and get back to you. Thanks Dave.

• Like 1

Hiya Dave,

I took the car for a long drive today constantly turning the controls hot and cold. Just got back and unfortunately nothing has changed. My small victory of the day is that i managed to clear the car phones old contact list, and install mine.

• Like 1

That's a shame Bob, we know the DCCV is getting a feed from the fuse as the passenger side varies the temperature so that points to either the DCCV or the Climate Control Module.

I'm wondering if it's possible to interrogate the climate pack with a code reader that has diagnostics on it?

That's definitely a thought mate. The coolant level is a bit low, i wonder if it could affect it as well.

Fortunately, I have a mate, that has been fixing my car for years. He isn't the cheapest, but a week Saturday I'm gonna take him with me to where i get my MOTs, and he can take a look around it when the MOT guy gives it the once over.

I want the car back when everything works as it should.

I used to fix all my cars, but getting to old for that !Removed!, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CreoleBob said:

The coolant level is a bit low, i wonder if it could affect it as well.

If it did, it would make it cold due to air locks or just no coolant going through the heater matrices.

When you take it into the garage, have a good look at the rear ends of the sills, the sill covers can hide a good few sins! 😮

IMG-20230429-140025345.jpg

That was my drivers side sill at the back, t'other side was similar. Worth checking and nipping in the bud sooner rather than later, i also had a hole in the passenger sill near the A pillar which was covered by the sill cover so wasn't seen by the tester at MoT time, i will be fixing it soon though. Then painting and treating, probably with :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334562128817

When it comes back into stock!

I think that's why many of us are here, i've had a fair bit of advice and gained a lot of knowledge on here, as well as finding out a lot myself through research.

Hoping to nurse mine through for a few more decades yet, it was a demonstrator originally then a one owner car until his demise when i bought it and became the second owner. I suspect in his final few years, the previous owner wasn't quite as fastidious as he originally was but overall, mine appears to have been fairly well taken care of.

They all need TLC sooner or later though, those with errrrrrrrrr..................... "less cosseted" cars will no doubt find those tasks of TLC sooner than the rest of us and hopefully we can learn from them.

• Like 1