XJ8 or LS400 on a budget .....

IvanMcCoy

I'm a huge fan of wood and leather, and a massive fan of Jaguar. My Dad had Jags from me being a little boy (MkIX) up to being grown up (XJ6).

I find myself now on the tightest budget imaginable, but am desperate to own some wood and leather for covering maybe 5000 to 6000 miles a year. Recreational driving only really. The way the XJ8 looks is hugely persuasive. But the LS400 has that reputation for just going on forever and being hugely reliable - something I'm not particularly seeing in any forums regarding the Jaguar.

I can do small maintenance quite happily myself, and I have a brilliant independent mechanic and garage nearby. Real old schoool guy. Can fix or bodge anything!!

XJ8's and LS400's can readily be had for £2000 or less. And that is where my budget is - at a stretch!

I know I'm in Jaguar territory here, but what does anyone think (leaving out blind fanaticism)?

In all reality, Jaguar....cheap......no. But it's not meant to be, it's like owning a Spitfire. It has a kickass engine and handles like a dream, take care of her and she'll never let you down. Every day you sit in your cat you'll say ''Wow!''. Be negligent and the wings will fall off on a steep dive.

However you'll need to do your service history research carefully and make sure all the XJ8 known problems have been ironed out by previous owners, or that you have the budget to do so asap.

Forget warranties and ensure you can put aside money as your own warranty for when you need to fork out (and you will), that way even on your tight budget you'll be prepared. You'll probably want to make friends with a Jag breaker too so you can get all your parts instead of crying about the cost of things from the stealer.

If you'd be willing to cut your recreational milage to under 3000/year you'd probably get a better insurance deal too.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Ivan, I just did a post that completely answers your question......it's in the Jaguar lounge "didn't know about this area being new"

I paid £900.00 for my jag with part service history......"I know totally wrong" but did it anyway and have had to go throughout the car and now with a red face have to admit I've spent double that and some, but have a totally sorted XJ8 that I know is hopefully sorted now!

I love my Jag and can only laugh at my journey of ownership, have a look at my post "owning a rather used Jaguar XJ good & bad"

I'm sure I have OCD as I can't stop until its spotless cosmetically & mechanically but the drive and experience is unbeatable for the money.

Good luck whatever you decide........the Jag is better looking in my opinion :)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Join The Club

Join the Jaguar Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

• Topics

• Our picks

• Simply Jaguar show at Beaulieu - Sunday 23rd June 2024
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this year's Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 23rd June 2024

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/
      • 1 reply
    • JAGUAR’S LAST PETROL SPORTS CAR: F-TYPE ZP EDITION TAKES THE CHEQUERED FLAG
      Jaguar is commemorating the end of its internal combustion sports car lineage in 2024 with an exclusive limited-edition F-TYPE inspired by two iconic 1960s racing E-types

Just 150 examples of the F-TYPE ZP Edition will be the last internal combustion-engined sports cars designed by Jaguar. These 575PS supercharged petrol V8 F-TYPEs feature specially curated interior and exterior details by the personalisation experts at SV Bespoke.
    • UPDATE SHOW INFORMATION !

Please find attached your club label – please can this be distributed amongst your club members prior to the event. Please ensure that they print this label and display it in their windscreen upon entry to the event, this ensures that all members wishing to park within your club area are directed to the correct parking location by our stewards. Please do not modify or add logos to the club label.

We do ask that all individuals have purchased their tickets on an individual basis in advance via our website, to speed up the entry process on the day. This can be done on our website here until 2pm on the day when admission closes: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar.

Note that we do have two entrances available, one is exhibitors gate at the bottom of the hill as you come in to Beaulieu, with the other being the normal Simply event entrance within the attraction. Either entrance is fine to use and both are open from 9.00am, with the exhibitors entrance closing around 11am.

Jaguar Owners Club (1).pdf
    • Simply Jaguar - Beaulieu Motor Museum - 25th June 2023
      Jaguar Owners Club have a stand at this years Simply Jaguar event at the National Motor Museum at Beaulieu, Hampshire on Sunday 26th June 2023

Tickets are available online here: https://www.beaulieu.co.uk/events/simply-jaguar/

TICKETS & PRICES
      Participant prices are only valid if arriving in a Jaguar and taking part in the rally. They are not valid for those arriving on foot.

Participants can make the most of our EARLY BIRD discount by booking before 28th February 2023.

Children under 5 require a ticket, this can be booked online free of charge.

Participant and visitor tickets will include entrance to the rest of the Beaulieu attraction, including the National Motor Museum, Palace House, Little Beaulieu, World of Top Gear, Beaulieu Abbey and its grounds and gardens.

The best time for viewing the Simply rally is between 10am and 2pm.

Adult

Child

Participants – Early Bird*

£14.00

£7.50

Participants – Standard & On The Day

£16.00

£8.00

Visitors

Normal admission applies.

Normal admission applies

*Early bird tickets are available until 28th February 2023

VEHICLE ENTRY
      Entry with your Jaguar is from 9am – 2pm. Please make sure you have your ticket printed or available on your phone, ready to be scanned on arrival.

Please do not arrive early for our Simply rallies as no facilities will be open prior to 9:30am.

Cars cannot leave and re-enter the grounds for the Simply rallies.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CLUB STAND ATTENDEE LIST

We do ask for a final update on numbers 2 weeks prior to the event following which we will send out club labels to you via email for you to then distribute out to club members. Club members then need to print and display these in their windscreen on arrival. This helps us then park you all in your club area together.

1. Trevor (admin)
      2.  Paj

• 5 replies
    • F-TYPE marks 75 years of Jaguar sports cars and its final model year update
      The Jaguar F-TYPE is the definitive Jaguar sports car from a rich bloodline spanning 75 years and including some of the most iconic models ever built

Forums

News

Membership