Stype 2.7 Diesel Glow Plugs

Dp27456

Hi to everyone and i look forward to using the site.I have loved jags since i was 18yrs old when i purchesed a XJ6 2.8 on a K reg.I have since had various models and purchased a 2005 2.7 diesel about 6wks ago.I love everything about it apart from a cold start problem which i presume to be glow plugs.I know you take engine plastic cover off,remove Oil filter housing but thats when ime not sure if i need to remove anything else to access glow plugs or if any special tools are required,any advise is appriciated,regards Dave.

• 11 months later...

How did you get on with changing your glow plugs as I have found myself in exactly the same situation, I am confident in doing DIY on any petrol engine but never worked on a Diesel engine yet, but it does not worry me. I have got my plugs and I'm going for it at the weekend, just wondered how u did or should I be really putting it into the garage to be done.

Hi Paul,

There is a site called fixya. 

Don't get onto it by googling it directly, but just google Jaguar 2.7 diesel - changing glow plugs and you can get to that site and get an answer without having to pay for it.

It details the procedure you will have to follow, and being experienced in these matters I think you will find it easy enough.

Let us know if you find that site OK.

Regards,

Peter.

Thanks Peter that was great advice, I will be doing the job tomorrow as it doesn't look too bad a job to do.

Let me know how you get on Paul.

The other thing you need to know about the 2.7 diesel is that the particulates filter needs a regeneration now and then  --  if you have the handbook it does mention this, and if you do a few longer runs in a month there will be no problems.  I do mostly shorter runs, so I give it an enjoyable hour at a nice 50 - 70 cruising speed.

Regards,

Peter.

Hi Paul

Its always worth getting the engine hot and then spraying some WD40 around the glow plugs so it can soak down the threads if poss.

Also, if the plugs are showing signs of being reluctant to undo then wind them back in and out until they loosen but don't force them as if they break then you will have mega problems.

Regards   Trevor

• Like 1

Let me know how you get on Paul.

The other thing you need to know about the 2.7 diesel is that the particulates filter needs a regeneration now and then -- if you have the handbook it does mention this, and if you do a few longer runs in a month there will be no problems. I do mostly shorter runs, so I give it an enjoyable hour at a nice 50 - 70 cruising speed.

Regards,

Peter.

It is all done, took an hour and a half but she is running sweet, it looked as though they had been the original plugs from new, not bad as they have done 63000 miles, I knew about the filter, I bought some stuff to put in the diesel but I must admit I do the same as you and just give it a run now and again.

• 1 month later...

I would just like to let u all know, I believe I was very lucky with my glow plugs as a friend has an identical car as mine and no garage will touch it as they will shear off and then u have to take off the heads, even his local Jaguar garage turned him away. I have found him a garage and one has sheared n the first 3. I will let u all know next week on the out come but he is thinking of getting rid an doing back to petrol, you might get less mpg but u don't get the hefty garage bills.

Hi Paul,

That is  bit strange --  Jaguar dealer turning him away!

I don't think you were lucky with your glow plus,  just careful.

Nowadays, and probably due to having company cars for 30 years I get someone else to do the oily bits, and for the last 12 years I have had the same mechanic who has his own mobile business.

Let us know how your friend gets on.

Regards,

Peter.

I have been in touch with a Jaguar mechanic and he says there is no need to change glow plugs unless they fail but in his years at Jaguar he has never had to do one, it's more likely to be fuel injectors, but use good quality fuel and give them a good run now and again to clean the filter out you should have trouble free motoring. So that's me mate sorted and put my mind at rest as I was seriously thinking of going back to petrol engines as they don't scare me with the mechanics.

Funny you should say that, Paul.  My wife said that we might have chosen the wrong type of engine.  I do give the car a good run every couple of weeks with some faster acceleration using the S button to keep the revs up and both turbochargers going.  It seems to work.

I also note the advice of the Jaguar mechanic, which is useful.  The 2.7 engine used in the S Type is an engine produced by a Peugeot/Ford collaboration and is regarded as quite technologically advanced.

Peter.

• 5 years later...

Not only technologically advanced but the most economical engine I've ever had for a Jag. High 30s around town and up to 50 on a run !

Incredible for such a powerful engine and a car known to be a real gas guzzler.

If I ever have to get rid, I'll be getting the same engine. I've heard that one of the Land Rovers use the same block as it's so reliable and strong.

Ross

Welcome to the club, Ross.

You are quite right.

I have had my s type for over six and a half years, and get the same mph as you, near enough.

Apart from fuel and tyres, I have only had a water pump replaced, both EGR valves replaced, brake discs and pads, a few bulbs and one rear reversing sensor, which is not bad at all.

I am going to keep it for ever!

Regards,

Peter.